Blood sugar out of control
My sister who is 60 has had diabetes since age 9. For close to two months she has been in the hospital 5 times. She had a seizure to start with for the first time. Since then blood sugar may be 20 and has been 1025. One of the times she left the hospital when she was told she needed to stay.She has now been put in a ward at hospital which she can not leave. She gets hateful and rude she calls people bad names. She had been living alone which we know now is not possible anymore. She swings and hits and has been put in isolation. Doctors just say it is from her blood sugar and nothing is helping to control it. She has had mini strokes before and had high blood pressure. The other thing right now is a UTI showing up. My brother and I are all she has. Thete is no way we can take care of her. When she is acting right she keeps saying she just wants to go home to her apartment which we know is not possible. What can we do.
Hi there!

Well, this would be a difficult situation to comment on without a detailed clinical evaluation. She has there different issues to take care of i.e. the erratic sugar levels, the high blood pressure and a reduced cognitive function which could be complicated by the first two due to a higher chance of strokes; aside the UTI. I would suggest consultation with a neurologist and appropriate medication to control the blood pressure. Sugar levels could be related to other factors such as infections, medications etc and each of these would need to be controlled before the levels stabilize. These can be difficult to control at times and it is good that she is under constant medical care atleast till the levels stabilize. It would be best to discuss the situation and the appropriate management plan in detail with her treating doctor.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!