Dermatology Expert Forum
mouth blood blisters

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

mouth blood blisters

Hello, I am a 39 year old female.  About 4 months ago I was drinking tea and felt a pinch near the roof of my mouth.  I scratched it, thinking a sharp piece of food was stuck there.  I looked in the mirror to find a large, deep red colored blood blister on the lower roof of my mouth on the soft palate.  The urgent care doctor drained it and it healed with no problem.  We assumed that I was poked by an earlier piece of food.  I thought that was the end of it.

Then, this week, I was eating walnuts when I felt that same kind of pinch in the roof of the mouth area this time on the other side of my mouth.  Looked in the mirror to find a small red blood blister. I tried to break it open with my finger but when I pressed on it, it just grew much larger.  

I was referred to an oral surgeon who has sent it for biopsy, but he suspects mucous membrane pemphiogoid.  Do these 2 isolated instances of a single blood blister sound like pemphigoid?  I know it is a rare condition (any idea how rare?).  

I am nervous and hoping this is just a case of a someting simple.  I have no other blisters or rashes anywhere.  No auto immune diseases I am aware of.

Thank you.
I think the occurrence of two blisters of this kind and magnitude are indeed suspicious for something other than trauma.  I'm therefore glad that you have been seen by an oral surgeon and tested as you should be.  It may turn out to be mucous membrane pemhigoid, which is a significant condition, but one which can be treated.  I think you'll need to wait for the test results before anything else can be said.  Meantime, it's best to leave the bumps or blisters alone, of any new ones come, so as not to confuse the issue.

Sorry I can't be more definitive.

Dr. Rockoff
As a follow up, the biopsy shows that it is not auto immune (therefore not mucums membrane pemphigoid) and suggests ABH (Angina Bullosa Hemmigorica), a benign condition where blood blisters can develop from trauma.

I wonder if anyone else has had this?  thoughts appreciated!
A related discussion, Recurring Blood Blisters inside mouth was started.