under the skin itch

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

under the skin itch

My 8 year old son has recently started itching under the skin, on the top part of his feet right at the nail bed but on the skin,
he has no other signs or symptoms. it is on all of his toes, not between them,not the sides or bottoms of his feet.
There is no rash, no scaling or dry skin, to look at his feet, you would not know there was an issue, the nails look fine as well, no discoloration, breaking or splitting. about a week after that started, he developed an itch on his entire back ( once again, under the skin) There is no redness, rash, bumps, lines or anything visible.He says no matter how much you scratch it, it doesn't reach the itch, I started putting an antifungal cream on his toes, that brought no relief.I then started putting a liquid antifungal all over his toenails and rubbed it in very good, no relief there.I then started giving him Benadryl, that stops the itching after its had time to get in his system but it will come back again, so it is just treating the symptom and not the cause.I am so lost, I have no clue what could be causing this, he has no other symptoms. We have ruled out Athletes foot and nail fungas and chiggers, I did take him to the hospital one night after he awoke screaming in agony from the itching, the DR. there could not visibly see any cause and said to continue with the Benadryl.Do you have any thoughts on what this could be?