recurring swollen lip

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

recurring swollen lip

I had the same problem a few times last spring and summer and now it seems to be the same thing.  My top lip would get swollen either on one side or the entire lip at night.  It would usually be back to almost normal by afternoon the next day.  It started out slowly with just minor tingling sometimes, then progressing into a lot of swelling and taking longer and longer to go down with each time it occurred.  Occurrences also go more and more frequent.  Benadryl didn't really help that much and neither did an ice pack.  I went to the dermatologist here in Korea last year, and she showed me a picture in a book and prescribed some anti-histamines, I think.  I can't remember what the condition was.  Once I went to the doctor, the condition didn't return and I never took the medicine she gave me.  The doctor said the condition was caused by stress and fatigue, which I'm definitely suffering from right now.  The swelling isn't bad during the day and I don't think it is really noticeable unless someone is looking really closely. Now there is a hard bump on my lip that feels warm and slightly numb on my lip where the swelling once was.  Last night I took one of the pills the Korean doctor gave me, but I have no idea what they are called or if they are expired!  I want to try to go to the doctor again, but I don't know of a dermatologist near me that speaks English.  Does anyone know what this is?  I was worried I may have contacted Herpes, but have not had any other problems on my body and it is not becoming a blister.

Please advise.  I am going to try to find a good doctor to give me peace of mind in the meantime...

This swelling could be angioedema, which causes tissue swelling.
Angioedema may be caused by an allergic reaction. It is associated with the release of histamine and other chemicals into the bloodstream. The body releases histamine when the immune system detects a foreign substance called an allergen.

Some of the common causes are drug allergy (caused by certain medications), emotional stress, exposure to water, sunlight, cold or heat and pollen.
Foods (such as berries, shellfish, fish, nuts, eggs, milk, and others) and insect bites are other trigger factors but you will be aware of this. Sometimes the cause of angioedema is never found.

Since yours seems to be a seasonal problem, it could be the pollen that is triggering this reaction. Since you mentioned stress,  that could be adding to the problem.
Angioedema is a swelling similar to hives, but the swelling is beneath the skin rather than on the surface as in the case of hives.

You can take antihistamines and anti-inflammatory medicines (corticosteroids) to treat this condition. Cool compresses or soaks can provide symptomatic relief.
ref:http://www.myonlinewellness.com/topic/adam1000846

OMG the same thing just happened to me about 4 days ago. I thought it was just a pimple so i popped it two days ago and put toothpaste on it and washed it and stuff and now there's like a small circular bump there and the certain spot get warm at times like its heating up...SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!! I hope its not a permanent scar??