hair loss and itchy scalp

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

hair loss and itchy scalp

Hello, I have had some serious hairloss in the last few years.  Now my scalp itches and hurts and sometimes feels like something is crawling around my scalp.  What could this be and can I stop the hair loss.  It's getting pretty severe.  I have tried rogaine for woman did nothing, tried some herbal shampoo did nothing.  I had blood work done they said my thryroid is fine.  I went to a dermatologist and he said I had a thinning of the hair and that was it.  I eat right, take vitamins, excercise regularly.  I really don't have much stress.  I am a stay at home mom.  I am 43 and went through menapause early.  I have not had a period in 2 years and am not on any hormone replacement.  My scalp is really making me irritable.  Can I stop the hair loss and the feeling I'm having on my scalp?
Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.
Sincerely,
BethAnn
One of the possibilities for your symptoms is telogen effluvium. Under normal circumstances hair growth in each hair follicle occurs in a cycle. There are three main phases of the hair growth cycle; anagen, catagen and telogen. Anagen is the active growth phase when hair fibre is produced, catagen is a period of controlled regression of the hair follicle and telogen is the resting phase.  

It is nonscarring alopecia characterized by diffuse hair shedding, often with an acute onset. There is a chronic form also which persists for a longer duration and starts with insidious onset. Chronic telogen effluvium is hair shedding lasting longer than 6 months. Treatment consists of medications like Minoxidil, surgical approach(hair transplantation) and improvement in diet.

My sincere advice is to consult a trichologist and get this possibility ruled out. In the meantime take care of your diet and eat a healthy nutritious diet.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.