puffy palms

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

puffy palms

hi
you had a post regarding excessive skin wrinkling on palms when the skin is wet for only a matter of seconds.

i have this condition and have been to see specialists but no one can fathom out what the reason for this is. over the years it has got worse, the symptons include;
puffy raised white area on the palms of my hands these go after apprx half an hour of being dry
little clusters of small holes/pores that seem to follow the lines on the palms of my hand, only in the area that is raised and puffy.
this happens even when my hands sweat in the summer when driving, washing dishes, showering, bathing, cleaning.. all connected with water.
it doesn't hurt but my hands feel so dry it's uncomfortable to touch anything.
a specalist mention that it maybe a karatin deficiencey previously but this has been going on for at least 7 years so i can be sure it'snot something i've just noticed, it also gets worse if i'm stressed.
Please help, i'd love to find a cure or even a reason behind it!

This discussion is related to Puffy Skin on Palms of Hands..
This could be Aquagenic wrinkling of the palms.
Aquagenic wrinkling of the palms (AWP) is a rare condition that mainly affects young women, and often occurs in patients with cystic fibrosis. It may also occur in carriers of the cystic fibrosis gene.
The cause of AWP is unknown. It may be caused by a salt imbalance in the skin cells, which results in increased water retention within these cells. Some cases have been related to different medications, such as non-steroidal anti-inflammatories and some antibiotics.
AWP resembles the exaggerated wrinkling of the palms which is caused by spending too long in a bath or pool. Clinically, it is characterized by the appearance or worsening of a palmar eruption, following brief exposure to water. The palmar eruption is comprised of small, white or translucent papules that coalesce into plaques.In most cases the palmar skin returns to normal within a few hours of exposure to water, however, in some cases the eruption can persist for longer periods.
Some patients have had relief with an antiperspirant such as 20% Aluminium Chloride Hexahydrate (Drysol®) applied to the palms at night.
ref:http://dermnetnz.org/reactions/wrinkling.html
Stress cause palmar sweating, thus producing the same effect.

I also have the same "condition."  Any time my hands are submerged in water, or if I have sweaty palms, the skin raises, is white, has dots like pores, etc.  It usually lasts about an hour after a shower, though sometimes it seems to stick around for a whole day or two-- depending on the humidity, etc.

It first appeared when I was in my late teens/early twenties.  I'm 24 now and it happens EVERY DAY after I shower. :(  Annoying.

It doesn't hurt, but it's uncomfortable to touch things, and the skin feels delicate, like if I started to do something (open a jar lid, let's just say) the skin would tear.  

Thanks for posting, lou11.  Keep us updated.
I have the same condition as well, i noticed mine about 2 1/2 weeks ago. Same with Kates2 any time my hands are submerged into water, or they sweat, the skin raises, is white, and has dots like pores. It usually lasts about 30-45 minutes after a shower, or washing dishes etc. Im 23 years old and even though iv only had it 2 1/2 weeks it really is ANNOYING!!! Its an everyday thing I have to deal with when ever i touch water. My hands are only submerged in water for about 2-3 minutes and they are as old as my grandma's hands. It hurts my palms a little but once i apply lotion it calms down. When my hands are dry they flake, so lotion lotion lotion ALL DAY! My boyfriends mom said her friend has this same condition, and her dr gives her some type of cream to help it but its unknown, and its not healing it, shes has it for over 7 years. <~~ not cool!

Thanks for posting or i would have never known other people had this.

Keep us posted!
Hey my boyfriends mom has a friend with the same condition, and her dr provides her with some gold bond cream. I actually went to walmart about 3 days ago and bought Gold Bond Ultimate Restoring skin theraoy lotion it restores depleted dull skin. within 2 days my hands are back to normal. Im able to shower wash dishes and anything else with water and my hands be normal. They still get very very very little puffy white, and my hands wrinkle just like as if i was in the pool for a while. I just wanted to let you know about this, it worked for me. I guess what iv come up with is when my hands are in water the water ***** all the oils out of my hands. Its like this lotion has oils in it, and thats whats helping my hands. If any one has a question feel free to email me at jamie_rachuy***@**** make sure to put in the subject puffy white palms. Try it and see if this lotion works!
I had this exact same condition on my palms, and so did my little sister. The solution is simple!! I did some research and found out that Drysol (typically used under the arms as an anti-persperant) works to get rid of this. You can find it at any drugstore...and fyi if you have very sweaty underarms it's a miracle drug. Just apply Drysol to your palms before bed, and within a day or two the condition should clear up! I did this and told my sister to as well and we haven't had a problem since. No idea why it works but it does!  
It's strange that Aquagenic Wrinkling of the Palms is considered a rare condition which is most associated with Cystic Fibrosis. I think in the medical literature there are less than 50 reported cases (mainly female). I personally imagine it to be much more common and either goes misdiagnosed or unreported. As it is not serious or [very] painful  doctors will offer a cortisone or other ointment and the patient will perhaps give up. I have heard that the condition can correct itself after a few months but can also reoccur.

I have had the condition for a few months after moving to a warmer climate. Obviously my palms are sweating more now and sweaty hands + water will cause bad wrinkling. I need to submerge my hands in warm water for 5 or so minutes to have a reaction.
I tried various ointments and treatments but find the best solution to be talc. I must try drysol though. I'm wondering if it is some form of eczema or dermatitis. I think all that is known is in some cases a malformation of a sweat gland was present. Another factor is high concentration of sodium chloride (salt) in sweat.

The same condition I think goes under many names...
-Transient aquagenic palmar hyperwrinkling
-Acquired aquagenic syringeal acrokeratoderma
-Papulotranslucent acrokeratoderma

Unfortunately it seems very little is known about this disease and an average doctor will have no idea about the condition. I would suggest indicating to your doctor what you think the condition is and asking him to investigate or ask to be referred to a dermatologist.
I seem to have this as well; several weeks ago I went to the dermatologist for a body check and showed her my palms (which were wrinkly from hand sweat!). She took a good close look and said it's probably some sort of hereditary skin abnormality but was not concerned. (Note - no one in my family has this so I can't say it's actually hereditary.)

End of October I got a cat (I'm allergic to cats) - I've been washing my hands a lot since then and I'm wondering if the natural moisture/oils in my hands have been depleted from so much washing (after I got the cat is when I first saw that I had this skin condition). I read some people use Gold Bond therapy lotion to replace the lost moisture. If I have any luck with this, I'll let you know! I don't have hyperhydrosis - the puffiness only occurs when I shower/do dishes.

I feel okay about it since the dermatologist didn't seem too worried, but if there's a way to "cure" it, I'd love to know!
Obviously Im writing becaue I too have this same thing going on with my hands! Annoying is right! At first I thought it was a skin fungus and after about a week of putting anti-fungal cream on my hands I started to see a little change. (I will continue this but I think I've found something that may work better!) Oregano oil! I have just started using it and I have high hopes for its results! Family friend of mine's son had a huge wart on the bottom of his foot and after about a week to two weeks of apply oregano oil to the wart it was gonel! Hopefully this works and I encourage the rest of you to look into oregano oil and even tea tree oil! They have really good benefits and in all aspects of our health!

God Bless,
I too have this problem.  In water for mere minutes and they are puffy, wrinkly, etc etc.....everything mentioned here.  Could some of you re-post with updates on your condition.  I would like to know if any of these methods work.  I discovered a few days ago that this may have begun when I started to drink coffee regularly after work.  I'm going to cut that coffee out after work and see what happens.  I have tried all sorts of things, to no avail.  While I feel your frustration with this problem, it is comforting to know that I am not alone.  Thanks for posting.
I have the exact same condition and have had it for 2 years now. I have it under control now that I use one of those rocks which are used for pedicures. I scrub away as soon as I see the white forming in the shower.. My palms/between my fingers get a little fleshy and red but I rather that than the dry and disgusting feeling I was getting when they were there. I really don't want to do this the rest of my life, though. I have asked a skin doctor, and he gave me a cream which did not work. I could tell he wasn't even sure what it was.

I, too, feel glad I'm not the only one with this. I am still very nervous about it, though, and wish to find a cure which does not involve me ruining my skin like I do everyday showering. Good luck guys!

Ps- do any of you use Jolen (facial skin bleach)? I have used my hands because I got lazy to use the stick; I wonder if this may be a cause? Has anyone else gotten this bleach on their hands and developed this?
I have had this for many years now. I've found that using Drysol helps a lot but the skin on your palms will get EXTREMELY dry and tight. So it's either live with the drynes or have hands that look like death. I chose dryness...
Wondering if you (orev) have ever tried the oregano oil or tea tree oil, or even gold bond medicated lotion?  You said you've had it many years and Drysol drys you out too much, wondering if you can shoot down or recommend one of these others or another?

-TwoPheat
I have the same condition, I think. My hands are fine when dry (although the skin on my palms has very faint whitish patches and *tiny* little holes that follow the lines of my skin). However, when I shower the prune up really quickly and become tight, swollen and bumpy. They only hurt a little bit, and that is mostly because they are so tight, I think.

I noticed this happening around the July/Aug of this year. When it first started, I remember it would really hurt along the deepest line that curves around the thumb joint (the "life line", in palm reading terms). I think it has spread since then, but it's only on my palms.

Some things that may be common factors: I bleach my hair regularly, I use Nivea body wash and organic (Renpure) shampoo and conditioner. When I shave my legs, I use conditioner rather than shaving cream, which means that it stays on my hands for awhile. Also, my left hand seems to be worse than my right, and I am right handed. I have no allergies and no known illnesses. I take birth control, but no other medications.

Could others list possible common factors, or comment if you match any of mine? Thanks!

I found this article which has a description and photo which match what I've experienced. http://dermatology.cdlib.org/94/NYU/Apr2002/5.html
---> silkroses
that link was great! I finally know what I have on my hands! this has been going on for about a year or more now and i hadn't been able to figure out why. I'm so glad that I know the name of it now!

My hands have been getting really sensitive with this going on. My hands can't be in as hot of water. When i get in a hot tub I have to put my hands above the water like a weirdo but at least I can still enjoy it. And I have been turned off of doing my usual cleaning/dish washing and dread taking showers. I will have to try that Drysol to see if it works for me. I'm really hoping it does. I rather have dry hands than that ick feeling from this. Thanks everyone for you input, I'm glad I'm not the only one with this!
I've been reading many of these posts and am relieved to find that this is more common than I had assumed!  I have had those symptoms (white, raised, tight skin with tiny pores) for a few months, now, and was beginning to wonder what it was.  At first I thought it was typically allergies (my hands usually peel at this time of the year) except that these symptoms have not ever gone away... I do notice that it does get worse after my hands have been in some kind of water, but it does last all day, everyday.  I'm particularly interested about those who posted about the Drysol.  I'll try that for a while and see if it helps.  
Im 14 and first noticed this in the summer, im on a swimteam so i figured it was from swimming so much, going into the fall it went away on its own. It then returned about a month or two ago in the winter and i went to a dermatolgist about it. He knew what it was and had seen it only 2 times, theres a name for it, but its the name is so long i cant remember. He prescribed drysol and it has helped amazingly! i definitely recommend it!
My 14 yr old daughter just started getting the extreme wrinkly, white painful palms about 2 weeks ago. it's so bad she would get out of the shower after 5 minutes not able to close her hands. She doesn't have patches or holes, just plain white, painful, and wrinkled like she has been in a pool all day. We went to a family physician and they were baffled took pictures and sent them to dermatology, meanwhile he put her on 2 ointments one is a steroidal one and the other is aquafor. She has had hyperhidrosis since she was born so her hands and feet are always sweaty, but this is new. The dermatologist called today and wants to see her, and did state something about awp. But I will say she had used drysol a number of different times and it does nothing. Lotions don't absorb into her skin and it takes the ointments hours to absorb.
This is starting to happen to me. AWP symptoms exactly. I am pretty scared, starting to have extreme anxiety about it. Havent spoken to a dr. yet. I was wondering if you found a cure or treatment. Any info to ease my mind would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
I just discovered this is what i have. I am really freaking out right now. It even happened to me today just from sweating in the car. I will call my doctor tomorrow. If anyone could offer any info to ease my mind i would greatly appreciate it! We need to get the word out and find out what causes this and how to cure it. Its pretty weird. But like others have said its really nice to know im not alone. Thanks for all your info ladies.
My daughter, who is 21, has had this condition for around 3 years now, but strangely only has it from late autumn until either spring or if she goes to a warm climate for winter break it just goes away and doesn't return until the following November. I spoke with an aquaintance who's a dermatologist yesterday and he said that AWP is very rare and didn't even know about the connection to CF until I mentioned it. My niece has CF and my sister-in-law, not knowing that there's a condition called AWP said that she's heard that carriers of CF may suffer from the wrinkling palms such as described in this forum. He prescribed Drysol, though apparently it is an over-the-counter medication. He said that with it, the condition should go away. However, the fact that it seems to be seasonal is a puzzle. I'm going to take her to a naturopath as well and get her take on it as well. Perhaps there's an underlying reason that it's only seasonal with my daughter.
Hi I have same condition, but my palms have turned an orange/yellow colour.
Looks awful.  I live in Scotland and my doctor can't prescribe Drysol as it's not available here, but has prescribed something with the same % mix of ingredients, however this product advises to rinse off after it has dried and then throughly wash in morning - does Drysol advise the same?
Seems a strange thing to do, if water is causing the problem?

If anyone could advise, it would be much appreciated.
Wow, I can't believe I've found other women with the same problem! I'm 24, and have been experiencing these exact same symptoms for about 2 years. I'm from Florida but living in NYC now. Originally my skin reacted with these symptoms when I showered or did the dishes combined with the weather being too dry or too humid. Now in NYC, the weather is a lot drier than I'm used to and my palms have displaying this problem for the entire 7 months that I've been living here. What's the deal with the one person who brought up the symptoms and the association with Cystic Fibrosis?? Let's hope that's not true...if its not then a comment like that causes unnecessary fear.

Going to try Drysol and Cortisone. Hope to hear updates from others who've tried these solutions.
I too have this condition no one that I know has even seen or heard of anything like it and thought I was crazy. Glad to know other people have had it too. I started to notice it after using Mary Kay Satin Hands and I was worried I have an allergic reaction but after 2 months of not using the product I still have this inflames white puffy perferated looking skin so weird looks so painful. Does anyones palms seem like they hold water? When i was driving the other day it seemed like my steering wheel kept getting wet more so than sweat...and I have always had sweaty palms and feet but the condition is new.
My answer was found: I started noticing flat wart like bumps in the middle of my palms, near the base of my thumb and then starting to run up my fingers.  They turned white and slightly raised after showering. I didn't see any open pores as some posts have described.  And, my palms became very very wrinkly like a grandma after a good shower as well, then all pretty much disappeared after dry. Also, the bumps don't hurt or itch and are unnoticable to anyone else.  Went to the dermatologist and Dr. took a small hand biopsy.  Got 2 stitches. I was advised by the pathologist this is benign hyper keratosis and not contagious.  Prescribed a salicylic hand cream, which can cause peeling, and the cream came with a moisturizing lotion to go with it.  I haven't used it yet.  The cream says it is for the condition of too much keratin in the skin.  I was really worried after seeing all the terrible things it could be on the internet.  I have taken pictures to share, but it doesn't look like I can post them on this site, sorry.  Basically what I've found in my case is that this is nothing.  My husband used a salicylic shampoo for some junk on his scalp for a while and it cleared up so I think the lotion I was prescribed will work fine and for good riddance.
I noticed about a month ago that everytime i take a shower, wash my hands, do dishes, anything with water. But after my hands would get wet I would have these white raised patches on my palms that have small holes inside that patches. I went to the derm today to see what they think it might be and they told me they were not sure of the problem. Even when my hands appear to be sweaty these patches come back. When my hands are dry the patches are not as noticable, but you can still see the small holes and where the patches normaly would be if my hands were wet. I have no idea what this is but if anyone could help that would be great. Ill post a picture of it so you can see what it looks like while wet. If you look at my profile chrissygrego04 on here there is a picture i atached to it. If anyone else has the same problem then please comment or help me figure out what to do about this! Thanks
I am a 24 year old female and just started noticing the symptoms a few weeks ago (right before my 24th birthday, actually). Has anyone who has AWP been tested for the CF gene? I'm a bit of a hypochondriac so it scares me to think about since 99% of the AWP articles online suggest a correlation. I guess I won't know more until I'm pregnant one day and actually have a reason to test for this.

Also, my AWP doesn't hurt. I wonder if that's a symptom that will develop? Let's hope not!
Hi there,
Mine is seasonal as well but the reverse! I show symptoms from around April-September. I live in Texas so its pretty warm all year but I'm trying to find a correlation. Please let me know if you have any success with the Drysol or anything else. Thanks!

I have this same problem. I am a 30 year old female and have had this condition since I was 22. I have been to multiple dermatologists and they all say the same thing "I have no idea what that is". I am so glad to see other people have the same symptoms. I live in Texas and during the months of about April-October my hands show these white raised patches even after being in the water for just 10 minutes. It is quite embarassing going swimming. Holes do show up on the patches when they are raised and it is uncomfortable. I am always looking forward to the winter months as I do not have to deal with this then. I have tried Drysol and it did not seem to work for me. I am not sure if I will ever find a dermatologist that can help with AWP. Please keep everyone updated on any progress as this is a very rare condition.
I have these symptoms exactly. But I am a 34 year old man. All the info I've seen suggests this mostly occurs in women.  Is that true and if so, should I be concerned that something else is going on? There is no CF history in my family either.
I had the same thing and there is hardly anything on the Internet about this
condition-- I did manage to find out though what it's called. Most of you likely
have aquagenic syringeal acrokeratoderma. The reason there is not a lot of
information online is because scientists and doctors don't know much about it. A
lot of sites says that people with  Cystic fibrosis get this and that you should
be tested for CF because although you may not have it you may be a carrier I you
have aquagenic syringeal acrokeratoderma. Although I was not tested for SF bc I
do not have any other symptoms I do not think I have to worry because I found
out the cause. One website said nickel irritated it more I didn't think much of
it until I realized I have been playing a quarter machine game almost everyday
now at a local smoke shop. Quarters have nickel in them and this all started on
a rainy day after playing with the quarters. It took a while for it to
completely get out if my system and not happen anymore but i am positive it was
the nickel in the quarters. Everyone is different and good luck to you all. I
hope this helps!!!
Hi im a 34 year old man and have had this condition for near enough 20 years, started out as 3 pin pricks on center of left palm and has slowly spread to fill whole of palm area, half way up thumb and inbetween and over the thumb and index finger area.  The holes have never gone away, but only open up, swell and become painful wen wet.  I also do not use any of the chemicals you use (hair bleach etc). I once used a pin to pick at the holes but shall never do that again as the burning stinging pain was too much!!
I am a 24 year old female and the same thing started happening to me about two weeks ago. I got out of the shower and my hands kind of burned like they had absorbed too much water. They really hurt. And then when i looked closely at my palms, i noticed what looked like a thousand little pin holes which i assume were just large pores. Its very strange. It seems like many people who are complaining of this problem are around the same age?
All I can say I am so glad that I am not alone. I'm 15 years old and this has been going on for MONTHS and I've told my mom, dad, and stepmom about it and I seem to be the only person who thinks it's not normal. I can't contribute advice or anything, but thank you for letting me know I'm not the only person who's going through this.
My 10-year-old daughter was diagnosed with AWP today.  For a few months now, she's had excessive wrinkling and whitening of the palms after showering which improves after drying.  There's always a whitish "residue" on the palms when they are dry, one being worse than the other.  She doesn't complain of any other symptoms and didn't even want to show it to the doctor (we were there for a totally unrelated condition).

The dermatologist diagnosed AWP after observing the whitish residue on my daughter's dry hands, asking lots of questions, and then having her soak her hands in a tub of cool water for 10 minutes.  The doctor was amazed after seeing the results of soaking, took pictures, and said she had only seen this one other time in 10 years.  She brought out a medical book and showed us a picture.  She indicated that there is about a 10% chance my daughter will develop cystic fibrosis (CF).  She also said that the condition may resolve.  Nonetheless, my eyes flew open at the mention of CF, and I've been reading internet articles ever since we got home.

The doctor didn't recommend any testing or screening but said to keep CF in mind for the future.  I too, like some other contributors to this forum, am concered that most of the information about AWP focuses on its relationship to CF (or being a carrier for CF).  There is no family history of CF that I know of, but I never met my biological father, nor do I know much of anything about him or his family.  It doesn't seem like many of you have mentioned having CF.  Can anyone out there give me more information about AWP and the likelihood of future development CF?  I felt pretty good after discussing this the dermatologist, but I guess I'm looking for some reassurance!

I would appreciate anything you have to contribute!  Thanks so much!!
My daughter developed this condition when she went to college. It always went away when she came home. It took a number of useless Dr visits and a lot of research on my part but the cause and solution are simple. I raised her on a low salt diet and when she went to college and started eating salty dorm food she didn't metabolize it well; the result was swollen, white palms after any contact with water or sweat. She is now in an apartment and cooking low salt meals and the problem has completely gone away (except when whe has a really salty meal at a restaurant). DrySol did help but soon irritated her palms so she didn't like that "cure".  So try going low-salt or at least lower-salt and see if that helps.
Good evening.
First excuse my English but I'm French...
After looking for informations in my country about AWP (I could not find anything usefull), I found answers here.
My 8-years-old daughter has AWP since december 2012. It is very difficult to find informations about this diseace.
Yesterday we went to hospital to make the test for FC, and it is --- (relief...).
I am very happy to talk with people who have the same problem. I have a lot of questions about the evolution of this. First I would like to know if you keep on swimming, and what your doctors say about going into the water. Is there a risk? I wonder if, after several years with AWP, some other problems appear? (more dammaged skin, less sensations in the fingers, less dexterity?...). My daughter is so young, I'm sad and afraid that she can not chose the job, the hobbies that she would like... Please if you have answers, thank you for your help.
KARINE
I have had AWP for 15 years and have no issues with dexterity- for me AWP is mainly a superficial issue. I type on a keyboard sometimes up to 11 hours a day and no problems-- just the annoying white patches on the palms after showers. I'm now 32, so far so good!
I'm in the military and I began seeing this same thing happen to me while I was at bootcamp at age 18. I don't believe the condition is associated with the weather because this started in the dead of winter in IL and now I'm in CA a little less than two years later and it's started to come back again.

Mine seems to just come in waves as well and becomes almost painful when I try using my hands after showing or washing dishes. Even after using Clorox Wipes in my barracks room.

I do my hair when it's wet in the morning and even the short amount of time it takes me to do that makes my hands feel uncomfortable.

I plan on trying some of these suggestions and hopefully will be able to see some improvement!

Thanks all!
Just wondering if anyone on here can come back and confirm that their palm wrinkling is not related to CF?  One of my children has this happening at the moment and Im a bit worried it could be from undiagnosed CF.
I am a 29 yr old female and my condition started in 2011 while deployed in Afghanistan.  I originally thought I had overused hand sanitation but its been almost 3 years and I still have it.  When it first started my palms looked like I had soaked them in water for hours and there were huge white raised pores.  It did not go away completely but would reduce if I peeled off chunks of the skin which did not hurt.  The navy doctors first diagnosed it as fungus but none of the fungus treatments did anything.  They gave me some type of medication (topical cream) that helped tremendously but I cant recall the name.  After returning it went away but now comes back in waves.  It seems to come during a change in the season or if I am stressed out.  At first it will be very noticeable when I get out of the shower  and then looks like whitish patches after a few hours.  After a few days I scrape off a lot of the skin in the shower when it builds up with my figner nails and then it drys up after a week and returns to normal looking palms.  I went back to the doctor once when it came up but they had no idea and said I needed to see a dermatologist.  Unfortunately it doesn't stick around long enough for me to schedule an appointment and show a doctor the symptoms or take samples.  I haven't used any medicine since 2011 and just let it come in its waves since really its just annoying.  I do noticed that if the air is very dry or I have a dehumidifier on in my room at night then my palms are normal.  It seems any amount of moisture or sweat causes it to flare up.
Also I don't think its a specific area since I have lived in Afghanistan, North Carolina, and Washington DC with these symptoms all of which have different climates.  Mine seems to come with a change in the season.