Dermatology Expert Forum
tanning

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

tanning

I have been tanning in tanning beds for about a week now and when I am all done tanning a few hours later when I am at home I break out in bumps usually on my stomach and legs and they itch very very bad.  Any reason why this is happening to me?
Amy:

Some people are allergic, or become allergic, to the long waves of ultraviolet light emitted by tanning bulbs.  This reaction has nothing to do with burning.  There's not much to do about preventing it except avoiding tanning, which may not be such a bad idea in general.  We don't know exactly how dangerous tanning rays are, but it does seem clear that they don't do you a whole lot of good.

To treat the itch, mositurizing or calamine lotion or benadryl cream should suffice.

Best.

Dr. R
Hi Amy,

I too get the bumps and unbearable after I use the tanning beds.  The strange thing is, after I develop a tan, I can go to the beds and I don't get the violent itch anymore when I come home.  I have no idea why, but it is very bad only until I build a tan. *and yes, it has nothing to do with burning or not**

Rose
I have that same problem and most of my friends think I'm strange, because tanning doesn't bother them.

Same thing -- a few hours after returning home I get red bumps and terrible itching.  The itching ususally quits by the next day, but it is terrible.  If I take tanning very slow..many days between the next session, it seems to be better.  

Sometimes my legs even feel like they're being pricked with a needle, while in the tanning bed.

It is awful.
I have this same problem also, but it just recently developed.  I have tanned in tanning bed for 3 years and just recently did I start getting these itchy bumps.  The thing is I don't get them when I just tan in the real sun.  Does anything help the itching??

-Kelli
Check with your tanning salon to be sure they are
using a uva recomended sanitizer.  Always be sure to
sanitize the bed before and after it is used.  Lucasol
is the professional recomended brand I use.  I also
periodically spray down the entire surface leaving it
wet for ten min. Wiping it down well.
I get these bumps to! My doctor has said either scabes or heat rash. I always seem to loose the rash before i get to the doc. Iv had it about 4 times now. If i scratch then it speads... it pretty much becomes a huge hive like rash. Benydryl doesnt help me. Coca butter CREAM helps me. slab it on and rub until cream is gone but  you can see the grease. 5 bucks at sallys. oh and like alot of people say deffinetly wipe out the tanning bed really well befor you use it.
A related discussion, red bumps after tanning bed was started.