hole in skin

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

hole in skin

I have a small deep hole that has a red dot down in the bottom. It's on the top right shoulder/ back.
Avatar n tn
I need help!!!! i was looking at my legs and noticed small black holes ingraved in my leg it didnt hurt but itched and burned!!! it has come  11/15/08 around 10:00 when my mother was worried.... the are very tiny black holes in a huge red spotand they dont look like they were made but carved beacause they were alined very perfect theres 5......
Avatar n tn
i really nneed your help.... i may think its inflamed skin or spider bites maybe even skin cancer !!

Thanks for writing in. There can be several causes leading to such deep holes in the skin. It will be difficult to assess exactly what these might be due to but you may find the information given useful.

The small deep hole as in your shoulder skin or back can be a sinus tract that usually develops in response to a deep-seated skin infection or acne. It is an abnormal channel in the body that opens into the environment on one end. A sinus tract typically leads from a focus of infection in deeper tissues to the skin surface. It may even discharge pus/ fluid on the skin surface.

Resembling sinus-tracts are ice pick scars that are atrophic scars remaining after acne. They are deep with a very narrow skin opening and extend into the dermis. The skin looks as if it has a small, deep "hole" in it. They develop after an infected cyst or other deep lesion causes tissue destruction during the healing process and results in a column like scar. Such scars can be treated with punch excision or punch grafting.
You should consult a dermatologist for a diagnosis, who may refer you to a surgeon if required for proper management.

Take care

i have mrsa.  and i get the holes and the dots.  the sores won't heal until that dot is out.  if i leave it alone, it gets big.  and sometimes it turns black under the skin.  i peel off and it stinks.
Hi. I have the same problem. My skin is infected and there is that channel you mentioned that produces pus. Is it normal for it to do that and will it heal without a scar?
         I've noticed that i have small round holes and some elongated holes on my face. There are tiny new ones still forming. I never had acne and i have slightly dry skin so i have no clue why and where im getting these holes from? how can i get hide of them?
I have a big sore behind my ear on the side of my head about the size of my ear this hole thing at one time was one big sore but appears to have healed and now looks like dried skin, my problem is at the bottom of this big sore is now a gapping hole and a long split where my ear meets my head down in the lobe area it Will not heal it always bleeds and appears as if it's making canyons in my skin and deforming me back there I have had this for several years now can anyone please help me and tell me what this is my dr. could not.
I think you should stop picking at our and cutting it with knives and **** like that dull hole.