Dermatology Community
itchy scalp & acne
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

itchy scalp & acne

Hi

i am a 26 yr old male. i have a moderately itchy scalp that gets oily by the end of the day & have occasional  acne on the scalp. also i have significant hair loss due to it.Recently, i have noticed more frequent occurrence of acne on my face & rarely on my chest & back. i wash my hair everyday with a mild shampoo to remove the oiliness. it just doesn't seem to help. i somehow feel the itchy scalp, acne & facial acne are related. Any leads as to what i could do help my situation? i did go on homeopathic treatment a couple of years ago for hair loss & itchy scalp, but i did not see any significant improvement.
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hi,
This could be a condition called Seborrhoeic dermatitis, a scalp inflammation which can also affect the face.
Seborrhoeic dermatitis (seborrhea) is a skin disorder affecting the scalp, face, and trunk causing scaly, flaky, itchy, red skin.

The exact cause of seborrhoeic dermatitis is not known, although many factors have been implicated. The widely present yeast, Malassezia furfur as well as genetic, environmental, hormonal, and immune-system factors have all been implicated.  This is a fat-eating fungus which lives on the scalp of most healthy adults without causing any problems.  Sometimes its numbers grow out of control and it feeds on the oil made by hair follicles.  This causes irritation, which leads to an increase in skin cell shedding.

Side effects to inflammation may include temporary hair loss. If severe outbreaks are untreated for extended intervals, permanent hair loss may result, because of damage to hair follicles.

You need to use medicated shampoos containing coal tar, ciclopiroxolamine ketoconazole, selenium sulfide, or zinc pyrithione. For the acne, you can apply Benzoyl peroxide 4% on the lesions.

ref:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seborrhoeic_dermatitis
ref:http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/understanding-dandruff-basics
Blank
Thank you for the reply. Just wanted to make sure....does this condition cause oiliness of the scalp? Also, any suggested shampoos brand that fit the category you described for me to use?
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dermatology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...