ingrown hairs, shaving disasters

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

ingrown hairs, shaving disasters

hi doc,
for as long as i started shaving i always had some kind of problem with my NECK area (not face). When younger it was just redness which now has completely evolved into ingrown monsters.
When i shave with an electric shaver or blade (the lowest amount being 3) no matter what i do, shave in the shower, going with the grain (doesnt cut my hair!), going against the grain, only going one pass hot water, exfoliate before and after, use all sorts of creams, glycolic acid washes salycilic acid washes etc. i get and enourmous amount of these pinpoint pimples (with tiny white heads) by the time i wake up the next morning. some of these are full blown ingrowns  or on they're way to becoming so, it usually take me a wk or so for these for me to be able to even start tweezing them out.
as a result for the past 5 years all i have been doing is trimming my beard (which i probably get up to 10 ingrowns per trim regardless) which isnt so  bad but id like to be clean shaven.
my dermatologist put me on desonex that didnt work
so then he prescribed me keflex 500mg 3x daily and considering i had come off a couple of nasty infections by which i was already  taking antibiotics (z-pack for sinus infection and doryx for some MRSA) by GP wanted me to lay off the antibiotics for a while. So as such do i take the keflex for my ingrown/foculitis whatever it is?
Ive seen "ethnic" depilatory creams for african american men in cvs can i try that (im white)?
or am i looking at some kind of lazer treatment as my only option, if so are they covered do you know in general if they would be covered by a typical insurance provider?

thank you
not desonex* desonate whoops my bad
From the symptoms it looks like pseudofolliculitis barbae. It is more commonly found in men who shave their faces. It is because of ingrowing of the shaved hair which may present as pimples. To prevent it water soften the beard first with a hot, wet washcloth for five minutes and then shave.  Other treatment options include shaving in a different direction, tweezing, exfoliating with facial scrubs, sponges, towels or creams containing acid and ibuprofen or other NSAIDs. Topical application of dilute glycolic acid and salicylic prepared solutions are also helpful. You can consult a dermatologist and discuss these treatment options with him.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.