scabies advice please doctor

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

scabies advice please doctor

Hey doc, have had scabies for about 4 months, doctor diagnosed. Have done three treatments of permetherin, one of lindane, and keeping house spotless. Laundering everyday. No relief yet. I have decided to try topical ivermec pour 5% from my local feed store, but want your feedback. Can you give me any info as to the efficacy of this? I thank you in advance for any help you can muster.
Hello, Even inspite of the Acarus killed by medication sometimes itch tends to persist(Delayed hypersensitivity). Local application of hydrocortisone for a for days helps here in recovery. Do consult your doc always.
In scabies, topical permethrin has to be continued for 2-3 weeks. Permethrin and oral ivermectin are the best treatment options of scabies. Sometimes itching of scabies persists for a few days after completion of treatment also and sometimes there may be recurrent and chronic cases which may require oral treatment of ivermectin.

It is basically reserved for very severe, chronic and stubborn scabies that does not respond to conventional therapies. So you should continue the permethrin treatment for a few days more and if the symptoms persist then oral ivermectin may need to be prescribed.

There is a rule that all family members of the patient of scabies also need to be treated even if they do not have any itching or rashes. Hence please ensure that all your family members also get the topical treatment. If the itching persists even after treatment completion then oral antihistaminics can be taken because itching of scabies takes some days to settle down.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Hey Doc, I asked about topical ivermectin, not topical permethrin, but thanks anyway.
Your feedback on topical ivermectin is interesting.  In my country this is not available, and surely I too read it as topical permethin ! Thank you, Whatnow1 .