Dermatology Expert Forum
red, flaky patches spread from eyebrows down.

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Hello,I'm wondering what is causing the red, flaky and somewhat itchy (not constantly) patches of skin on my face.  It started about a year and a half ago and I first noticed it in my eyebrows. Then I noticed two tiny patches on either side of the bridge of my nose.  Soon after that on the sides of my nose by the nostrils. Now there is a small patch above my lips(directly below the spot by my nostril. It seems to flare up for a few weeks then goes away only to reappear a week or two later(occassionally longer periods between). When it reappears it's always in the same spots.  I was hoping you could shed some light on this.  thanks
I think I can.  The areas you describe are characteristic of a condition called seborrheic dermatitis, or seborrhea for short.  This can affect people of any age, from infancy on up.  It comes and goes, and because the skin is inflamed rather than truly dry, moisturuzing doesn't help much.

You can try over-the-counter 1% hydrocortisone.  If that makes the spots go right away, then just keep using it as needed.  If not, a doctor should be able to prescribe something a bit stronger.  Soaps, moisturizers, and shampoos are pretty much whatever you want.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
I must assume from the other comments that I have seborrhea, I never knew the name of this condition. I have been applying a cream (Daktacort) with 1% hydrochortizone for nearly a decade with good results and no side effects. My symptoms also began with  red itchy patches either side of my nose. My GP  here in England suggested the cream and said it should be used within a couple of months. To save money I applied the cream every few days and made it last almost a year.
Although this cream works it is obviously allopathic and is essentially a steroid which makes the skin keep needing it. It works by killing off the excess yeasts in the skin which 'over- produced' in the first place and started the red itchy flaking.
Anyone else with this condition will notice how the redness and damaged skin increases in areas which are less exposed, i.e. beside the nostrils, perhaps even on the sternum or behind the ears. My question is: is there any one out there who knows of a cure which goes futher than patching over a problem?
to others with seborrhea; try, more sunlight and cut down on refined sugar,caffeine and alcohol!!!!
A related discussion, Can someone Help me please!!! was started.