Diabetes - Type 1 Community
# of Carbs to # of Blood Sugar units ratio

A community of people with Type 1 or Juvenile Diabetes to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

I know it's common knowledge that the default insulin to carb ratio is 1 unit insulin to 12-15 carbs.

But .... and the answer may be staring me straight in the face .... how many carbs does it take to raise 1 unit of blood glucose (roughly)?

I mean - say my glucose is 70.  I want it around 85 or 90 because I'm afraid of a low.  How much carbs would you need to take in to make it up into that range without overshooting?

I know there's all kinds of factors with blood sugar (emotional, etc.) that bounces it around like a ball .... was just looking for a rough formula.
Avatar n tn
Tony,
The ratio is different for everyone and can be different for the same person at different times of the day.  I suggest that you contact your doctor or diabetes educator, they can properly adjust your insulin or your ratios to get your numbers where you want them to be.  I can tell you from my experience with my daughter who is 8 1/2; she has 8 different carb ratios depending on the time of day and if she has physical education that day.   Yes this does make life interesting. I must always know what the school schedule is or she can get very low or way too high.   On the average 1 carb usually raises the blood sugar 3-5 mg/dml. but as I said this before this is different for everyone.

Hope this helps.
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
Dee1956 commented on photo
Aug 29
PaulaAnn commented on photo
Aug 28
Nighthawk61 commented on mishymoshymarcy's status
Aug 27