scalp pustules

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

scalp pustules

I have some pustules in my just above the base of my hairline on my neck. Over the past 2 years they have flared up and down. They seem to decrease in size after I was my hair, which I do every night. I have been back to the GP a number of times over the past few months where he has treated the condition as folliculitis, but to no success. The different treatments have worked (deoxycycline, differin gel, and anti-staphyllococus antibiotics) to some effect but never actually get rid of the lumps (pustules) completely. I have also tried a number of home remedies including selsun shampoo, tea tree oil, and anti fungal creams. I have also used hydrozol cream. Just wondering if there is anything else that this could be or any other treatments that have been successful?

I cannot confirm anything without examination,but it can be due to Acne keloidalis nuchae.It occurs when hairs on the back of the head and neck grow into the skin, become inflamed, and cause scar tissue. These ingrown hairs usually occur following a short haircut on the back of the head and nape of the neck.

Treatment of AKN includes suppression of the inflammation with antibiotics and steroid gels or intralesional steroid injections.So apply antibiotic cream like Neosporin or bactroban.If the symptoms persist then oral antibiotics and steroids may be needed.Pls consult a dermatologist in that case.

Larger bumps of AKN present for a while or if not responding to treatments may need surgical removal.

I hope that helps. Please do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries. Kind regards.