what is this painful itch?
I've had the so-called  on and off neuro-dermititus on my arms, which happens alternately, right then left, for about 30 years.  The first time I went to the GP he told me it was a nerve thing and prescribed some kind of anti-depressant which seemed to block a whole heap of messages - like closed my head down as well, but only worked for a short time.  I was a vege still with the maddening itch.  So these nerve ends in the arms don't give up without a fight.  I've just had just over a year without an itch but have been suffering again for about three weeks now.  This year is the first time I've found all these people with the exact same exasperation.  We've all found no help medically, but I must say it is a kind of relief to know one is not alone.  The best advice I just read is to liken it to poison Ivy, don't scratch, put ice on as soon as possible.  I'm wondering if hypnosis may be of great help.

This discussion is related to Sever arm itching.
These symptoms can be due to brachioradial pruritis. Brachioradial pruritis is an intense itching sensation of the arm usually between the shoulder and elbow of either or both arms. The itch can be so intense that sufferers will scratch their own skin to a bleeding condition.
The main cause of BRP is not known but there is evidence to suggest that BRP may arise in the nervous system. BRP may be attributed to a neuropathy, such as chronic cervical radiculopathy.

No cure has been found.The only thing that seems to help most sufferers is the application of ice to the area until the itch is diminished. Other treatments include cooling lotions like those containing camphor or menthol,capsacain or local anesthetic creams,amitriptyline and gabapentin tablets and electrical cutaneous nerve field stimulation.

Please discuss this possibility and these options of treatment with your dermatologist

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.