Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Could my 6yr old have diabetes?

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Could my 6yr old have diabetes?

Hi all:

My 6 year old since March has been showing occasional high blood sugars the highest at 238. I have seen it hit over 200 more than a few times but It will eventually go back to normal. I had her A1C tested in March after doing an at home A1C which was 5.4 and the lab was 5.5 so pretty accurate. She is always thirsty, always hungry and urinates a lot. She complains her skin is itchy, stomach aches, feet hurting her and lower back occasionally. She seems to always have a viral infection she is sick more frequently than most it seems. I have been checking her sugars periodically again and for example I gave her a small glass of soda (which I usually never let her drink) at her sugar shot up to 163 just from that small amount. The other day she had a small cup of juice which brought her up to 191 are these numbers normal??? should I worry? I did an A1C at home test again last Friday since it has been well over the 3 month period and now it is showing 7.2 I know I shouldn’t trust it 100% which is why I made another appointment next week.. I know she is still obviously making insulin because of the fact that her sugar will go down eventually . I am looking for any help on this or advice or past experiences people may have had I would really appreciate it
Yes, unfortunately, those are not numbers you would see in someone without diabetes. Many Type 1's have a "honeymoon period"  where they still make some of their own insulin. The home A1C tests are pretty accurate and remember it covers a three month period so her current high numbers are only a part of the average. I'm glad you made an appointment for next week. I know this is a hard thing to accept, and there will be a lot to learn, but there is no reason she can't live a normal life and will feel much better when her numbers are controlled. Send me a private message for a website with a lot more Type 1 diabetics and parents of young diabetics so you can talk with and learn from others.
Thank you for your help I really appreciate it. Last night my daughter tested 424 after some orange soda so I am leaning towards she is the beginning of it. Very sad but I am greatful that I have lived with a diabetic for over 6 years and I am able to handle this situations. This will be a tougher struggle since she is my daughter and she is little but we will get through this :)

Thanks again.
I would strongly suggest you no longer give her sodas with sugar in them. 424 is very high. I see she is going to be seen by her doctor sometime this week. Let us know how it goes.
Hi again. No definitely no more soda with sugar for her. The endo asked that I bring in her meter to show the level of her sugars and after that reading (and me almost passing out when seeing it) I think it's enough for him to see. I will be going tomorrow morning and I will let you know what happens. Thanks again for all of your advice/help.