itchy dry skin around eyes and mouth

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

itchy dry skin around eyes and mouth

Hello!

over the last year i have suffered from on and off itch dry skin around my eyes and mouth, it usually happens when there has been an extreme change in weather, although it has also occurred randomly.
I've never suffered from eczema and never get the irritation anywhere else on my body. i use moisturising creams and lip balms to try and moisturise the areas when they are really bad; this simply reduces the severity of the condition temporarily. I've been to my Doctor and was told to moisturise more, (i'm not sure he really had a clue what it is)

I've seen a few feed's on this but others appear to get something similar but not the same, as for me it is controlled to only my eyes and mouth. I'm hoping that will make it easier for someone to diagnose!

any suggestions on medications, diets, lifestyle changes are welcomed greatfully.

Happy Holidays,
Olly
From your symptoms eczema is an important possibility. Wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. You can take some OTC oral antihistamine medications like Benadryl or Claritin and see if it helps.

For mild-moderate symptoms a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone as dermacort), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide).But they are available under prescription and should be taken only after consulting a dermatologist. Symptoms  can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Use good quality moisturizers to prevent moisture loss from the skin.

If the symptoms are severe then please get an evaluation done from a dermatologist.
I hope it helps. Take care and regards.  

It may be perioral dermatitis. I had it for months and months and it just kept spreading further around my face. A doctor told me to use a strong moisturizer, which I did for weeks, and it didn't help. When I went back again to see my regular doctor, he said to stop the moisturizer right away, it was probably making it worse--and prescibed me an antibiotic, tetracycline i believe, and it went away in less than 3 weeks -- cleared up completely. Four years later, it hasn't come back yet (which is common). Good luck.
ok, so many ideas, well..here is my story..4 years ago I developed what i call "alligator eye"..dry scaley skin with itch and redness then when swelling gone deep wrinkles and look "old"..I too tried everything tell i read about tea tree oil and glycerin soap..tried that and all cleared up in less then a week! I was suprised so quick a recovery and the wrinkles left too, whew..well a few days ago it happened again..immediatel;y tried the tree tea oil and glycerin again and going on my second day believe I caught it in time, no deep wrinkles and itch gone already, skin still a bit red but swelling and itch gone, likely will be back to normal in a week like last time..after reading other accounts can say, I just finished a round of antibiotics so perhaps that is a trigger for me, plus I have RA rheumatoid arthritis, and usually symptoms kept at bay but perhaps having a weakened immune for a spell triggers it, either way so glad I found from forums about the tea tree sil..I do believe it it related to a fungus..when I first tried cortisone cream I only exacerbated the problems..looked like i "smothered" it and inflammation grew worse, the day I tried tea tree oil, which has an anti-fungal property I began improving..wish u all well