red bumps on fingers
For the last 20 years I have gotten small red bumps on the sides of my fingers.  They don't blister.  They start out as one or two and then I might get a few more and they seem to cluster up on only the sides of my fingers.  They are not itchy but they are sore to the touch when you run your finger over them.  It feels like you have a splinter.  They are slightly raised and red in color.  They will stay for varying lengths of time and then dry up and go away.  Usually not for more than a couple of weeks.  I may go for months and months and not get them and then all of a sudden they show up.  I have been to various dermatologists over the years and they seem puzzled and never seem to know what they are.
Another test for Sarcoidosis would be a chest x-ray as that is where it is usually starts.  The spots are called Granuloma.
RAYNAUD'S DISEASE

Is the cause of my red bumps. I get them on my fingers (near upper two joints). They are painful to touch and itchy sometimes. I also get them on my toes.

They are triggered by stress, cold temperatures, hormonal birth control and certain medications.

It is caused by the arteries in my digits being too narrow, causing lack of circulation.

It took me a couple doctors before it was figured out since it can be a secondary issue caused by other disorders (like lupus, RA, and others). Mine is not a secondary issue (where it is called Raynauds phenomenon), it is a primary issue. It is most common in women.

Hope that helps some.

There are meds that can help, and i am going into a specialist who will help me find one. Suppliments like ginko and niacin have been said to help, but I would ask a doc first before starting anything. I took niacin for my toes when i was younger.

I wear socks at all times, and gloves whenever i go outside or feel my hands getting cold, but the breakouts can be severe. =P
I actually don't know what this red bump is but I know you and I suffering the same situation if you are looking for pics.. I have some of me....these dots show up a lot in finger areas... However, I have a permanent red dot in my arm it has been there for a while now... And I'm pretty sure it can happen to anyone... Because I am 13 I have these same red dots I just hope they aren't a sign of something serious later on...
This is my second run with these stupid bumps on my right hand. I have them on all five fingers (half an inch red circle of around 10 bumps on top of my thumb, and many single, yet very unnoticeable ones on my other four fingers) on my right hand. I've never had any type of symptom. No itching, no swelling, no pain. Nothing. Just bumps.

I don't remember if the previous time I had this if the weather here (SoCal) was dry and cold as it is now. But during this type of weather, my hands get very dry. Not sure if that is a factor. I'm also under mental stress.

I started applying Cortizone 10 Plus to the annoying areas during the day, and I apply it liberally on the group of bumps my thumb and cover it somewhat loosely with a band-aid before I go to bed. The red bumps on my thumb has reduced about half in redness and height in 48 hours. I'll continue with the Cortizone and post again in a few days with an update.
DID YOU EVER FIND OUT WHAT YOU HAVE? I HAVE IT TOO.
i too am a surgical technologist and this kills!!  of course my materials management person thinks i'm just nuts.  i already use a latex free glove they have to special order and the dermatologist suggested a different scrub.  i had to go to the health nurse, dermatologist again and the department manager to get it rolling.  so now i have a new glove and scrub yet am getting new outbreaks!!!  dermatologist is stumped and i have another appointment with he and a coleage.  if i ever get an answer i'll post it.  hopefully i'm not just nuts
Once again, my bumps are back.  They've been back monthly since my last post and for years prior.  This time they are not on my hands, however my elbows are completely covered.  They are painful to the touch, and grouping together.  All I can do is take pictures and keep track because every time I get to the doctors office or dermatologists office, the bumps are cleared.  I personally believe that these bumps are somehow related to hormones.  I am due for my period next week.  I tend to get them the week before, the week after or both.  Always these bumps appear; hands, knees and elbows.  Because there is currently no diagnosis, I am frustrated beyond belief.  I wish I knew what it was, I wish I knew if there was a magic  cure or treatment. For a long time, I've been very annoyed with having to choose what I wear based on if bumps appear and where.  I know a lot of people on here complain of these bumps.  As I read through them, some are similar and some are quite different.  We all have some sort of bumps but I don't think they're all the same.  However maybe there is some greater connection and I wish someone out there could find a cure.  
I've read all of the above & I also have these little red bumps on my fingers. Usually it's on my right index finger around the most distal knuckle, but I just started breaking out with them again & I have one on my right ring finger now. It hurts cuz I use that finger to stabilize my pen/pencil. The ones on my index finger presently have been the biggest cluster yet. This time it started out as a lump like maybe I'd hit it against a corner & bruised it, but within a couple days it developed into the bumps.
I've been getting these  outbreaks every couple months for the past two years. I thought perhaps it's because I washed my hands too often (I'm a  caregiver & wash my hands constantly) but reading your posts makes me wonder if it's really stress or eczema? I'd really live to kno what u find out asap!
My original post was Dec 21, and after six days of continuous application of Cortizone 10 Plus day and night to the irritating areas, the bumps went away. The main area that had the clusters on my thumb show only a very slight not easily noticeable red circle. Totally flat. It almost looks like a circular scar, but again, very unnoticeable unless I actually point it out to you. I feel that would have gone away also, but I lightened up on the frequency of the Cortizone 10 Plus applications once the cluster of bumps went away. I started with that remedy again once daily to see if that little circle disappears also. It does look much better.

I can't say Cortizone 10 Plus is the cure, but even after the first 24 hours of use with the loose band-aid, there was improvement. So I do believe this works. At least for me. If I do have another outbreak, I'll post again.

I can't see anything negative just by trying the Cortizone 10 Plus. I do suggest it. Post your results if you do try this.

I still don't know exactly why bumps came about.
my bump came about this weekend...between the pointing finger and thumb.  It started small and then grew.  It doesn't seem to have fluid in it...it is so sore.  A couple of days later...today--i see a rash from this bump going up my hand and half of my arm.  I noticed that my underarm was very sore this morning on the same side.  When I was younger I remember getting these after going to tanning beds...something to do with sweating and stress.  i haven't had these for decades, but have had extreme stress with my job the last couple of weeks.I quit putting lotion on my hands...had started using a new one with cocoa butter and oils...the tanning bed oils seemed to have been a contributor to me getting them years ago.  I am thinking that drying them out and avoiding moisture and lotions is what helps?
these red bumps are all over my hands this time, usually they are just on a few fingers, near the joint and on the sides, now they are all over, mostly on my fingers and one on the top of my hand and one spot on my palm. they usually don't hurt so bad, but this time, they are very painful, i really wonder what causes this.  i'm also getting a lot of electrically shocks, i'm thinking this has to be related to vitamins i'm taking or something i ate recently.
I too have them. I am glad that these are more common than I perhaps thought! Mine are a bit fluid filled and can be itchy and painful at times. Once they go away the skin under them peels! Does anyone else's do this?
It is definitely not Raynauds.  I have that too.  It's symptoms are totally different
I as well am dealing with this issue. I'm 18 and a college student. I was recently in a car accident , and since then my stress level has gone up. I exercise frequently and diet. Ever since school and the accident happened I overwhelm myself with working out, classes, diet, and other personal issues, such as my chronic back pain. It may be this that's causing these red bumps on my fingers (nuckles/sides of fingers). They tend to swell and it irritates when I rub my fingers through them. I am considering going to a dermatologist to check this out. All in all I do think stress is causing this to occur
no one asked u to be rude! to someone who has no clue what it is they might think its cancerous..and not knowing is scary! dont chastise a person for seeking answers your have no right you'd think having beatin any form of cancer twice you would b more understanding what if a dr. told you to get over it when you asked them what was wrong with u? its nice that you said it was common and not to worry but jeeze don't dumb someone down for asking a question isn't that exactly what this sight is for? i searched it for the same reason and its good to have closure on the topic and to know its not just me..you can't blame someone for asking! no one asked you to answer the question u seemed so annoyed with!
I have these same "bumps" on my fingers and toes as well. They started about 10 or 15 years ago, I can't quite remember. I get them around my PIP and DIP joints mostly, but I also get them pretty much anywhere distal to my MCP in my hands. They appear distally on my toes. I also have Raynaud's Syndrome and have been to both a dermatologist and rheumatologist for both conditions. I had a labs drawn and came back with a positive ANA and slight anemia. My doctor originally came up with the diagnosis of Discoid Lupus. I was given Prednisone, which definitely helped with the symptoms, and a steroids cream that did not. I recently went back to a different doctor (all within the VA system) and was told I might actually have Systemic lupus, SLE. I'm back on another course of Prednisone since my hands became so painful that I couldn't type, grip anything, or carry on with hobbies I enjoy, like rock climbing. The Prednisone really works well as it seems pretty clear this is an autoimmune issue. It seems my Raynaud's and possible Lupus are connected, but I don't seem to be able to get a definitive answer from anyone. Its really frustrating not being able to manage my symptoms, and I don't want to to have to take Prednisone every time it gets bad. I was in the military and I'm a graduate student now, so I'm probably a little on the stressed side without even realizing it, but I've had them appear randomly throughout my life without any apparent connection to temperature, stress, or contact with any particular lotion or anything. I had chicken pox as a kid, don't have herpes or lesions anywhere else besides my fingers and toes (the places where Raynauds affects me), and had a biopsy of one of the bumps that came back inconclusive.
I hope this is somewhat helpful to anyone out there who might want to know where to turn to for help or answers. This has stumped me and my doctors for years and it's really frustrating to just have to deal with it or take pretty serious drugs to manage symptoms without addressing the underlying problem.
I'm 17 and I get small, red bumps on my hands. They started out on my right pointer finger, moved to the same thumb, then to the opposite hand. I noticed one day that I had a few on the tops of my feet. Right now, they are literally all over the top of my hands. Triple Antibiotic ointments (Hydro-cortisone) get rid of the itch. All in all, they don't hurt, just itch like mad. When I scratch them, they seem to get larger and disappear within a few days.

My mother is a doctor, but she won't really take a gander at them.
I think mine are a type of nerve problem and are connected with stress.
I need help.
Hi, I get the same red bumps.
I recently started getting them and first they were itchy but now they feel like splinters when I touch them. I only have them on one knuckle and then on the inside part of my middle finger then one on the tip/side of my pointer finger.
I have no idea what brought them on but its driving me crazy not knowing. I haven't gone to a doctor yet only because people online have already gone and they keep telling them that its something its not. I'm a teenager, and yeah i'm stressed but i'm always stressed and these have never shown up before. Its definitely not allergies because i took allergy medication and it did absolutely nothing for me.
Please help! its making me go insane.
I am a female in my thirties and have been suffering from the same bumps most people describe. Painful but not itchy. They come and go.

I was wondering, are most of the people posting here women? Could it be a side effect of endometriosis?

I know it's a stretch, but happened to be researching endometriosis (think I may have it) and then I saw here that some women also seem to have the bumps during their periods...so I wonder if there's a connection.
I'm breaking out today as I type this. Red, small and painful bumps. Definitely is not a rash. Leaves scars after it has run its course. I get them more so on my right hand and right elbow. Althougth, today I have one popping up on my left thumb pad. I noticed they come on with stress. Had a very stressful Tuesday, nice calm Wednesday, Thursday is starting out stressful and bingo bango red bumps are popping up. I hate to spend the $$$ on a dermatologist. Is there a name for this?
I started getting these about two months ago.  The first month i kept thinking i have a splinter in my thumb i couldnt see.  It went away, then i realized it came back in a different spot that hey thats something.  I usually just have one or two mostly on my right hand, showing them to people they say i dont see nothing.  I can feel them and barely see them.  About the size of a pin head.  Feels like a splinter.  After a week they are not as sore and about 2 to 2.5 weeks later its gone, and another will pop up.  Have been on my thumb, middle finger, ring finger and just today the one on my middle finger is just about gone and one popped up on my palm.  went to the dr about 3 weeks ago.  She didnt know.  Said since i hace a cat and had cat scratches could be cat scratch fever, she prescribed antibiotic and a antibiotic cream.  took the pills, still use the cream.  I dont beleive it was that.  she said if it didnt clear up see a dermatologist.  hard to pay that much on a bump i cant see.  I also clean houses she said could be chemicals.  Started wearing gloves... still getting them.  i will say, i believe when i first started getting them i was really upset with my job.  Tues someone up set me as well...had a new one today.. The cream she prescribed makes them go away after i put it on there, im feeling all around for it, but by days end its back and sore.  Ive read moisturize im going to try that to.  
Try zinc tablets.  I found out mine was a zinc defiency.  When I started taking them it went away.  I had had them on and off for as long as I can remember, when I started taking them they went away.  I noticed also when I was stressed out they would pop up, not anymore.  It us worth a try for you.  I called them nerve bumps!
I thought I had this figured out.  Red small bumps.  Don't itch but pain when touched like a splinter.  Started out on the sides of my fingers on 1 hand now on both hands on all sides of my fingers.  I get a few new ones a day.  I thought, hey I am stressed and my gut is wiped out from antibiotics there are plenty of reasons they might have formed.

Then I showed them to my wife and she showed me her hands and she had them too.  Apparently she has had the problem before I developed it.  I believe you all that it is non-contagious, but there must be some common source that is causing it.  Maybe over hand-washing with the antibacterial soap or some chemical we are using in the house to clean or maybe even a low humidity domicile which causes dry skin.  I wonder what the odds are of us both be genetically predisposed to such a condition?
awesome i suffer from the same symptons, Im wondering from wheat and dairy products like candia perhaps. Anyways its driving me crazy!
I had small red dots on my hand that didn't itch, but instead hurt as though there was a splinter in my skin. At first it was just bothersome, but then I got several all over my hand and palms, and a few on my feet. At that point, the pain was fairly unbearable. Even washing my hands hurt like I was scraping glass over them.

I found out through my doctor that its Hand Foot Mouth disease. You can look it up on webMD. http://children.webmd.com/hand-foot-and-mouth-disease-directory

Please don't confuse this with foot and mouth disease that's associated with animals.

Both my wife and I got this, we think from our son who came back from Daycare with a few mouth sores. We also got what looked like canker sores in our mouth. But we had like 5-6 in our mouths. Just as WebMD describes, the symptoms went away like just under a week. We have some fatigue and fever but nothing too bad. If you tend to get this often, then you're probably surrounded by children 10 years and younger. Just remember to wash you hands frequentyl and look out for kids and adults that have hand and mouth sores. :)
I too have this same issue - tiny red bumps that are painless unless you put pressure on them then they feel like splinters. I usually only get one at a time (I have one now), and they are usually years apart. I have to second zoe's sentiment that it is linked to sugar intake. I have been on an antibiotic that has a bad interaction with alcohol, so I haven't been able to have my nightly beer, which means I've had an ice cream sandwich instead.  So it has been a week of higher than normal sugar intake, and there it is.
I have the same problem :(. I'm a 23 yr old female. I get small clear bumps on the top of one finger on my left hand. They turn red when I was my hands in hot water and sometimes itches slightly. Sometimes it hurts even if I brush my hand over it. It will be gone for a few weeks and come back. I've had it for almost 6 months on and off. I thought it was an infection. Found this site looking for an answer. If I find one, ill post back here.
look up Dyshidrosis
I have been getting these for a few years now also, but weird thing is only in the winter and when I lived up North when the weather was -20, to -40 in the winters I never had this, now im in the city where in the winter its only ever as cold as -20 and I get them...... When I first noticed I had just changed jobs and thought maybe chemical but now after paying attention to when I do get them, I think it might have something to do with metal or magnetics, not sure why but that seems to trigger it for me.  
Folks I have had these occasionally also.The painful ones usually have some infection and what i have used is wart remover--sacylic acid and a combination of castor oil.Castor oil will reduce and eventually eliminate the hard ones.The wart remover will slowly super dry your skin out and eventually you will have a thin layer of skin and you can pop it open.I do not have gout but the one or 2 painful bumps I have had have been filled with a white substance which looks like Tophi.I hate these things also and if you do not like pain--like getting them aspirated--do it yourself.The wart remover I use is for plantar warts on the feet and it has cured the 2 painful bumps i have had.I work in the medical field and am not claiming to be a doctor, but these 2 treatments work.Castor oil and plantar wart remover.
It sounds like a stress related. See when the body is stressed it releases a Chemical called cortisone. Possibly each of your bodies responde so negitivly to this that your body seems to "target" the areas of your body that are most used and these "sores" are in a way acting like white blood cells to infection. Possibly the sores are simply your body trying to get the stress aka "cortisone" to stop.
It sounds like a stress related. See when the body is stressed it releases a Chemical called cortisone. Possibly each of your bodies responde so negitivly to this that your body seems to "target" the areas of your body that are most used and these "sores" are in a way acting like white blood cells to infection. Possibly the sores are simply your body trying to get the stress aka "cortisone" to stop
I have little bumps on the tips of my fingers they come and go mainly show In the spring and summer my nana gets them as well I wake up with them in the mornings and they itch but hurt by touch! They tend to last only a few days till more pop up! Iv had them all my life and don't know what they are.....
I'm adding my two cents to this list, in case it may help some people. I may or may not have Exfoliative Keratolysis (see related discussion list on this site), but I also get red lumps like those described here.

I'm surprised no one has suggested Pompholyx, which is my self-diagnosis - I get a stinging/burning feeling, and the lumps are tender if I knock them. I usually get them on the sides of my hands. This website is helpful: http://dermnetnz.org/dermatitis/pompholyx.html. The photos are a little browner than my red lumps, but the top photo of the hands is a dead-ringer for what I get (fortunately I don't get as many as this poor person).  Some may find this helps them get a diagnosis, anyway.
I have the exact same problem they don't really bother me I'm just curious to find out what causes them I have noticed the last couple of times they appeared I was stressed or sick with a cold
I as well have these annoying red bumps on just one of my fingers.. They come and go periodically on the same finger! i also used cortizone cream and it works for a bit, but they do end up coming back?/Help any1
Hi, my name is Emma and I am from Enfield in London and I have found all of these posts really helpful and reassuring. I have been getting these little red bumps for years now, since my teen years and now I am 31. Exactly what everyone says, small reddish bumps at the sides of my top knuckle on my fingers, nothing in them just red bumps and they arrive stay a few weeks and new skin forms and they dry up and go away, they are tender to press like when holding a pen to write so the pressure hurts a little. When they first appeared I was working in clothing retail in my first job and my colleagues said they are an allergy to nickel as we we hold a lot of hangers. But I work in an office now and don't believe I touch a lot of nickel or even metal items. Anyway I have them at the moment and they are quite bad this time and have appeared on my right hand middle.  finger at the side and on my pad plus my left hand middle and third finger are getting them but on my top creases of the knuckles which is unusual and first time its happened. I am going to my GP this week so will update this post with any news. Emma
I also have had this off and on. I get them on the sides of my fingers and sometimes on the insides of my hands in the joints which is pretty painful. I also sometimes get them on the pads of my toes. It's a form of eczema called pompholyx. I don't know if there's a cure, but using a combination of Benedryl cream and an anti fungal and making sure my feet are completely dry before putting on socks usually helps clear things up quicker than waiting it out.
Not saying this applies to everyone but have you thought of being tested for Lupus?
That happen too me  and it was crazy I had to go to the doctor to see  what was happening to me and that was it lol
I get these painful red bumps on my fingers during times of stress... Have since I was a kid. I also realized they flare up after cleaning with household products if I don't wear gloves. They are very painful and reddened when they first arise, then become less painful and less reddened with time. I saw a dermatologist for this when I was a kid and diagnosed, but my mom cannot remember what it was called. From my research as an adult it appears to be dyshidrosis or dyshidrotic eczema. Cortisone cream helps them go away faster. I'm making an appointment with my dermatologist to verify diagnosis. They'll probably be gone by the time I get in to see her. Also like many others with this problem, I work in healthcare and wash my hands constantly.  Research says to keep hands well moisturized. Hope this helps some of you suffering from this skin condition.
Thanks AnMarirn, I've same condition. it flares during winter mostly for me. Please let me know your dermatologist's diagnosis and recommendations. I visited my dermatologist several times and even got biopsy done but it was inconclusive.  
Ulcers in mouth may be autoimmune, take her to rhuematologist...sore throat may actually be ulcers in throat. I get these bumps on hands and worse symptoms due to stress or foreign chemicals. Good luck!
I don't have time to read every comment but I posted here in 2012 that I had the same problem and if I every learned anything I would repost. I had the same thing you described and it would go away for months and come back. I had never been to a doctor until my hands got too hot from being near the stove while cooking and the bumps swelled up,  then I scraped one finger on something and I think it infected it (very red,  tender,  itchy, oozing) the doctor gave me a steroid cream and said it was contact dermatitis. He said if I go to a dermatologist they can take some of it from my finger and tell me what is causing it so I can avoid it. I have not gone to a dermatologist and my hands have like a red mild scar from where I used the cream to make the bumps go away.
This is EXACTLY what I have.  It starts with red, sore bumps on my fingers (mostly index finger) and then after a few days they turn brown (like blood blisters) and slowly fade away.  They are getting worse with time and the last episode has left my index finger looking like I have tiny stab wounds that are healing.  At first I thought it was from glue I use when doing art projects, but I have stopped using the glues, paints and anything else I could think of.  Maybe stress, but I'm not sure.
My daughter had the same thing, red, itchy painful bumps on her fingers and toes. Yesterday, we soaked both hands and feet for forty minutes in water (as hot as she could stand-about 2 quarts) and about 1/4 cup of "Batherapy Natural Mineral Bath" that I found in the closet. It was purchased at Sally Beauty Supply, one pound plastic bottle for $5.49, but I don't know when. It could have been in the closed for years. As soon as her feet were in the water, the itching stopped, and now 24 hrs later, has not returned. The pain stopped last night while she was sleeping and has not returned as yet. When she took her feet and hands out of the water yesterday, the bumps really showed up individually. Today hands and feet are better and seem to be healing. She has had the bumps before at stressful times and they have eventually gone away, but this time they were severe and she could not bend her fingers. This morning she can bend fingers and toes and says they feel like they are healing. They look a lot better, have gone down and smoothed out and have a slight purplish tinge. I wanted to write as soon as I saw the results just in case this could help any of you.
I have a similar thing to what is being described- itchy red spots on skin of the backside of my fingers between the first and second joints of the middle 3 fingers (index, middle and wedding finger (as they call it)). Those fingers are also a little swollen and firm and sore to the touch. For me it has definitely been caused by the cold and is chilblains. The heating and hot water in my house keeps going off and so at times I've been rinsing my dishes in freezing cold water with no rubber gloves. This has primarily affected my right hand I believe because it is the one that stays under the cold running tap the longest while I try and get all the soap off. It could also because connected to it being furthest from my heart. I've had chilblains on my feet before and it feels very similar and affects the same areas on my toes.
To those that have posted about the red, itchy bumps (looks like little blisters) on fingers and hands especially after using cleaning products or washing hands frequently. My hands broke out like this when I was working and had my hands wet frequently & after having baby. My fingers would itch so badly, I slept with socks on my hands to prevent scratching. If I scratched, they would become worse. Dermatologist called it Contact Dermititis, and said cleaning & washing so much I had stripped the acid mantle that protects skin. He gave me some sample cream to dry up blisters but also said to use AQUA CARE LOTION WITH 10% UREA. It cleared it up within a month. Now whenever hands start getting itchy, red, chapped, I just use this lotion a few times & it fixes problem. TRULY AMAZING STUFF! Try it. It's sold over counter. It may help.
I have these and I also have RA. I have tied them in the past to eating grapefruit. I gave up grapefruit and haven't had them for years. I just developed some; always on my right hand. I have not had grapefruit but wonder if it could be related to ph balance.
I also have had these in the past and tied them to eating grapefruit. I stopped and haven't had any for years. Suddenly I have them again; but haven't had grapefruit. I wonder if they are tied to ph balance.
1