itchy legs (sometimes hands and wrists) no rash, no bites, no redness

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

ive seen many posts on here for the same/similiar thing but all the topics i viewed were closed without an answer :S
for the last week or 2 ive had really bad itches mainly on my legs but in cold weather it makes my knuckles and wrists itch too, i get to the point where im just sittin there nye-on scratching my skin off!! it feels like when you were a kid and let ants crawl over your hands and u feel them nip only 10 times worse, ive examined my skin and cant see anything out of the ordinary...it happens on both legs simultaniously and scratching just makes it worse but it cant be helped because theres only so much you can take sitting on ur hands with wonkey eyes biting ur lip. i found its very slight after a bath or shower and its at its peak when lying in bed trying to sleep or really hot. as a result ive changed my covers, matress, pillows, duvet, and bed frame! hoovering my bedroom and matress on a daily basis shortly after covering my room in insect spray. it doesnt seem AS bad but none the less its still there and irritating as f**k! moisturiser brings the itching down for an hour or so which made me suspect parasites/lice/bed bugs hence changing the entire bed. i dont mind scratching now and again thats just normal but sitting there goin mad like some mental person is ridiculous! :( i just dont understand why its just my legs and sometimes my hands and why i cant see the cause of it...even sitting there waiting for an area to itch, immediately examining that area, and not seeing anything that may have caused it. im only 20 and its majourly embarassing when around girls and friends. i cant see it being a hygiene problem either as i bath/shower twice sometimes 3 times a day and my mum keeps the house spotless, my cat is checked reguarly for ticks and fleas and has its monthly dosage of flea killer. ive gone through every logical cause which leaves me determined its something microscopic, under the skin or the skin itsself.

any help would be appreciated as ive minimalised my problem just cant extinguish it completely

This discussion is related to Itchy legs, no sign of rash or irritation.
Itchy skin that isn't accompanied by other obvious skin changes, such as a rash, is most often caused by dry skin (xerosis). Skin conditions like dermatitis, scabies and hives, internal diseases like liver and kidney disorders, diabetes, iron deficiency anemia, irritation and allergic reactions to chemicals,wool,soaps,cosmetics and certain foods  can cause itchy skin.

You can apply an anti-itch cream or lotion to the affected area. Oral antihistamine, such as Benadryl can also be used. You should take a comfortably cool bath and wear smooth-textured cotton clothing. Covering the affected area with bandages and dressings can help protect the skin and prevent scratching. You should choose mild soaps without dyes or perfumes and use a mild, unscented laundry detergent when washing clothes, towels and bedding.

Please take a second opinion from a dermatologist if the symptoms persist.
I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and regards.