red bumps on fingers

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Viewing 201-241 comments:
Mine was also stumped today by my painful bumps. I'm a surgical technologist so this *****. However, I was prescribed prednisone which is helping to my surprise. I thought maybe this would help. I know I'm aggravated no one knows what this is.
I have had symptoms of Reynaud's also.  And chillblains can be related to  Reynauds.  Reynauds is in the autoimmune/connective tissue problem area.
i have these red bumps on my finger as well, so does my brother and grandad it can be inherited, we go diagnosed with psoriasis, it flares up when your stressed and you can usually get steroid cream to sooth it :)
I also have those bumps and found the perfect picture and site;

http://www.skincarephysicians.com/eczemanet/hand_dermatitis.html

Hi everybody,

I think I have a similar problem.
You can watch my pictures to see if it looks like yours.
I tried a lot of stuff but the only thing that helped me was Ravintsara essential oil. Since I put it on my fingers few months ago, they didn't come back.

Hope you find this useful.
Good luck to all of you.
OMG, I'm going nuts right now- I have the EXACT same thing on my hands, this particular episode when the little red bumps went away my hands look like I have moles or freckles (just realizing that subconsciously I am under sum extreme STRESS right now) I would like 2 email w/ u all about this so maybe 2gether we can come 2 a consensus about this, it really blows me... ***@**** is my email, I look 4wd 2 hearing 4 u :) ~S.DOT
i think 'tender bumps' is something related to chemicals.  my daughter cleaned the bathroom floor yesterday with a wet rag using her hands and feet.  both her hands and feet had 'tender bumps' the next day.  the only chemical i am aware of that was on the floor was a little bit of AJAX.  She also simultaneously has several ulcers in her mouth which occurred BEFORE the tender bumps.  she is 14, we are in seattle, wa, it is in the 40's and high moisture (pretty much the same for the past month).  it is fall and hardly any airborne stuff. she also has a sore throat.  she was also a little stressed yesterday due to having to do a lot of chores.
I just went to a dermatologist with the same symptoms and was diagnosed with dyshidrotic eczema (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyshidrosis). Mine never itched, just felt like splinters under my skin. I was told to keep my skin heavily moisturized (I live in Minnesota and it's cold & dry here now), and was prescribed a steroid for outbreaks, although it's super greasy so I have a hard time using it. I can reply with the name of it when I have a moment.
I have the same problem as all of you.  Red painful spots/rash on hands, feet, etc. I have had this on and off for many years and have never gotten any answers.  I also have MS and on my last visit to my neurologist she suggested that it could be Sarcoidosis.  In my case it is Neurosarcoidosis.  I did my research and I have many of the symptoms.  The treatment is Steroids so that makes sense for those who tried taking steroids and they went away.  There a only a few tests to verify Sarcoidosis.  One is a testing ACE levels (mine was high) and then a biopsy (which I have not gotten the results yet)  I think it is a real possibility.  I hope this information helps at least some of you.  Good Luck!
Another test for Sarcoidosis would be a chest x-ray as that is where it is usually starts.  The spots are called Granuloma.
RAYNAUD'S DISEASE

Is the cause of my red bumps. I get them on my fingers (near upper two joints). They are painful to touch and itchy sometimes. I also get them on my toes.

They are triggered by stress, cold temperatures, hormonal birth control and certain medications.

It is caused by the arteries in my digits being too narrow, causing lack of circulation.

It took me a couple doctors before it was figured out since it can be a secondary issue caused by other disorders (like lupus, RA, and others). Mine is not a secondary issue (where it is called Raynauds phenomenon), it is a primary issue. It is most common in women.

Hope that helps some.

There are meds that can help, and i am going into a specialist who will help me find one. Suppliments like ginko and niacin have been said to help, but I would ask a doc first before starting anything. I took niacin for my toes when i was younger.

I wear socks at all times, and gloves whenever i go outside or feel my hands getting cold, but the breakouts can be severe. =P
I actually don't know what this red bump is but I know you and I suffering the same situation if you are looking for pics.. I have some of me....these dots show up a lot in finger areas... However, I have a permanent red dot in my arm it has been there for a while now... And I'm pretty sure it can happen to anyone... Because I am 13 I have these same red dots I just hope they aren't a sign of something serious later on...
This is my second run with these stupid bumps on my right hand. I have them on all five fingers (half an inch red circle of around 10 bumps on top of my thumb, and many single, yet very unnoticeable ones on my other four fingers) on my right hand. I've never had any type of symptom. No itching, no swelling, no pain. Nothing. Just bumps.

I don't remember if the previous time I had this if the weather here (SoCal) was dry and cold as it is now. But during this type of weather, my hands get very dry. Not sure if that is a factor. I'm also under mental stress.

I started applying Cortizone 10 Plus to the annoying areas during the day, and I apply it liberally on the group of bumps my thumb and cover it somewhat loosely with a band-aid before I go to bed. The red bumps on my thumb has reduced about half in redness and height in 48 hours. I'll continue with the Cortizone and post again in a few days with an update.
DID YOU EVER FIND OUT WHAT YOU HAVE? I HAVE IT TOO.
i too am a surgical technologist and this kills!!  of course my materials management person thinks i'm just nuts.  i already use a latex free glove they have to special order and the dermatologist suggested a different scrub.  i had to go to the health nurse, dermatologist again and the department manager to get it rolling.  so now i have a new glove and scrub yet am getting new outbreaks!!!  dermatologist is stumped and i have another appointment with he and a coleage.  if i ever get an answer i'll post it.  hopefully i'm not just nuts
Once again, my bumps are back.  They've been back monthly since my last post and for years prior.  This time they are not on my hands, however my elbows are completely covered.  They are painful to the touch, and grouping together.  All I can do is take pictures and keep track because every time I get to the doctors office or dermatologists office, the bumps are cleared.  I personally believe that these bumps are somehow related to hormones.  I am due for my period next week.  I tend to get them the week before, the week after or both.  Always these bumps appear; hands, knees and elbows.  Because there is currently no diagnosis, I am frustrated beyond belief.  I wish I knew what it was, I wish I knew if there was a magic  cure or treatment. For a long time, I've been very annoyed with having to choose what I wear based on if bumps appear and where.  I know a lot of people on here complain of these bumps.  As I read through them, some are similar and some are quite different.  We all have some sort of bumps but I don't think they're all the same.  However maybe there is some greater connection and I wish someone out there could find a cure.  
I've read all of the above & I also have these little red bumps on my fingers. Usually it's on my right index finger around the most distal knuckle, but I just started breaking out with them again & I have one on my right ring finger now. It hurts cuz I use that finger to stabilize my pen/pencil. The ones on my index finger presently have been the biggest cluster yet. This time it started out as a lump like maybe I'd hit it against a corner & bruised it, but within a couple days it developed into the bumps.
I've been getting these  outbreaks every couple months for the past two years. I thought perhaps it's because I washed my hands too often (I'm a  caregiver & wash my hands constantly) but reading your posts makes me wonder if it's really stress or eczema? I'd really live to kno what u find out asap!
My original post was Dec 21, and after six days of continuous application of Cortizone 10 Plus day and night to the irritating areas, the bumps went away. The main area that had the clusters on my thumb show only a very slight not easily noticeable red circle. Totally flat. It almost looks like a circular scar, but again, very unnoticeable unless I actually point it out to you. I feel that would have gone away also, but I lightened up on the frequency of the Cortizone 10 Plus applications once the cluster of bumps went away. I started with that remedy again once daily to see if that little circle disappears also. It does look much better.

I can't say Cortizone 10 Plus is the cure, but even after the first 24 hours of use with the loose band-aid, there was improvement. So I do believe this works. At least for me. If I do have another outbreak, I'll post again.

I can't see anything negative just by trying the Cortizone 10 Plus. I do suggest it. Post your results if you do try this.

I still don't know exactly why bumps came about.
my bump came about this weekend...between the pointing finger and thumb.  It started small and then grew.  It doesn't seem to have fluid in it...it is so sore.  A couple of days later...today--i see a rash from this bump going up my hand and half of my arm.  I noticed that my underarm was very sore this morning on the same side.  When I was younger I remember getting these after going to tanning beds...something to do with sweating and stress.  i haven't had these for decades, but have had extreme stress with my job the last couple of weeks.I quit putting lotion on my hands...had started using a new one with cocoa butter and oils...the tanning bed oils seemed to have been a contributor to me getting them years ago.  I am thinking that drying them out and avoiding moisture and lotions is what helps?
these red bumps are all over my hands this time, usually they are just on a few fingers, near the joint and on the sides, now they are all over, mostly on my fingers and one on the top of my hand and one spot on my palm. they usually don't hurt so bad, but this time, they are very painful, i really wonder what causes this.  i'm also getting a lot of electrically shocks, i'm thinking this has to be related to vitamins i'm taking or something i ate recently.
I too have them. I am glad that these are more common than I perhaps thought! Mine are a bit fluid filled and can be itchy and painful at times. Once they go away the skin under them peels! Does anyone else's do this?
It is definitely not Raynauds.  I have that too.  It's symptoms are totally different
I as well am dealing with this issue. I'm 18 and a college student. I was recently in a car accident , and since then my stress level has gone up. I exercise frequently and diet. Ever since school and the accident happened I overwhelm myself with working out, classes, diet, and other personal issues, such as my chronic back pain. It may be this that's causing these red bumps on my fingers (nuckles/sides of fingers). They tend to swell and it irritates when I rub my fingers through them. I am considering going to a dermatologist to check this out. All in all I do think stress is causing this to occur
no one asked u to be rude! to someone who has no clue what it is they might think its cancerous..and not knowing is scary! dont chastise a person for seeking answers your have no right you'd think having beatin any form of cancer twice you would b more understanding what if a dr. told you to get over it when you asked them what was wrong with u? its nice that you said it was common and not to worry but jeeze don't dumb someone down for asking a question isn't that exactly what this sight is for? i searched it for the same reason and its good to have closure on the topic and to know its not just me..you can't blame someone for asking! no one asked you to answer the question u seemed so annoyed with!
I have these same "bumps" on my fingers and toes as well. They started about 10 or 15 years ago, I can't quite remember. I get them around my PIP and DIP joints mostly, but I also get them pretty much anywhere distal to my MCP in my hands. They appear distally on my toes. I also have Raynaud's Syndrome and have been to both a dermatologist and rheumatologist for both conditions. I had a labs drawn and came back with a positive ANA and slight anemia. My doctor originally came up with the diagnosis of Discoid Lupus. I was given Prednisone, which definitely helped with the symptoms, and a steroids cream that did not. I recently went back to a different doctor (all within the VA system) and was told I might actually have Systemic lupus, SLE. I'm back on another course of Prednisone since my hands became so painful that I couldn't type, grip anything, or carry on with hobbies I enjoy, like rock climbing. The Prednisone really works well as it seems pretty clear this is an autoimmune issue. It seems my Raynaud's and possible Lupus are connected, but I don't seem to be able to get a definitive answer from anyone. Its really frustrating not being able to manage my symptoms, and I don't want to to have to take Prednisone every time it gets bad. I was in the military and I'm a graduate student now, so I'm probably a little on the stressed side without even realizing it, but I've had them appear randomly throughout my life without any apparent connection to temperature, stress, or contact with any particular lotion or anything. I had chicken pox as a kid, don't have herpes or lesions anywhere else besides my fingers and toes (the places where Raynauds affects me), and had a biopsy of one of the bumps that came back inconclusive.
I hope this is somewhat helpful to anyone out there who might want to know where to turn to for help or answers. This has stumped me and my doctors for years and it's really frustrating to just have to deal with it or take pretty serious drugs to manage symptoms without addressing the underlying problem.
I'm 17 and I get small, red bumps on my hands. They started out on my right pointer finger, moved to the same thumb, then to the opposite hand. I noticed one day that I had a few on the tops of my feet. Right now, they are literally all over the top of my hands. Triple Antibiotic ointments (Hydro-cortisone) get rid of the itch. All in all, they don't hurt, just itch like mad. When I scratch them, they seem to get larger and disappear within a few days.

My mother is a doctor, but she won't really take a gander at them.
I think mine are a type of nerve problem and are connected with stress.
I need help.
Hi, I get the same red bumps.
I recently started getting them and first they were itchy but now they feel like splinters when I touch them. I only have them on one knuckle and then on the inside part of my middle finger then one on the tip/side of my pointer finger.
I have no idea what brought them on but its driving me crazy not knowing. I haven't gone to a doctor yet only because people online have already gone and they keep telling them that its something its not. I'm a teenager, and yeah i'm stressed but i'm always stressed and these have never shown up before. Its definitely not allergies because i took allergy medication and it did absolutely nothing for me.
Please help! its making me go insane.
I am a female in my thirties and have been suffering from the same bumps most people describe. Painful but not itchy. They come and go.

I was wondering, are most of the people posting here women? Could it be a side effect of endometriosis?

I know it's a stretch, but happened to be researching endometriosis (think I may have it) and then I saw here that some women also seem to have the bumps during their periods...so I wonder if there's a connection.
I'm breaking out today as I type this. Red, small and painful bumps. Definitely is not a rash. Leaves scars after it has run its course. I get them more so on my right hand and right elbow. Althougth, today I have one popping up on my left thumb pad. I noticed they come on with stress. Had a very stressful Tuesday, nice calm Wednesday, Thursday is starting out stressful and bingo bango red bumps are popping up. I hate to spend the $$$ on a dermatologist. Is there a name for this?
I started getting these about two months ago.  The first month i kept thinking i have a splinter in my thumb i couldnt see.  It went away, then i realized it came back in a different spot that hey thats something.  I usually just have one or two mostly on my right hand, showing them to people they say i dont see nothing.  I can feel them and barely see them.  About the size of a pin head.  Feels like a splinter.  After a week they are not as sore and about 2 to 2.5 weeks later its gone, and another will pop up.  Have been on my thumb, middle finger, ring finger and just today the one on my middle finger is just about gone and one popped up on my palm.  went to the dr about 3 weeks ago.  She didnt know.  Said since i hace a cat and had cat scratches could be cat scratch fever, she prescribed antibiotic and a antibiotic cream.  took the pills, still use the cream.  I dont beleive it was that.  she said if it didnt clear up see a dermatologist.  hard to pay that much on a bump i cant see.  I also clean houses she said could be chemicals.  Started wearing gloves... still getting them.  i will say, i believe when i first started getting them i was really upset with my job.  Tues someone up set me as well...had a new one today.. The cream she prescribed makes them go away after i put it on there, im feeling all around for it, but by days end its back and sore.  Ive read moisturize im going to try that to.  
Try zinc tablets.  I found out mine was a zinc defiency.  When I started taking them it went away.  I had had them on and off for as long as I can remember, when I started taking them they went away.  I noticed also when I was stressed out they would pop up, not anymore.  It us worth a try for you.  I called them nerve bumps!
I thought I had this figured out.  Red small bumps.  Don't itch but pain when touched like a splinter.  Started out on the sides of my fingers on 1 hand now on both hands on all sides of my fingers.  I get a few new ones a day.  I thought, hey I am stressed and my gut is wiped out from antibiotics there are plenty of reasons they might have formed.

Then I showed them to my wife and she showed me her hands and she had them too.  Apparently she has had the problem before I developed it.  I believe you all that it is non-contagious, but there must be some common source that is causing it.  Maybe over hand-washing with the antibacterial soap or some chemical we are using in the house to clean or maybe even a low humidity domicile which causes dry skin.  I wonder what the odds are of us both be genetically predisposed to such a condition?
awesome i suffer from the same symptons, Im wondering from wheat and dairy products like candia perhaps. Anyways its driving me crazy!
I had small red dots on my hand that didn't itch, but instead hurt as though there was a splinter in my skin. At first it was just bothersome, but then I got several all over my hand and palms, and a few on my feet. At that point, the pain was fairly unbearable. Even washing my hands hurt like I was scraping glass over them.

I found out through my doctor that its Hand Foot Mouth disease. You can look it up on webMD. http://children.webmd.com/hand-foot-and-mouth-disease-directory

Please don't confuse this with foot and mouth disease that's associated with animals.

Both my wife and I got this, we think from our son who came back from Daycare with a few mouth sores. We also got what looked like canker sores in our mouth. But we had like 5-6 in our mouths. Just as WebMD describes, the symptoms went away like just under a week. We have some fatigue and fever but nothing too bad. If you tend to get this often, then you're probably surrounded by children 10 years and younger. Just remember to wash you hands frequentyl and look out for kids and adults that have hand and mouth sores. :)
I too have this same issue - tiny red bumps that are painless unless you put pressure on them then they feel like splinters. I usually only get one at a time (I have one now), and they are usually years apart. I have to second zoe's sentiment that it is linked to sugar intake. I have been on an antibiotic that has a bad interaction with alcohol, so I haven't been able to have my nightly beer, which means I've had an ice cream sandwich instead.  So it has been a week of higher than normal sugar intake, and there it is.
I have the same problem :(. I'm a 23 yr old female. I get small clear bumps on the top of one finger on my left hand. They turn red when I was my hands in hot water and sometimes itches slightly. Sometimes it hurts even if I brush my hand over it. It will be gone for a few weeks and come back. I've had it for almost 6 months on and off. I thought it was an infection. Found this site looking for an answer. If I find one, ill post back here.
look up Dyshidrosis
I have been getting these for a few years now also, but weird thing is only in the winter and when I lived up North when the weather was -20, to -40 in the winters I never had this, now im in the city where in the winter its only ever as cold as -20 and I get them...... When I first noticed I had just changed jobs and thought maybe chemical but now after paying attention to when I do get them, I think it might have something to do with metal or magnetics, not sure why but that seems to trigger it for me.  
Folks I have had these occasionally also.The painful ones usually have some infection and what i have used is wart remover--sacylic acid and a combination of castor oil.Castor oil will reduce and eventually eliminate the hard ones.The wart remover will slowly super dry your skin out and eventually you will have a thin layer of skin and you can pop it open.I do not have gout but the one or 2 painful bumps I have had have been filled with a white substance which looks like Tophi.I hate these things also and if you do not like pain--like getting them aspirated--do it yourself.The wart remover I use is for plantar warts on the feet and it has cured the 2 painful bumps i have had.I work in the medical field and am not claiming to be a doctor, but these 2 treatments work.Castor oil and plantar wart remover.
It sounds like a stress related. See when the body is stressed it releases a Chemical called cortisone. Possibly each of your bodies responde so negitivly to this that your body seems to "target" the areas of your body that are most used and these "sores" are in a way acting like white blood cells to infection. Possibly the sores are simply your body trying to get the stress aka "cortisone" to stop.
It sounds like a stress related. See when the body is stressed it releases a Chemical called cortisone. Possibly each of your bodies responde so negitivly to this that your body seems to "target" the areas of your body that are most used and these "sores" are in a way acting like white blood cells to infection. Possibly the sores are simply your body trying to get the stress aka "cortisone" to stop
I have little bumps on the tips of my fingers they come and go mainly show In the spring and summer my nana gets them as well I wake up with them in the mornings and they itch but hurt by touch! They tend to last only a few days till more pop up! Iv had them all my life and don't know what they are.....
I'm adding my two cents to this list, in case it may help some people. I may or may not have Exfoliative Keratolysis (see related discussion list on this site), but I also get red lumps like those described here.

I'm surprised no one has suggested Pompholyx, which is my self-diagnosis - I get a stinging/burning feeling, and the lumps are tender if I knock them. I usually get them on the sides of my hands. This website is helpful: http://dermnetnz.org/dermatitis/pompholyx.html. The photos are a little browner than my red lumps, but the top photo of the hands is a dead-ringer for what I get (fortunately I don't get as many as this poor person).  Some may find this helps them get a diagnosis, anyway.
I have the exact same problem they don't really bother me I'm just curious to find out what causes them I have noticed the last couple of times they appeared I was stressed or sick with a cold
I as well have these annoying red bumps on just one of my fingers.. They come and go periodically on the same finger! i also used cortizone cream and it works for a bit, but they do end up coming back?/Help any1
Hi, my name is Emma and I am from Enfield in London and I have found all of these posts really helpful and reassuring. I have been getting these little red bumps for years now, since my teen years and now I am 31. Exactly what everyone says, small reddish bumps at the sides of my top knuckle on my fingers, nothing in them just red bumps and they arrive stay a few weeks and new skin forms and they dry up and go away, they are tender to press like when holding a pen to write so the pressure hurts a little. When they first appeared I was working in clothing retail in my first job and my colleagues said they are an allergy to nickel as we we hold a lot of hangers. But I work in an office now and don't believe I touch a lot of nickel or even metal items. Anyway I have them at the moment and they are quite bad this time and have appeared on my right hand middle.  finger at the side and on my pad plus my left hand middle and third finger are getting them but on my top creases of the knuckles which is unusual and first time its happened. I am going to my GP this week so will update this post with any news. Emma
I also have had this off and on. I get them on the sides of my fingers and sometimes on the insides of my hands in the joints which is pretty painful. I also sometimes get them on the pads of my toes. It's a form of eczema called pompholyx. I don't know if there's a cure, but using a combination of Benedryl cream and an anti fungal and making sure my feet are completely dry before putting on socks usually helps clear things up quicker than waiting it out.
Not saying this applies to everyone but have you thought of being tested for Lupus?
That happen too me  and it was crazy I had to go to the doctor to see  what was happening to me and that was it lol
Viewing 201-241 comments:
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers