non-itchy red spots on scalp

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

non-itchy red spots on scalp

My hair is thinning drastically on top of my head.  When I shampoo, no matter the shampoo I use, small bright red spots appear and stay for an hour or so,then go away.  I do not have scalp problems as far as dry flaky skin, these spots are not sore.  I am a senior lady who has had this problem for several years now.  I have changed shampoos many times and the red spots always appear.  Does this have anything to do with my thinning hair?

This discussion is related to Red spots on scalp - losing hair.
Tags: red spots
Avatar_dr_f_tn

This does not sound like an infection. This has been present for years already and in the absence of itchiness, redness, discharge, scaling, this may not require urgent intervention at the moment.

Is there any itching? Do you have any underlying conditions like diabetes?
Any previous fungal infections in other parts of the body?

We have to consider the shampoo that you are using. Is this strong and abrasive?You may opt to change to a milder formula. Also, try to moisturize the scalp. You may use vitamin E cream to massage the area. Applying Cetaphil cleanser on thinning spots may also help instead og soaps or gels.

Are there other similar spots in other parts of the body?
There is no itching, no flakes or drying of the skin.  My hair has a tendency to be a little oily if anything.  There are no red spots anywhere else, just my scalp.I am not diabetic nor have I had any kind of fungal infections.

I have used numerous shampoos, some of them quite expensive, the results are all the same;  little red spots right in the front of my scalp which disappear in an hour or two.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

This may not be something which requires immediate intervention. The red spots may be due to mild injuries on the scalp that could have been induced by abrasive shampoos or frequent and vigorous shampooing (does this apply in your case)? There seems nothing  in what you have posted that would make us think of a fungal infection (although this is a differential) as fungal infections may present with a redness and thickened plaques. Thinning hair may be experienced as one ages.

As the spots appear to resolve spontaneously, it is best to observe this as applying any inappropriate medications may only worsen the condition.
I have colored my hair for a number of years and I have considered that may have had some kind of effect.  I have not had a perm in at least 25 years and have never been someone to tease or dry their hair with very hot air.  My hair , although colored has always been worn in a simple style, a bob.I dislike hair salons and go only a couple of times a year for a cut.  Neither am I someone who washes her hair vigorously each day.  I wash my hair about every 5  or 6 days, depending on what I have been doing .  
Hi I have recently been to the hospital regarding a cuncussion i sustained and it was noted that i had a red spot on my head, when examined i was told it was something (but can not remember the full term) the doctor said it was something with Campbell in the name and advised me to google it, but obviously it's difficult to google if i cant remember what it was.

Can anyone help?
i have the same problem. i am 21 years old and have thin hair.i can see them in thinning areas. they are red and the size of a needle point.

they are not sore, but they do seem to get inflamed. they are the size of a needle point and red.

any help would be appreciated.