Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Diabetes and Social Security Disability

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Diabetes and Social Security Disability

I have been a Type 1 (juv. diabetic) for 25 years & have done well with it.  I was a sales manager for various TV stations across the US.  I decided to quit the rat race 3 years ago, move home and start a licensed childcare center.  Last February I suffered heart failure and at the same time was diagnosed with high blood pressure and high cholesterol.  The meds the heart doctor & internist have me on (Altace, Lipitor, Spironolact, Furesemide, Coreg) all mask the warning signs of an insulin reaction.  My blood sugar can go down to the 30-40 range and I won't know I'm having a reaction until I start sweating profusely.  The children I'm watching have had to feed me OJ, Glucose tablets, PB&J's to get me out of the insulin reaction on more than one occasion.  The pills make me dizzy & lightheaded -- I've knocked over more than one child because I can't keep my balance.  Because of the heart disease (side affect of the diabetes) I can't even pick up the little ones or their heavy toys.  I'm wiped out.  I've recently applied for Social Security Disability.  Do you think my application will be approved.  I'm financially wiped out with all the medical bills and co-pays on the meds (My monthly co-pay is about $250).  Is there any direction you can give me?
I'm of course, not sure if your application \for disability will be approved, as who can predict what the government will do. i should think so by the symptoms you describe. When work becomes difficult or impossible then i should think disability would apply.
bret
Dear PSAEMR,

All of us are volunteers here, but I agree with bl. I have a different disability, but from the information that you gave it sounds like you may qualify for SSD. I am not a attorney but I did have one to help me through the process. I would look up the website www.ssa.gov/disability. This will be a start.

I became disabled over 20 years ago. SSD normally takes three times meeting with a judge and doctors to determine if you qualify. I have to say that I am not sure how much the system  has changed. I also had an attorney that specialized in disability cases which was helpful. He took a small fee out of my disability retroactive pay from the company that I worked for. You can go through the process without one.

You may want to contact our Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation website for the ODST outreach program (online diabetes support team) which is a one on one contact. The website is www.jdrf.org.

I hope this has been helpful and I would love to hear back from you to see how you are doing.

My Best,
dm
I am 21 years old with juvenile diabetes ,I am student and work part time. My medical bill monthly is $ 650.00 . medicaltion weekly 120.00, I can no longer afford my medical bill, can you please advise me, if i am eligable for social secirty insurance.