large unexplained bruises on middle of back

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I just noticed a few large bruises on my husbands back. We are young, 21, and 23. They were not there yesterday, so whatever it is has happened very rapidly. There are some that are reddish-purple and some that are very dark such as a blackish-blue. I do not have any idea what this could be, and the fact that is happened so fast scares me. He has no other disorders or diseases. He is healthy besides this. What could this possibly mean?
Sometimes 'bruise' can mean a number of things. If it is really bruising then he should urgently see a doctor and get some blood tests done. However if you wish to post some pictures first, I can give an opinion.

Regards

Dr.Sasi Attili
Consultant Dermatologist
www.onlineskinspecialist.com
Im not too sure how to do that just yet. As i was browsing on the internet what it could have been, i saw this site and decided to sign up. There were several places that were really dark, mainly underneath his right arm and left lower shoulder blade. There were a could of places that were in the middle of his back, over his spine, and over the large spot on his left shoulder blade. I took him to the nearest urgent care and they said they didn't know what it was coming from. It seemed to them like the capillaries in his back had "broken" and took some blood. They said that his platelets came back normal and so did the white blood cell count. So they were not worried and sent him back home.. On his discharge papers there wasn't even a diagnosis. I am still worried what could be happening to him.
You could post some pictures here or you can send them directly to me through my website http://www.onlineskinspecialist.com/SkinCareblog/post-a-question/

Regards

Dr.Sasi Attili
Thank you for taking the time to consider my concerns. Since i do not exactly know how to work the site yet, i uploaded a single photo of one of the bruises he had on his back. It is under my profile. It doesn't exactly do justice to show how bad they initially were but this is what they look like now.
Do certainly look like bruises. Suggest he gets his blood clotting studies done to evaluate further.
Anemia and deficiency of vitamins C, K, B12, or folic acid are the common causes of easy bruisability. He should try taking iron tablets and multivitamins for some days and see if the symptoms improve.

If the symptoms do not improve, get yourself evaluated by a physician and look out for SLE, bone marrow disorders, liver diseases or leukemias. Anti-clotting (anti-coagulants) medication also can cause increased bruising. Please check that your husband is not using them.
I hope it helps. Take care and regards.

I would like to thank everyone for giving me advice for the situation, it is improving. There is a genetic history of anemia in the family. We appreciate all responses to our questions. Since all of his blood tests came back good, i think it would be related to the low iron. I will get a regular doctor to test the iron levels in his blood to confirm. Regardless, thank you all for the help. It is greatly appreciated.