Dermatology Expert Forum
irritated, red skin on penis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

irritated, red skin on penis

Dr. Rockoff,

Today I noticed redness on the head of my penis with some red dots in that area that remind burst vessels. That area is more sensitive to touch now sort of like irritated possibly from rubbing and feels so during friction. I also noticed on that area the skin has a few circular micro tears - sort of like it's peeling off.

I recall having something like that years ago - maybe 6-8 years ago. Didn't go to a doctor - it went away by itself.

I'm very worried about this. What could it be? Does that sound like STD?

I have tinea versicolor for a few years now it reappears from time to time especially during summer when it's humid. Two years ago Doctor gave me Selenium Sulfade and Naftifine 1% which I use if some spots appear. Maybe the spot on my penis is somehow connected to this?

I hope it's just a simple irritation.

Thank you very much Dr.Rockoff.
This does not sound like an STD, and certainly is not tinea versicolor.  Mild irritation or eczema seem much more likely.  I advise a trial of a weak steroid, like 1% hydrocortisone.  If that doesn't clear things up, a visit to a dermatologist would make sense.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff

Dr. Rockoff ,

Thank you so much for answering. I noticed inside of my foresking (when pulled back) has redness and scaly area. Would that affect your initial opinion? Could tha tbe balanitis or yeast infection? Would east infection mean that I contracted it through sexual intercourse? I don't take any antibiotics and I don't think I have diabeteis. Last time I had sex was 4 weeks ago.

I think I had that redness a few months ago on the inside of my foreskin but I didn't pay much attention to it and it went away in a week or so. Maybe irritation to soap? I wash my penis at least once a day with soap.

Thank you very much.
Dr. Rockoff,

Just one more detail - the red irritated area doesn't feel that irritated today to touch as it was yesterday. Though yesterday it was right after a sexual activity which maybe cause more irritation. Today I don't notice the small tears that I mentioned to you about. Again maybe they were more noticeable yesterday because the penis was still erect when I looked at it.

Also, the area around the penis opening is a little more redish than usual too. No burning sensation when urinating, nothing is itching.

Sometimes when I wash my penis with soap I may feel a little burning sensation when I urinate but that only happens once shortly after i wash it with soap. I noticed this reaction to soap long long ago. This reaction to soap may happen very rarely - maybe once a year-two. But I never had any redness as a result.

Just wanted to give you more information so you could make a better determination.

What do you think? Does this additional information affect your initial opinion?

Sorry for multiple posts - just worried about this. Thank you very much!