Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Affording Test Strips
About This Community:

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Affording Test Strips

Hi,

I am a step mom to an 8 year old diagnosed 2 1/2 years ago.  Her health insurance, which she's had since before being diagnosed, has a deductible that leaves us paying an outrageous amount for test strips.  Her initial endocrinologist (who she hasn't seen in 6 months) recommended the One Touch Ultra glucometer.  What options are there for an affordable method of testing?  Should we see a different endocrinologist?  How can we make this affordable?  

Thank you so much for your help!
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
1711789_tn?1361311607
Hi there!

Changing the endocrinologist would not make the testing affordable. Aside the accuracy, the choice of glucometer should be based on the cost of the strips. The cost of the glucometer is a one time investment while the strips are the actual cost. If repeated testing is required, buying the test strips in bulk may be beneficial. Some stores may offer strips at a reduced rate. You could discuss with a pharmacist as to what would be the most suitable option.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Blank
1029342_tn?1262368566
I use the ReliOn prime, available at walmart, very reasonable price on teststrips.  Meter test a little higher then the Accu Check I have but seems to be consistatnt.  
Best advice I read on testing is (in my own words)
Always test with a purpose.  Before testing ask yourself what am I going to do with the test results.  If your testing just to see what your glucose is, why test.  
ReliOn's Test & learn,  Accu Check Testing in pairs,  both take a before and after test of, meal, activity, ect to see how it effects  glucose.
Accu Check 360 view is testing before & after meals, fasting & bedtime for 3 days.  This gives you a overall view and spots to focus on.  Both have pdf files that can be downloaded on their web sites.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Start Tracking Now
Blank
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
Start Tracking Now