itchy arms = BRACHIORADIAL PRURITUS

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Viewing 601-706 comments:
I suffer from the same problem.
I have been reading so many posts hoping for help. My itching is on my arms-once in a while near my ankles. Mine comes in August and leaves around Oct. I look for natural medicines because chemicals like parabens (known carcinogen) found in most commercial remedies, cause more problems for me like hives.
Here are a few things that help:
Zyflamed from Vitamin Shoppe for internal inflammation-safe to take- does slow the itching a lot.
Colloidal Silver to heal the sores caused from scratching. Apply to paper towel hold on wounds.
Indian Healing Clay helped a lot.
BUT HERE IS WHAT JUST HAPPENED!!! I was reading another post and someone suggested pure coconut oil.
I have that in the house so I decided to go put some on my badly scratched arms and... I am NOT ITCHING!!! Already 20 minutes has passed!!
This might be the easiest remedy ever if it continues to work!
Please try it and spread the word if it works for you!
This suggests it might be fungal -which I did suspect-coconut oil is anti-fungal. That (fungus) would be normal during the summer- in lakes and at the beach in moist conditions... even humidity.
I suffer from the same problem.
Here are a few things that help:
Zyflamed from vitamin Shoppe for internal inflammation-safe to take- does slow the itching a lot.
Indian Healing Clay helped a lot.
I have that in the house so I decided to go put some on my badly scratched arms and... I am NOT ITCHING!!! This might be the easiest remedy ever if it continues to work!
This suggests it might be fungal -which I did suspect-coconut oil is anti-fungal. That (fungus) would be normal during the summer- in lakes and at the beach in moist conditions even humidity.
Hi Erin- Nice of you to consolidate all of the better cures-thank you.
I wanted to share this because I am literally in shock that I just stopped my itching-please read my post from about 20 minutes ago.
I suffer from the same problem.
Here are a few things that help:
Indian Healing Clay helped a lot.
I cannot beleive how long this blog is. Please research the effects of ASPERTAME. It is in so many foods, drinks, gums, candies that we all eat and are not aware of it. It is POISON. Google it, youtube it, get it out of your life and hopefully the itch etc will stop.
Hi LeslieAZ, I've been trying to post for several times now and I don't seem to be able to post. Not sure why....so I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. Plus I haven't been on this site in quite a while.

Welcome! I am sorry to hear that you are a sufferer too however. I wish you much success in finding what works for you. Not sure where your other posting is that you speak of, but yes, you can repost on this one if the site allows you.

No, you're not the only one =) This site is full of people who have had it for many years and have offered a wealth of information, you just have to weed through a lot of newer postings rehashing the same kinds of info. Genuine BRP is caused by compression of the nerves in the neck...typically C4-C6...could be due to many different things: whiplash, disc herniation, arthritic changes etc. Once the compression is there and inflammation takes hold all sorts of things exacerbate the problem (sun, heat, certain sleeping positions, hormones, itchy clothing, certain activities that increase compression/inflammation etc.) so your best bet is to find what's causing yours and decrease the inflammation.

Good luck! Should you have any questions or simply want/need support, you can always email me at 'my nic here' @ M S N with a dot and a com after that.
Accupuncture is saving my life. Thought it might help you.
I tried acupuncture years ago...didn't help....as an update for me, I had an MRI and it did show wear and tear in the C5, 6, areas of my neck...I had an injection of cortizone and it did not work....I waited 3 weeks and had another injection...this time I tipped my head downward and actually  felt the injection run down my arm...I SO hoped this one would work  but have to say, it has not...the last injection was $1,200 !  I have insurance, but can u believe that amount???  They charged 900 just for the "anesthesia"...I wasn't knocked out but given a numbing injection...I go back on the 27th of this month....wondering what they're gonna come up with now?  Anyone ever try Cymbalta?  I am SO over this...27 years of it...no wonder I drink.  I read where maybe Botox does the trick....I'll try it if it's covered...I' m so over this....miserable
Hello, my name is Cindy and I'm 32 years old. I have been suffering with itchy upper arms for about 3 to 4 years. Since it comes and goes, I always thought it was an allergy thing, like I was eating something I was allergic to. When it first started I went to my doctor and he told me that it was probably a fungus on my skin, and there was nothing I could do for it. He totally brushed me off and made me feel like I was crazy. I haven't had a flare up in probably over a year, but it has started again a few weeks ago. It has been really bad, scabs and bleeding on both my upper arms from all the itching, which is especially bad at night. I finally decided to search "itchy upper arms" and I found all these posts. It is nice to hear that I'm not crazy and to find some answers. I always had a feeling it was maybe related to my neck. I can never find a pillow that is comfortable, and I always sleep on my side. I am going to try sleeping on my back without a pillow tonight and I'll also try the vicks. Hopefully that works. I can't afford medical insurance, so the thought of having to go do all those tests and possible be on a daily medication is scary for me. Thanks to everyone that has posted, it is very helpful to have a name to this condition and comforting to know that I'm not alone!!
I have had this condition off and on for 4 yrs, more on lately.. I was told the first time I had shingles, but I never had any blisters or swollen glands.. I went back to doc for 3rd time yesterday and he said 99.9% sure not shingles.. Think maybe eczema :(.. Gave me some cream and sent me home saying back in 7-10 days if no relief..

I as well have ALL the symptoms, itching biting burning and sometimes feeling of being shocked from the inside..I took Benedryl for a few days it did help thought I licked it, but then it didn't work anymore.. Cold water seemed to relieve it some...My first outbreak was back in 08 in the winter months.. then didn't have another til last november.. Now this one flared this past august shortly after moving into our new home.. Hasn't quit yet.. I am so that u are all suffering with this, but yet so glad I am NOT alone in this horrific battle of the unknown..

I suffer from arthritis, fibromyalgia, celiacs, degenerative disc desease high blood pressure, diabetes High cholesterol just so many things and now this.. GGGRRRRRR I wanna just cut my arm off, it is in my upper left arm and these past few days some itching is also occuring on shoulers and other arm and sometimes legs and ankles.. GGGRRRR if this attacks my whole body I do not know what I am gonna do.. I have had eczema on my scalp for yrs and as long as I do not sweat alot it stays under control.. going through the change of life is not helping at all.. thank you all for making this place, I at least know I can chare things with those who understand..... My Name is Tammy...
I've been suffering for 1+ year with BRP.  I started going to a personal trainer last year in July to help me get over my weight loss slump and get into shape.  After about a 1 1/2 months of training, I finally started hitting the free weights.  It was soon after that I kept having to get my back adjusted...alot!!  In Jan. I started having trouble with my rotator cuff and about 4 months ago my left shoulder blade started going numb.  The reason I say all of this is because my itching did not start until after about 2 months of going to the personal trainer/getting back injuries.  After a year of being told my itch was due to allergies, stress, anxiety..etc....Being given antihistamines, antidepressants, sleeping pills and even allergy shots (which I have been getting for 9 months with no success) I had finally had enough!!  I recently went back to my PCP armed with info on BPR.  He had never heard of it.  He read the info over and seemed to take me seriously.  He gave me Gabapentin 100mgs once a day...which had been magical!!  I have an appointment with a neurologist in November to see what damage had been done to my back.  I, like everyone else, want an answer!!
Has anyone tried an osteopath?  My dermatologist suggested accupuncture or hypnotherapy but wondered how an osteopath would go, as they work on the internal flow on the body?
I've had BRP for at least ten years, and your post really stood out. (I've spent hours reading up on this miserable, horrible condition.)  

I had a therapeutic massage yesterday, and the exact same thing happened. Felt great, but at 5:00 this morning I thought I was going to lose my mind. Even the ice pack didn't help...and that's a first. I actually googled "brp, depression and suicide" to get to this forum.  No one understands how life-altering this condition is.

But I know one thing...no more massages!
I have been suffering for 24 years and just properly diagnosed by a pain management doctor who is treating me successfully with Lyrica and laser therapy to my neck, shoulders and upper back.  I got relief after the second treatment and 2 weeks on Lyrica.  This condition is debilitating since you are up all night scratching, bleeding, icing and completely sleep deprived.  Some days, I spent up to 5 hours scratching and bleeding.  I hope this was helpful to all who are suffering from and experiencing this painful and depressing condition.
Pat
I am in total agreement with the hormone explanation. I started a cleanse and noticed that my arms weren't itching. After the 5 days I introduced carbs and meat back into my diet and the itching came back with a vengeance! I started the cleanse again a couple of days ago but modified it and the itching is still a big problem. I'm thinking it's because I modified the cleans to a diet and included meat in my dinners. I am going to try going without now and see if that helps. I do believe that white flour also plays a role, or maybe it is just plain carbs in general. If I can lose weight and get relief from the itching, it is a win win! I also plan on trying other suggestions to stay away from anything with aspartame, can't hurt
Hi all. I'm new to this community and am suffering from the awful itch which starts with a warm sensation then the hair on my arms stand up.  It started 2 years ago (June 2010) after I returned from summer vacation in Florida.  It lasted 3-4 weeks.  I returned to Florida for vacation this year (July 2012) and the itch returned.  My legs, right above and below the knees itch as well as my arms upper and lower.  I've tried the Aveeno and taking showers and applying vaseline before I dry off.  That only provided a small relief.  To my surprise, carmex, yes carmex, provided me with relief.  It provides a cool sensation similar to vicks.  I will definitely purchase the vicks and give it a try.  Another issue I've had is my TSH levels were off.  I had a thyroidectomy in 2003 so I've dealt with trying to keep my levels accurate, but being hyper or hypo TSH can also trigger itching.  I pray that we all find the source of the problem.  God Bless you all!!!
Where do you place the pads for the TENS machine I have one but am itchy and need releif let me know!

Lisa
PS I think I have BRP
Hello everyone! I have been suffering with this for about a year and it definitely is BRP. I have been wondering if it could have any connection to herpes. Considering this is a fairly anonymous forum, I'm wondering if anyone would be willing to "fess up" to also having the big "H!" I do and wonder if there could be a connection. While looking into gabapentin, I saw that one use  of it is to treat pain from shingles and herpes virus. Got me thinking... anyways, sitting here with ice packs strapped to my arms...desperate for relief.
I have had this since I was 21 years old and I am now 46. I know what is causing MY BRP (brachial radial pursitus) is from cervical spinal  stenosis. C2-C7 control the nerves that are responsible for skin sensation from the scalp down. I have lumbar stenosis that will affect my legs. I will be totally bruised on my legs and bleeding on my shoulders, arms, and top of hands. Lovely. I have had my share of sun damage,too. I have taken lithium and it has really helped-a lot. If I forget to take it for a while my itch will come back. Lithium helps heal the nerves and something else to go along with spinal cord and brain signals being blocked in the itching somehow. There is info out there. I see a neurosurgeon soon. My MRI's show spinal stenosis due to arthritis and a list of problems. Not sure what's going to happen. I don't want any surgery but I have suffered for so long I am going to give it serious consideration. None of what I wrote may help all who are suffering but if you've tried ice packs then we are starting from the same place. If only one person can find relief, not just from itching but for a REAL diagnosis, then I hope it's you!!! God bless my itchy sleepy comrades.
I too have this problem it doesn't seem to matter where I lie down at, this
is when it starts.  Mine is both upper arms.  I have no rash.  I take gabapentin this doesn't seem to help.  Sometimes I feel like I will go out of my mind.  I also read that this could be an early sign of MS.
Where do you purchase Max Freeze?
I bought Max Freeze at the local drug store. It is easy to find
Hello just reading your post im going threw same thing pain and itch unbearable i itch so bad feels like bees or bites on my arms doctors dont know how to help me itching pills and other pills none work, what do you take for your arms?
Have any of you tried going GLUTEN FREE ?
I am now trying "GLUTEN FREE" for a month - from what I have read the skin can be a sign of a Gluten problem.  I will try to let you know if it works.
I had no idea  there was an actual diagnosis for this insane itching. I went to see my Dermatologist yesterday, I showed her where this itching is on my arm, next to my elbow. You can't see anything, but she understood and diagnosed me immediately. My GP had no idea what was going on with me. I told the Dr yesterday that the only thing that works is ice. She understood all to well. She prescribed "Hylatopic Plus Cream" for dry skin. And Triamcinolon 0.1% for itching. When I got to the pharmacy to pick up my prescription of the Hylatopic, she said it would be $190.00. I went home, google searched the drug, went to the website and printed up a coupon and ended up paying only $25.00 and this coupon is good for two more refills. So if any of you has this prescribed, go to the website and print the coupon! It comes in a 15.9 oz jar, so it will last a very long time! Good luck!
Wow, I can hardly believe I have found this forum.  For years I have thought I was a little crazy, but not after reading all your comments.  I have had itchy arms for years, mostly in the summer or when visiting warm climates.  Now I know I'm not alone.  It has been worse lately, and all over my upper body.  I have a terrible cold and have been taking lots of the usual over the counter stuff.  Could that be making it worse?  Possibly, don't know.  I take hydroxyzine which seems to alleviate the itching, but ice is the only sure thing.  Gets a little tricky sleeping with an ice pack.  I will continue to monitor the forum and look for helpful info.  Thank you all.    Mz12
I have been suffering for quite a few years with the itchy arms as well and today have found this forum....its like an overwhelming feeling of comfort knowing I am not alone and good to know I may finally be  on too something.

It causes me to be grouchy and depressed and even when the itch subsides, that lingering feeling it could start at any moment is sometimes too much to take and now that I am going through menapause as well with hot flashes, I am so irratable at times its driving me mad. The constant scracthing is causes tough skin to form on my arms which has only increased the itch. When I shower and my arms get wet there is always a layer of a grayish thick substance that I can litterally srcape off no matter how many times I shower in a day. I am thinking this is damage due to the constant itching during my sleep.
This year it is worse than ever before and now I have developed a tail bone issue as well. I am 51 and all of a sudden my tail bone feels like I broke it and when I go to stand up from a sitting position the pain is unbearable. I also am noticing pain and discomfort in the backs of my legs, a feeling that the tendons are tightening up and I have to pull my knees up and stretch out the legs in order to function for the day.

I was wondering if any of you have developed these symptoms along with the itching after a few years. I do have sun damage ( red haired and freckled complexion) and was diagnosed with Squamous Cell skin cancer on my face. I am to see my dermatologist soon and will be enquiring more about about Brachioradial Pruritis when I see him.
I have been suffering for quite a few years with the itchy arms as well and today have found this forum....its like an overwhelming feeling of comfort knowing I am not alone and good to know I may finally  on too something.

It causes me to be grouchy and depressed and even when the itch subsides, that lingering feeling it could start any any moment is sometimes too much to take. The constant scracthing is causes tough skin to form on my arms which has only increased the itch.
This year it is worse than before and now I have developed a tail bone issue as well. I am 51 and all of a sudden my tail bone feels like I broke it and when I go to stand up from a sitting position the pain is unbearable. I also am noticing pain and discomfort in the backs of my legs, a feeling that the tendons are tightening up and I have to pull my knees up and stretch out the legs in order to function for the day.
I was wondering if any of you have developed these symptoms along with the itching after a few years. I do have sun damage ( red haired and freckeled complexion) and was diagnosed with Squamous Cell skin cancer on my face. I am to see my dermatologist soon and will be enquiring more about about Brachioradial Pruritis when I see him.
I am at my wit's end with this problem , on my left arm.. Have had the problems for well over 12 years and to no avail have i had any relief.. One doctor i saw years ago, just dismissed it and i was made to feel it was all in the mind.!  I am so relieved to know that this insatiable itch is not in my mind and i am not going crazy... My only relief is ice, and more ice, in the form of ice packs.. but can it get any worse..?  i think so...enough for me to find this website.. First up today to get some Vicks menthol.. I will try anything.. absolutely anything...Definitely is at it's worst at the moment, waking me up evening and early hours of the morning.. Any sort of pressure, i.e.. lying on my arm on the side the worst!  For years i used to sleep without a pillow and now as i am a CPAC user, i find a pillow necessary.. However, cannot relate the problem being any less, with or without a pillow...thank you to you all who have written about this hideous problem...
Hi Everyone

I haven't posted on here for a long time.  I have suffered from on/off itching for years, it was much more intense and unbearable when I was pregnant (have had 3 pregnancies) and every doctor I asked about BP said no I was just having a "pregnancy itch", and even when I explained I itched outside of pregnancy - they didn't believe me.
Anyway I have had Bowen Therapy a few times, and my lovely lady wants to try and help.  I have ridden horses since I was 2, so we worked together through my memory (as she asked if I had ever had neck/back injury)  and I have realised no doubt I have had damage to my tail bone from riding all those years, which connects to your neck (she explained this in detail a lot better than I can lol) but she thinks that could be part of it.  She also said that I am very hot around my neck and arms - I find it hard to wear t-shirts as it annoys me so pretty much only wear singlets.
Does anyone else have heat there along with the itch?  I am constantly told by people in shops etc "oooh someones got a bit of sun today" and the like, when I know I haven't been in the sun at all, am just kind of flushed at the top of my torso!
ANYWAY the main reason I am writing is I am going back to have a bit more Bowen at the end of the month, but last time I was there (a few weeks back) she gave me a jar of this green cream from Thailand.
****MIRACLE CREAM ALERT!!******
I have still had itching, mainly at night and some very intense ones - I put the cream on, and within 10 minutes - relief, and within 1/2 hour, no itching AT ALL!!
Most of the the jar is written in Thai but I have finally found the website.  It's quite cheap to buy - I would definitely give it a try - it is the ONLY cream that has worked for me and I wish I had found it much earlier.  It is herbal and has peppermint in it which is the cooling, but I am telling you all it is FANTASTIC!!
I don't know where the website ships to but I see it is in US dollars - so $7.95 USD a jar.  (I am in Australia, my Bowen Therapists brings it home in bulk from regular trips to Thailand)
Worth a try and cheap enough - I hope it works for everyone, I know I have tried at least 20 different creams with no good results.
here is the link to the site:
http://www.thaibalm.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=49 -
While it's no miracle "cure" at least its good relief!
Good luck everyone, may you be itch free
let us know if it works for you
Cheers
Belinda
I have lived with same for many years (10-ish) first feeling as if under the skin's surface with no visible signs. After about 5 years of itching the arms/elbows (mostly at nighttime) the sores appeared and scarring from scratching. What helped me the most was topical applications of (not at the same time): raw red wine vinegar, colloidal silver gel, and Dr. Willard's aloe gel. My diet is very clean: certified organic, no gmo's (as much as i can control),no sugar, mostly fruits and veggies and green superfoods, omega 3 and GLA. Sometimes I used liquid borgage oil or evening primrose oil topically for some relief.

Does anyone have ideas on why it affects the arms? Are the arms related to certain organ meridians connected with the arms?
thanks Belinda...will check it out even though my arms haven't bothered me for the first time in a decade during the past 2 weeks...
what I can gather from reading the posts here and my own experience:
some damage to the neck (or in my case possibly tailbone which in turn sends messages to neck) which has caused nerve damage.  The nerves in the neck run down your shoulders and arms.  The itching is actually a type of pain, but sadly we feel the itch instead - this is why ice & cooling gels help.  It's also the reason for mis-diagnosis, confusion, frustration and midnight googling lol!!
I am going to continue to go and have Bowen Therapy to help realign my body to see if it will help.
Cheers
ps glad to here your itch has gone for 2 weeks - keep up the itch-free!
just to recap on what I said before; I was sitting in the car today and the hot sun beamed in on my arms, I started to feel the itch which got me thinking - heat on an injury is a big no-no, so I guess if our nerves are damaged, then of course it makes sense that heat aggravates it and ice helps it, which could be why so many people think it's damage from the sun... so I think maybe not.
Also I think I left out a vital piece of information that my Bowen Therapist gave me in relation to the tailbone sending messages to the neck thing - she said that a lot of neck problems are actually stemmed from tailbone injuries - in my case she did a bit of work on my tailbone but I have to go back to have my pelvis tweaked to help realign everything.....so you could have a chiropractor/physio etc work on your neck because it is sore, but to no avail... but if your tailbone is causing the problem it could be putting your neck out - food for thought! Get your tailbone area checked out?
Hey there, I have had 3 pregananceis, and two births with epidurals. I itched intensely in all three pregnancies (last one being the worst), so for me, epidurals rules that out.  It's been 2 years since I have had my last baby and I seem to itch towards the end of summer and into Autumn, otherwise the rest of the year it tends to ease ... it certainly is an odd thing!
I have had this exact condition for over 20 years.  I just read an article from a Dr. Baily where she states that there is now an explanation for itch arms.  Basically it  a problem caused by a nerve impingement in the spine.  If you are interested in reading the article, here is the website.

http://www.drbaileyskincare.com/blog/a-new-explanation-for-intensely-itchy-arms/
I have been gluten free for almost a year, with occasional slip ups. While it has caused major inflammation to go down and I no longer suffer from debilitating Plantar fasciitis in both feet, I still have occasional bouts of BRP ---this time it came back in my right arm instead of my left arm. It's tied to a nerve compression in my neck/arm or shoulder. He suspects my shoulder since my posture is not the best and I tend to slump a lot. It stems from c5/6 area, and needs intense treatment which is like "rug burn" to your arm/armpit, elbow joint area, but is necessary to get it to release. Find a chiropractor that treats it. Most likely an ART trained chiropractor (Active Release Technique) to get some relief. I'm going back today. I have an out of town trip planned next week and want it to be mostly subsided by then if possible. :(
Thanks to all of you for giving this affliction a name!  Over the years, I've been told it's "in my head," been to 4 derms, other docs,  including therapy.  Have used every anti-itch cream, both OTC and script, all for naught.

Finally found this community, and ran out yesterday to try the Capzasin-HP, thanks to you.  The burn is much preferable to the insane itching!

This thing has ruined my life.  Frightened small children!  It gets so bad that I get terribly infected and swollen, then morfs into a flesh eating bacteria.  It's not seasonal, either.

There is still alot more to read here, thanks again to all of you... just wanted to give a general shout out: THANKS!  Not alone anymore...
just reposting this link to the ONLY cream that has ever worked for me and its all natural Thai herbal medicine:

http://www.thaibalm.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=49

it is a cream specifically for nerve problems especially itching, only about $8, worth a try!  Just letting you all know as it definitely helped me!!
It has been a few years since I have looked at this. I stand by my comments 2 years ago that adjusting your spine is a cure. ever since i started popping my own back often, i have not had this problem. your nerves are connected through your spine so it makes sense. learn to pop your back or see a chiropractor/doctor.

i dont think meat hormones have anything to do with this. I have been vegetarian/vegan for 15 years. my forearms still itched like mad. I think its neuro related
Thank you for this web site from Dr. Bailey.  Will check it out. The other woman's comment out hormones in meat, poultry as the culprit can ot be true as I am a veghead and have never consumed the hormones tho I believe them to bring on other diseases.  I have had the same fairly "clean" diet for years. My flareup happened when a became stressed due to a new high demanding job.  The theory that the one person suggested about nerve compression could have some validity. Ice is the best relief product but yes we need to  address the root of the problem.  Good luck to all fellow suffers. Keep communicating!
Yes I have had for years upper arm itching. Mainly when lying down...,mine is caused from disk compression in the lower neck. I damaged my neck years ago.  Deep therapy and manipulation, stretching the neck fixes it.   I have. A Physio who does manipulation on my neck.  But a chiro can do it too.
I have this done once a month .  
Hope his helps.
June (Australia)
***@****
Yes, I am gluten free and have been for 12 years.  It has helped me live a much healthier life but this arm itching has just started for me (although I remember periods of it at other points in my life, just not this bad).  I think it is worse for me after sun exposure.  But I also have other health issues mentioned--neck injury, low back injury, shingles and a change in hormones--I just turned 45.  I am also wondering about the meat/hormone theory. My itching tonight is so much worse than the night before and I ate a cheaper beef yesterday for lunch.  I live a very clean life-no dairy, wheat, corn.  I don't smoke and drink occasionally.  I've had a brilliant nutritionist for 10 years and cured my neck pain by seeing a chinese doctor but that doesn't mean structurally my back is better, I just don't have the pain.  At the beginning of writing this post, I put the coconut oil on my arm and the itching is subsiding. I take the coconut oil internally, daily to ward off shingles which I contracted three years ago.  I have taken not meds for it, just natural supplements and the coconut oil and have had no additional outbreaks.  If I get any answers from my nutritionist this week, I will post more.  So far, 15 minutes into it, the coconut oil is giving me relief.  Thank you!!
Yesterday I was at the point where you know in the next few scratches the blood is going to come. I had been itching/scratching for a few hours, trying to rub it, slap my arms, ice. In my bathroom I happened to see ICY HOT and thought I'd try it. It TOTALLY WORKED. That was in the morning and it was gone all day. That night it came back just in two little spots by my wrist, I put on the icy hot and it stopped. I'm writing this the next day and so far so good! The smell is pretty strong-who cares, maybe it comes in odor free IDK. I have also read capsaicin works. My derm knew right away what it was and offered me some RX pills, I''m not into that. I will say that it had stopped for about a month then I had a party and we were swimming and playing volleyball all day=lots of sun, and the next day it was back :(                                                                
Just and FYI- I have tried Emla cream & Sarna. The sarna feels nice and cool but did not help (maybe if u are having hot flashes you would like it) The Emla did nothing.
I have had this arm itching for about eight years. It starts about August 1st, and goes till about November 1st. A few years ago, I stopped wearing short-sleeved shirts outside. My arms never get any sun, and it has reduced the symptoms a lot. However, in the last couple of days (late July) I have felt it coming on again. I have used ice on my arms to relieve the itching. It is also helpful to use ice on my spine between the shoulders. Finally, I use antihistamines, Claritan/Loratadine, if it gets bad. Seems to work. Shutting off the sun seems important. However, my guess is that the time of year (Aug-Oct) in Chicago, matters. I don't get it in Florida if I am there in fall or spring. However, I do keep my arms covered there also. I do not that I have any spine disc or nerve problem. I have not had that checked. The specific seasonality of it makes me think there is plant that I may be allergic to.
I have had BRP for 10 years.   My "works every time cure" is Capsaicin.  It costs little to nothing OTC at your local drugstore.  It was developed for arthritis.  I have never had it not work almost immediately.   It basically shocks the nerves into forgetting they itch.   (My definition of how it works).   Only need to use it once for affected areas on my arms.   I go sometimes 6 months to a year without symptoms and when they crop up I apply the cream.  WORKS EVERYTIME FOR ME.
I have been dealing with the exact same thing for 10 yrs and so has my  mom. We are from Florida and I do think it has to do with the sun and stress. I have worked in the sun for 15 yrs. At one time I thought it was shingles even though there wasnt a rash. In the beginning it would start when I was stressed around the holidays and also flare up in the summer. Into my 8th yt I convinced my dr to give me Valtrex  and  took 3 pills a day and that would work but that stopped working after a while. Them I found that lidoderm pain patches that have lidocaine in them would help but eventually those stopped working like everything else. This last 2 months I havent found anything that helps. The ice packs work for a couple hours but thats it. Please help if anyone has found out anything else
I have found Super Lysine Plus cream to be very helpful.  I apply it to both arms twice a day and if it starts itching I reapply to the area.  Hope this will help you.
I too am a sufferer of the "itchy arm" syndrome for 21 years. I was dealing with Kaiser for about 16 of those years and always got the same prescription. Cortazone cream and an antihistamine. I was always told it was hives, and when I would ask to be tested they would never do it because I was always broken out, or had the itch. At times I would just deal with it because I knew going back to Kaiser would give me the same results. Needless to say I lost my Kaiser insurance and have a different insurance. So 2 years ago I went to see a dermatologist and within 5 minutes she diagnosed me with BRP. She prescribed an anti depressant not because she thought I was crazy (although I believed it), but to help me to sleep through the night. It honestly worked. I had no itching for 2 years!! Well,..... then went on a vacation to Mexico, and upon our returning home, I started to itch again. This time worse than the last episodes that I could remember. So, I revisited the dermatologist and have had no luck. Went to see a neurologist and she put me on Gavipentin (sp). Well that medicine makes me ill. So now I am back to square one. No sleep, itching, cranky, and no patients because I have had no sleep and have been itching at all hours of the day and night, and completely miserable!! My husband doesn't understand it and thinks I make these things up just so I don't have to be intimate. Its effecting my life in so many ways.
I will be seeking out Acupuncture at the neurologists request. I am willing to try ANYTHING!!
I was told by my neurologist that the itching and pain run on the same fibers in your body and that somewhere in my neck, where I have bad discs, its causing me to itch instead of feeling the pain......Any suggestions would be appreciated and I am so glad I am not the only person suffering from this stupid itch!!
I am on Cymbalta for something else and I still get the itching. I THINK that Excedrin Migraine (or generic equivalent) works for me. If I feel the itching coming on early in the evening, I take the med a couple of hours before bed and it seems to knock it out before bedtime.
I just put them an inch or two away from either end of the itchy area. One closer to my hand and one closer to my shoulder. It seems to help. It's the same theory as ice--bombard the nerves with something other than itch.
I am a fellow itchy upper arm sufferer or WAS, let's hope.  Itched and itched mostly at night for 9 weeks now.  Was reading the forum blogs about BRP and neck issues.  Decided to revisit my upper cervical chiropractor.  I was "out" meaning the Atlas bone was found not level so he adjusted me using the Sonic method.  Only a few specialist advanced orthogonal chiropractors do this.  Most use other methods that don't work as precisely as sonic.  Your organs are connected to the nerves going into your spinal column from your brain and if your Atlas bone (first one holding your brain) is crooked then the space is pinched for your spinal column nerves and they are affected.  I am hoping that my itch was the result of this pinching since my atlas bone was crooked today before the adjustment.  I had 3 dimensional x rays.  My Atlas , first bone below head, is now level and both my legs are the same length again.  I have had no itching so far and my arms scratched raw in places are relaxed.  I was taking hydroxyzine HCl which helped but made me drowsy and haven't taken any today since last night.  Hope this helps some or a lot of you.  I highly recommend getting to an advanced orthogonal chiropractor who has studied to use the sonic method.  There is one in St. Pete, FL; one or more in or near Atlanta and one I know of in Franklin, TN near Nashville.  
This is the first night in 8-9 weeks that my arms have not itched and not on any medicine or creams!  This occurred I think because of my neck adjustment by an expert in upper cervical orthogonal treatment who used the sonic method to adjust my Atlas bone (first one under your head, holds your brain).  I suspected my neck because my itching occurred mostly at night in that position and in the daytime in certain sitting positions.  Please see my comment above (Aug23,2013) to Linda165.
I truly feel (now FELT) your pain out there with the terrible itching that affects your life in so many ways.  Please search out  an advanced orthogonal chiropractor who has studied to use the sonic method and please have your Atlas adjusted.  All the nerves that flow through C4-C6 flow through your Atlas first.  The Atlas bone being level and straight is critical for best health!!!  There is one in St. Pete, FL; one or more in or near Atlanta, GA and one I know of in Franklin, TN near Nashville.  I know this method works miracles for some people because I have seen 3 people in my family with diverse problems including blindness, seizures and numbness, chronic sinus-nausea-migraines....all healed through this method....not always immediately, but definitely healed as long as they kept their Atlas in place through adjustment (meaning level and not crooked, see former Aug 23 comment).  Very important to go to an expert, see Aug23 comment.  My heart goes out to each of you.  
To Mel and Mel's mom; I have also lived in FL for about 15 years and get a lot of sun and am under a good bit of stress and have allergies so I can not say that the itching is not related to these for sure or maybe sun, stress and allergies can intensify it; that is a good possibility.  My upper arm itching is (was) always worse at night and in certain positions.  This lead me to believe it that maybe it could be related to nerves running down my spine.  Maybe the nerves in my spinal column were being pinched.  See my comments above dated 8-23 and 8-24.  I had my atlas bone adjusted last Friday.  Today is the following Tues. 27, Aug. and I can say that my itching has subsided 97% since the adjustment.  Have had a little bit of urge to itch, but can resist scratching and last night had none, no urge to itch at all.  This was such a horrible itching experience, like I have never had before.  Mine lasted for 9 weeks, no letup until now.  I am so happy and thankful that I just want to tell people.
This is what I use also. I previously had c-spine surgery having C3-7 replaced with plastic.  That was in 2007 and the itching began not long after.  At first I used the Capsasian 2-3 times a day.  After a few months, I didn't need it anymore.  Now the itching is back so I am using it once a day.

During a follow up with my neuro-surgeon, I explained that was going on and he admitted he had never heard of this condition.

I only advise using rubber gloves or cotton balls to put it on or buy the roller ball tube.  KEEP YOU FINGERS OFF YOUR ARMS.  Plenty of times I forget I applied it.  It is ordorless, colorless, but will burn your eyes shuld you touch your face if its still on your hands.
To everyone that suffers from Brachioradial pruritus, aka severe itching, burning, tingling, from the wrist to the elbow. I suffer with the same thing. Even have scars to prove it, anyhow...My mom just announced to me hers started about 30 years ago, so all this time, she has had it too! May be hereditary. She said the only thing that has ever remotely worked for her is peppermint lotion. I tried it, and it works wonders! I'm going to also try the peppermint oil. So, if you are like me, and will try anything, try the PEPPERMINT LOTION! It works wonders, and I'm actually sleeping at night now without ripping my arm to shreds.
Ive had itchy foearms off and on for years and found out it was BP from a dermatologist .It comes and goes ,I went the last two years without any flare ups but within the last month it has come back with vengence and I believe its from building a back porch on my home and working over head upsetting C5 and  C6 . I have tried many many lotions and only one ever worked and it was called Medetranian Olive Oil  Planet Spa from Avon which they no longer make .I used to use this and it would instantly stop the itching . I wish I knew the ingreident in this that actually worked because I would buy a truck load of it right now . IBUPROFEN AND ICE WORKS but need to find some other loyion simular to the one I was using that worked so well . But I am a poster child for everything all of you are talking about when it pertains to the very miserable itching in the forearms .Any suggestions are greatly appeciated
I've been on the internet for hours trying to find something that would make my arms stop itching.  I have been suffering for the last two weeks.  Thank you SO much for the coconut oil info.  I didn't even get to the end of your post before I put my laptop on the floor and ran to the kitchen. Ah, relief - I hope against hope that it lasts - even getting this respite is heaven.  Thank you.  
I have the intense itching on right arm only. I also have a pain at the back of the neck so after reading all these posts Im assuming this is possibly related. What should I ask the doctor about this? Previous times he/she has just said eczema take some cream which obv doesnt work. Does it need a scan for diagnosis?
Tammy and anyone reading this. I also have the same itching on my arms and one stop on my back. I PUT ICE PACKS ON THE ITCH AND IT KNUMBS IT, THEN IT STOPS ITCHING. I also take NEUROTIN, it is takes control of your nerve cells. That is what makes you itch. Just like people that take LYRICA. People that have diabetis or fibromalaga. get this itching. I get it every September.  I have fibromalaga. I was told by doctors.
I take Neurotin  3 times a day and once it is in your system it works FOR ME...Everyone is different.I stay on the neurotin for a few months until I know it is completely gone. Then I ween myself off of the neurotin. Good luck, I hope this helped.  My name is Alison
Hi, I  just went to use the Coconut oil on my shoulder. YES, it does work.
I just got back on my neurotin so it has not got in my system yet. But taking neurotin works for me. I use a ice pack also to numb the nerve. That makes it stop itching for a while, anyway. Good Luck. It is a nightmare to have this horrible burning itch.  I am driving my family crazy. I want to sit in a tub of ice just to numb my whole body.
Wow, you're the first post that I've read touting capsaicin as helpful with the itching.  I, too, have been finding some relief with it.  I haven't used the OTC cream yet.  Hardcore herbalist that I am, I dilute pure ground cayenne pepper in either just plain distilled water or apple cider vinegar and pour over itchy arms after a shower in the shower.  Let it air dry.  At first you think nothing is happening, then slowly a light warming sensation takes over and then a more intense warming sensation.  You are absolutely right, it does trick the nerve into forgetting to itch.  Only problem I have with my method is the inconvenience of having to wet, dry and not stain clothing with red pepper reisdue.  I shall pick up some Capsaicin cream and try that.  Thank you so much for the tip and I wish you well.
Same problem as everybody else.  My shoulders and collar bones get real itchy.  It mostly seems heat and sun triggered.  Night time episodes as well.

One thing I've found that helped that no one has suggested is Denorex Therapeutic Shampoo (with coal tar solution).  When I bath, I lather up the itchy spots and let it sit for a minute or two before rinsing.

Other things I've used here that helped is Triamcinolone (prescription), Benedryl Extra Strength Gel, Witch Hazel and a real good moisturizer like Amlactin (Amlactin btw is marvelous for the dry, cracked heal problem).  I also take two allergy tablets at night (such as Benedryl).

Last year is when it went extreme.  I've had a little itchy spot here or there for years.  Winter or summer.  Sometimes it's just the palm of my hand that itches.  But this shoulder thing....argh.

So last year, I made the mistake of stopping the cleansing and slathered on lotions and oils and it made it horribly worse.  Keep it clean, put moisturizer on immediately after bathing.  Use witch hazel and Benedryl gel or one of the other anti-itch medications.  Frankly, the Benedryl gel is working best for me this year.

I know, I hate it.  I've had bruises and scratches and stab marks it's so intense.  Even now I have a couple of bruises from pinching.  I've never had anything itch so bad that it made me want to jump out of my skin.

Anyway, try the Denorex Therapeutic.  Lather up those itchy spots and let it sit for several minutes.
I have had a little bit of the itchy arm thing in the past, a few years back. It was very rare and would only show up for a night.  Over the past 2.5 years I changed my diet to sugar free (not 100%, but close to no processed sugars). I had no arm itch during this time. I also removed caffeine for a year. Over the past 5-6 months I have let sugar (and junk like fast food) and caffeine back into my life. Arm itch had gradually showed up and is currently as bad as its ever been. I have a lot of trouble falling asleep. Ice packs help some. I am at the beginning of eliminating processed sugar again. I am going to first keep the caffeine going (I love coffee in the morning) to see if it goes away, and if not I will eliminate it also. My younger sister also has the same thing and also notices that it gets worse with higher sugar intake. It seems its related to the "build up" in the system. If  the sugar is out of my system and I have a small portion once a week, it's seems ok because it's such a small amount it's presence clears out fast, as was the case during the two years of eating very clean.
I tried Aqua stretch  it was the best thing i have ever done i only had to do it twice and itching stop no creams ever work  
Clorinated water is a great idea!   I thought about the sugar angle too.  Last night I was having the redness and irritation.  Did the witch hazel, then the prescription cream.  Still bugging me.  So I took a cotton ball and swabbed with some hydrogen peroxide and then dabbed it off with water.  I noticed some fizzing.  Now I remember this from before (in my case anyway), they are little bitty hair follicules that are plugged (basically infected).  I had used a q-tip last summer but this time I swabbed the whole affected area.  That really seemed to nip it.

Yesterday also, I had picked up some Rixx Herbal Healing Lotion and I put that on right after the peroxide.  It's been working wonderful!  It's a natural anti-inflammatory.  One of it's ingredients is witch hazel and one of the others is shea butter.  I had been looking for coconut butter as someone mentioned earlier because I remember using some a few years ago (something from the $ store) and it seemed to sooth better than other lotions.  Anyway, I had brought home a couple of things to try and this Rixx helps immensely.  So for me, hydrogen peroxide (only need to do once or twice) and then the Rixx.  

The funny thing is it doesn't seem like it would be an infection.  Lord knows though I'd scratch until it would become one!  That's why I tried the peroxide last year.  All I see is a little red spot usually.  But that's because I've already scratched.  I have seen, although barely visible, a tiny white head (flat though, not like an acne white head).  It's when it's at it's itchy worst!  So it's this little bitty pocket of infection, I guess, that causes all this irritation.  Once scratched it becomes open and red.  You barely can see anything though before that though.  I know last year, I thought it was a dry skin problem so I did everything wrong.
It sounds like you have LIME DISEASE...GOOGLE IT. Just trying to help.
Where can you find Aqua Stretch?
  I am trying to figure out what the abbreviations you mentioned BRP stand for as I must have missed it some where so I can tell my doctor that this has to be what is wrong after having 2 c spine fusions and now unbearable itchy right arm for no reason & w/out a rash,  bump or anything to show.

Thank you for any information.
Hello again,

I asked you a stupid question but found the answer, sorry,

BRACHIORADIAL PRURITUS
Hey no worries, morhorsepwr...glad you figured it out ;) Yes, it sounds like yours could be BRP due to nerve impingement from your cervical fusions. Typical BRP (Itching anywhere from wrist to shoulder, but typically located over the brachioradialis...the muscle on the top of the forearm) is caused by nerve compression in the neck C4-C6. This could be due to scar tissue from surgery/injury or disc compression (herniation) or general inflammation from injury/trauma etc. It tends to be (but not always) worse in the warmer months due to the heat increasing cellular inflammation (swelling of the tissue) thus increasing nerve compression. Unfortunately, many western doctors know little about the condition and what to do for it. However, over the years I have seen an increase in their knowledge and understanding of it. I wish you much luck!! No matter what, do your own research and be your own advocate =) Feel free to email me at the address I've left previously should you have any questions. I'm not sure I can be of assistance, but I will always try =)

Good luck to you!
And to morhorsepwr and Smiddle.  This is Oct. 29, 2013 and I have been free from itch since Aug.   Treating the itch with creams, herbs, oils, ice, drugs etc. only gives you temporary relief since it only treats the symptom which is the Itch itself.  Don't you want it to Stop????   Then treat the Cause.  I am not a doctor or related to any of these that I am telling you about; in fact, I thought chiropractors were quacks.  Not True!!  Please search out  an advanced orthogonal chiropractor who has studied to use the sonic method and please have your Atlas adjusted.  All the nerves that flow through C4-C6 flow through your Atlas first.  The Atlas bone being level and straight is critical for best health and to eliminate pinching of the nerves at the neck level!!!  There is one in St. Pete, FL; one or more in or near Atlanta, GA and one I know of in Franklin, TN near Nashville, TN.  I know this method works miracles for some people because I have seen 3 people in my family with diverse problems including blindness, seizures and numbness, chronic sinus-nausea-migraines....all healed through this method....not always immediately, but definitely healed as long as they kept their Atlas in place through adjustment (meaning level and not crooked, see former Aug 23 comment).  Very important to go to an expert, see Aug23 comment.  My heart goes out to each of you.   I had terrible itching for 9 weeks and do not have it now (10/29/13), as long as I keep my neck adjusted.  
Many people face this issue of itching, which is mainly due to pollution and food habits. If at all anyone is planning to go for botox, it is idea that they be lead to a person with the certification in medical aesthetics training! I was trained at aesthetic advancements in Toronto, which is a pretty good institute!
We have suspected Lyme as a possible cause of "itchy arms". I've done an internet search but nothing comes up. Have you found a connection between Lyme and BRP?
did the coconut oil help completely? I am going to loose my mind
Try Icepacks, that's the only thing  have found that really helps
Thank you so much, this itching drives me crazy!!! I am going to try to order this cream you mentioned . I also want to try the pure coconut oil that someone else mentioned. Thanks so much
I read all the above posts....so glad to find our problem has a name " BRP"  
I feel everyone's pain. Thank you all for sharing their individual findings. I will search out  what Varrush found success with  - an advanced orthogonal chiropractor who has studied to use the sonic method to get my Atlas adjusted.
I for sure have compressed neck issues but also have spondylolisthesis. (It usually affects the fifth lumbar vertebra in the lower back and, much less commonly, the fourth lumbar vertebra. If the stress fracture weakens the bone so much that it is unable to maintain its proper position, the vertebra can start to shift out of place. If too much slippage occurs, the bones may begin to press on nerves. Hmmm. I have been dealing with this itching since I was 30 years old. Comes and goes. Now at 52 years old it came back 3 months ago but was isolated on my right arm. It has now spread to my left arm.
Now I need two ice packs which work the best for me along with a non-drowsy OTC antihistamine and a RX called Klonopin (1MG) which calms me down after getting all worked up itching and slapping my arms silly. I mostly sleep through the night now.

Worth mentioning:  I was tested for allergies.. have none! Physical: EKG was perfect, blood test perfect, blood pressure is great and have a very how heartbeat. I can report that have been on Cymbalta for over 2 years for other reasons unrelated to BRP so no help from Cymbalta as someone above asked about. Tried coconut oil weeks ago.. does not work fast enough for me so I revert to the ICE.
I will report back again after I try treating the chronic neck and lower back issues.  good luck to everyone dealing with this.
The only relief I have found is to to take an ice cube and rub rapifly on the area, freeze it.
I have had this problem for 25 years and have finally found a doctor that helped me. He put me on Dothep which worked for 3 years and then on Lyrica which was good for about a year. Now am doing a bit of both to get rid of it again. Maybe u could suggest these to your doctors. Good luck!!! It's the pits.
Hi. I am a 37 y.o. male. I live in Oregon and have worked in construction most off my life. I am very active outdoors as well. So, those two things have exposed my skin to a lot of Sun. I have also had a couple neck injuries. After battling this condition for a few years I finally googled my symptoms and was overwhelmed with conflicting feelings when I found that there is a name for what I have and I am not alone, but there didn't seem to be a cure. I keep my fiance up at night with my tireless scratching and getting up for ice. Kind of funny though that I am not the only one to discover that ice is the only relief. Like all of you, I have no surface indications like a rash, bumps, or anything. Only the marks from me scratching. Sometimes until I bleed. At one time I even had a fork hidden on my side of the bed that I would secretly use in the night during my pathetic and feeble attempts to sate the devils needles that awoke me, during which time I depressingly thought about how angry it was making him and knowing full well that the repercussions would be sheer torment, and alas, I would have to reluctantly leave my blessed cocoon to seek refuge from the freezer... anyway,,,,, I am curious about the prudoxin, where to get it, etc.. Thanks, Michael
I too suffer from horrible itching on my arms and have since 1997 - I have been to every kind of dr. imaginable and not one of those Dr.'s ever suggested that it could be related to my spine or a nerve.  I recently stumbled upon several articles in regards to this phenom.  I have great hope that I have come across what could be a cure or at least something that could help alleviate the itching.  I am going to see a chiropractor who specializes in NUCCA.  If you have itchy arms and can find no relief - at least search on the internet and read about this phenomena - its when you have neck or back or nerve damage and the "pain" radiates down  your arm but presents as an "itch" - it makes perfect sense to me and I can't believe that after suffering for 16 years, I had to find the information MYSELF and via the INTERNET - seems crazy……..
As a Naturopathic Dr., I say it does not matter what "label" you put on a symptom. What does matter is WHY is it happening. As one who used to suffer with this as well as complaints from many, many patients, and as long as one has concluded it is NOT dry skin, calcium deficiency....THEN I would consider the truth: lyme disease. It is caused by the borellia bacteria (or lyme) that attacks and destroys nerves. For relief? I would HIGHLY recommend ARGENTYN 23 GEL by Natural-Immunogenics; it works wonders!!!! (it is anti-bacterial, anti-microbial). I also would use only organic creams; remember, whatever you put ON your skin gets absorbed into your bloodstream and has to be processed by over-worked kidneys/liver. FYI.

blessings-

Dr. Sue, ND
I've suffered this itch for untold years. I first got it in Hawaii where the locals called it Haole Rot. I've grown accustomed to always have a cold pack with me as it's the only way to calm it. Then last year it switched arms exclusively to my right arm and intensified dramatically. The countless sleepless nights played heavily on my work. Well, after trying everything on the shelf, I resorted to trying something that cured my planter phetious so amazing well. It was Absorbine Jr  Fast Absorbine Pain Relief Liquid with CAPSICUM OLEORESIN - basically similar to pepper spray. I was hesitant at first as it can burn like hell, and I didn't want to get it in my scratched sores. OMG, instant 100% relief - and that was last week and it hasn't returned. I'm still in amazement. Years of agony instantly gone with one application, I just have to spread the word. Now I didn't apply it to my actual itchy zone, but rather to my clear skin I hadn't scratched. I also had my wife apply it to my spine from tailbone to neck. It has something to do with "substance-P" being too overbearing in your system activating nerves incorrectly, which is why it worked so well on my planters factitious. Which by the way, if you have, can be 100% cured with this amazing stuff too. No more boots at night keeping your feet fully flexed, because it's not really the tendons at all, but overactive "Substance-P" that needs to be chilled out. If you want your itching to stop dead in it's tracks, I recommend trying this. But use with extreme caution. It will sting if you get it in sensitive areas. Don't get it on your hands, it will transfer to your eyes etc. Also, if you exercise and work up a sweat you will feel it burning that day, so keep inactive for a few days after applying it and enjoy a full nights sleep, oh it's so good to sleep uninterrupted and not itch.
Same thing i have been dealing with for 5 years.  In October my forearm starts to itch like a mother, then stops around April.  Dr. said he has no idea so i look at these 600+ blogs and think... do we all have something in common that can point to reasons?  lets post them instead of cream this and gel that and see where it goes and maybe we can get a Peace Prize or something for a cure.
- 45yrs old
- elevated Liver level, but i do not drink or do drugs.
- boarder line diabetic
- exposed to sun all summer with baseball and yardwork, mostly sunburn neck and arms
- lower back stiff as a board 90% of the time, mostly poor sleep and desk job.
- ice or cold water only relief
- itch goes away for hours only to reapear randomly and yes stress flairs it up but why does it also do this when sleeping?
Me too Dan - have had this for 30 years... it went away for about 4 years when I started armor thyroid treatment (hypo) but is now back ... very seasonal, fall through spring and flares up even more so at night.  

I have slightly elevated liver enzymes which also cause skin irritation ... I've been gluten free for 2 years, tried every topical solution know to man... seen dermatologists, allergists, and at least 25 other doctors... I do think spinal alignment will be my next option because I'm looking for the root cause.  
Your feedback is very insightful... I have had this for 30 years... it went away for about 4 years when I started armor thyroid treatment (hypo) but is now back ... very seasonal, fall through spring and flares up even more so at night.   I think it's also hormone related as well.  

I have also tried this and it did provide some relief!    
Yes I agree there may also be a sugar/white flour connection - and in reading a blog on a chiropractic site I also found misalignment of that C-4 through C-6 area can even affect the way the body processes sugar... I am SO happy to have this forum... after 30 years of having this BRP I finally see some light and believe together we will figure out the root!  
I have classic BRP. Grew up in Florida in the sun, now live in Colorado for past 25 years with some intense sun exposure. I have impingement of my C7 from multiple accidents while growing up riding horses.

My condition was very server about 5 years ago when I began my research. I started going for Accupuncture which has helped me a lot!  It is much better now but I still get it in the fall. At first sign I go for accupunture and keep at it til it goes away. Accupuncture is able to break the cycle.

I also have gotten relief using over the counter antihistimines, BUT this year I developed salivary gland stones (quite possible from these) as a result. If you get relief from antihistimines get a prescription - dont use over the counters.

I am considering taction for my C spine problem.

Good luck
Thank you, liz. I hope you are able to find the root cause of your itching. I'm not on this site very much anymore as I find it disappointing that most people don't read previous posts and it has become a site of rehashing old, inaccurate information. As I've stated many times previously, genuine BRP is caused by nerve damage in the cervical spine (C4-C6)...could be scar tissue from previous surgeries/injuries, herniated discs etc. Truly anything that causes compression of the sensory nerve roots from C4-C6. The itching increases with inflammation, that is why most people are worse in the summer.....the heat increases swelling of the tissues, increasing cellular inflammation as well. Doing anything to decrease your cellular inflammation will be most effective....I think cervical traction, chiropractic care etc. is helpful too. Good luck!!
I agree that BRP is nerve problem.  I've never posted, but have followed and read everyone.  My MRI shows C5,6,7 problems.  I have decided to have cortisone epidural.  I have used thaibalm, ice packs,  neurontin, coconut oil, bio freeze, and amlactin.  I have seen dermatologist, neurologist, orthogonal chiropractor and now spine specialist for injection. I will post following procedure.  I empathize with all BRP suffers, and will continue my quest for relief from this draining problem!
RELIEF is so fantastic. 1 solid week now, and I now know how to take care of it. My arms no longer itch, in particular my right arm. My ankles have given me one or two itches, but then went away.Here's what cured mine. First - Water, drink lots of it. Try drink like a gallon a day. Second - correct your posture. I bet most of you have your head too far forward like I did. Stand like to attention in the military. For me, just doing that would actually stop the itch. I tested it over and over too make sure. Yep, seemed just too easy. Well, I still couldn't lie in bed. As soon as I got horizontal my itch came back. Then I noticed I was sleeping on a futon of all things for the last 2 years. So I changed that and bought a mattress. Third - and the most important of all. Find a chiropractor in your area the can do an ATLAS ORTHOGONAL TECHNIQUE. That's the key. Spend the $150 and have it examined. I bet you it's out of alignment. Here's something you can try yourself to see if it is misaligned which results in your Brachioradial nerve cluster being pinched. Run something prickly down both arms. My chiropractor had something that resembled a riding boot spur but with sharp pins. He ran it down my left arm, no problem. My right arm, forget about it. I couldn't take it. He told me my right arm was hyper sensitive... (dah) So he took ex-rays, saw my ATLAS was way off. Adjusted it and the rest is golden. No more itch. It was immediate relief. He did say that there was a chance it could slip again and make the itch come back, so good to know. And Fourth - keep some menthol arthritis liquid handy in case you get a little itchy.
If you really want to get rid of your unbearable agonizing itch that won't let up, drink water, stand up straight and visit a chiropractor who specializes in the ATLAS ORTHOGONAL TECHNIQUE. I'm cured and it's AWESOME. hope this helps. (yours might not be the atlas that's misaligned, but it's pretty much 100% that it's one of your vertebrae pinching your nerve, so get it checked)
Count me in as a chronic itchy arm sufferer since two TIA strokes in 2012. Ice packs give temp relief. I used to fall asleep with them strapped directly onto my skin. It used to be cyclical coming on in May and ending in October, but since going through breast cancer and chemo in 2011, it has started in January, so that rules out an allergy.

But the greatest thing I learned from all these blog sites was about the gabapentin which I take as soon as there is a flare up. It seems to deaden the nerve endings that cause the itch. If you are a chronic sufferer, I strongly advise you to research this drug and then take the info to your GP. It's a fairly new concept of using this drug for itching as it is an anti seizure medication, but my pharmacist husband assures me there is no issue with taking it long term. I use it until the itch goes away for a few months and then we repeat the cycle it seems. At least I'm not losing sleep over it anymore!
After three years of searching, I am currently itch free! Like everyone, I felt crazy at times and ice packs were the only thing that would give me relief. My itching has been in my upper arm - below my shoulder and about an inch above my elbow. I have been to chiropractors, doctors, physical therapists, massage therapists, etc. I originally though it was shingles related nerve pain but was assured it wasn't. I have always been under the assumption that I have had a pinched nerve and this was spine related. Nothing worked until a I met someone (when I was icing my arm) who knew someone with the same symptoms! I got in contact immediately and she told me that she found out that it was allergy related. She started taking Allegra everyday and said it was the first time in 30 years she didn't itch. I took her advice and tried it although I take Zyrtec. Voila - no itch! I have only been taking it for a month but my arms have healed! I do not like taking medication so I try not to take it everyday (at first I took it everyday) but I can feel it start to flare up if I go too many days without. I also use cetaphil or cerave cream at least twice per day to keep my skin extra hydrated.

Not sure if it will work for you, but it worked for me! It has given me tremendous relief while I search for answers. I don't want to be on allergy medication long term but in the short term, I feel like a new person!  
thanks for the tip,  how long before you felt better on zrytek?

i too have gone to several dermatologists and a neurologist,  the dermatologist said it is BPS, and prescribed Zonalon, which is very drying and worked for a long while.  the Neurologist pretty much acted like i was crazy and prescribed Gabapentin 300MG, which worked up until this week.   so here i am with ice on the arm, which helps.   I hate taking any meds but i will give the allergy meds a try.  thanks for the tip!!

BTW - i learned a new trick for cold compresses,  pour two bottles of Karo syrup in gallon freezer bag (double bag) and freeze,  very convenient and molds to arm.  

sorry to hear so many suffer from this.     the best   LU
Did your cortisone epidural help?  I'm suffering terribly from this BRP.  

Stacey
I found something that made the super itchiness in my arms stop - bleach baths. A friend who's had a life-time of eczema told me about bleach baths. So I did as he advised, I took a cup of bleach (Clorox) and poured it in a bath tub of warm/hot water and got in it for 10 minutes.  The first time I did this ended all of the itching.  Four days later I did this bleach bath again because I thought I felt the itch returning and again it worked.  I've done three bleach baths so far, the last bath was a week ago, and the itch hasn't returned, and I suspect never will as long as I lotion up.  And be sure to lotion up after the baths, your skin will be dry.  How it works - the bleach kills bacteria and germs that cause the itching. And once you stop scratching, your skin will go back to normal like mine did.  My name is Julius Willis III and I approve of this message/method!  :)  Good luck.  Oh, and the lotion I use is CeraVe and sometimes Lubriderm.
Try placing a wash-cloth soaked in very strong black tea on the itching area.  Start with a very small area and see if it helps.  That has helped me dramatically.  This will definitely stain your wash-cloth so don't use one that is new or expensive.
I tried the bleach soak just on my arms tonight, I sure hope it helps.
yes it helped for a number of weeks, but it is starting to come back.   That tells me it is the C5/C6 compression.   I see the surgeon this week, but am not in hurry to have any surgery.   Several docs have stated that the compression of nerves is causing the itching, which now makes sense.  Some people get pain, some itching.  
I have had 4 epidurals to date .  First 2 gave relief and now no relief.  Saw Dr. @ Northwestern Memorial in Chgo. (Spine Dr.). Yesterday and he put me on Cataflam.  I see another neurologist at NWM in 2 weeks per referral from yesterday.  I'm waiting to see if Cataflam reduces nerve problem in cervical area.  Eager to find relief, cannot tolerate the vexing itch anymore!!!
hello
Viewing 601-706 comments: