white spots on arm?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

white spots on arm?

over the past few weeks my upper arms have developed white spots on them. it started with one about the size of a dime and then a few more developed, then it started on my right arm. it has also started near my belly button where it looks like the skin color is just really uneven. the last couple of days the veins just under the skin have become very noticeable as well all over my body, i dont know if that is related or not. is this a fungal infection or something else? and is there anything to help it go away?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Just a few questions:

Are these white spots well delineated?

Do they have regular borders that well demarcate the lesion (please allow me to call them lesions)?

Or are the borders irregular and more diffuse?

Also, is scaling present ?

Is there itchiness in the area ?

One differential for this is tinea versicolor. This is a fungal infection that may present as white patches on the trunk and extremities. However, you have noted of veins being evident beneath the skin.

Is it currently cold in your place?

I suggest you have this evaluated by your physician to rule out any possible association between the more visible veins and the white patches.
thanks for getting back to me!

the borders are clearly defined, however they are quite irregular. there is so no scaling and no itchiness. and i live in southern california so its never freezing, however my house is poorly insulated and it does get cold at night.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

This sounds like a fungal infection.

It is best to have your primary physician see this.Tinea versicolor may appear as light white patches over the skin. They may readily resolve with topical antifungal medications however ,the area may stay a little lighter than the rest of the skin .

Have this assessed by your physician.This does not sound like an urgent case but you may need to have this managed to prevent further spread if this is indeed caused by a fungal infection.