itchy areola

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

itchy areola

The last few days I have noticed my left areola has been itchy. Never had this before. There is also a real small bump that is the same skin color as the areola. Should I be worried about the itching?
Hi - definitely bring it up with your doc since there's a bump.  However - it Could be your bra.  Sometimes materials (ones that don't allow your skin to breathe well) cause this.  If this might be a possibility - try more of a cotton bra for a week and see if it makes a difference.  Good luck!
Itching on the areola can be due to cloth allergy , contact dermatitis to the bra, soaps, detergents, eczema, fungal infection or Paget’s disease of the nipple. Wear cotton clothes and apply warm compresses and topical antiseptics on the area. Then apply some topical antibiotics cream like Neosporin. For the eczema, apply hypoallergenic moisturizers and topical steroids after consulting a dermatologist. You can take some antihistaminics to relieve the itching.

If the symptoms are severe and there is deep cracking then Paget’s disease has to be ruled out. I hope it helps. Take care and please do keep us posted on how you are doing.

Hi you seem to know about this, so i'm suffering here. I have the same and my doctor prescribed steroids sometimes it works and other times it does not, I've had this for almost a year now. it comes and goes. I am 21 years old, i don't know what to do!
Try tea tree oil for scalp. Small bottle. walmart in aisle for african american. It's gentle. Use bras with soft breathable material...no foam. When you shower no soap on nipples, but when you are done, put alittle tea tree oil & dry with towel or air dry. Use it anytime, but i only have to do it in the morning and night. I've had 2 tiny very itchy bumps and no doctor or mamogram (mammogram) or ultra sound or blood test has found a solution yet. I have been with this problem for about 5yrs. It comes and goes. Oh, no caffinated coffee. That triggers it too. Hope this help