scalp burn from relaxer

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

scalp burn from relaxer

I have chemical burns to scalp from hair relaxer/texturizer.  I went to see doctor after several days of discomfort and itching.  I was prescribed an antibiotic and silvadene ointment, but after two days of treatment, my scalp still itches and there is mild discomfort.  I also have a yellow/brownish discharge from scalp burns.  Do I need a dermitologist referral?/more treatment? or finish the rest of antibiotic (5 more days left)  Can I wash my hair?  It is sticky from discharge.  Glands behind ears are swollen and on my neck.  Please advise!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Continue the antibiotic and ointment as prescribed and you can also take over-the-counter antihistamine to help with the itching. The effect of the medicine may not be apparent immediately but it may take 3 to 4 days to see any effect. Try to avoid scratching to prevent secondary infection. And keep the scalp clean and dry by washing it with warm water. Take care and do keep us posted.