Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Diabetes

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Diabetes

I am 14 years old and have had diabetes for 13 years. Because Ive had diabetes for so long people think I should have very good control. but the thing is I sont. Im having a very hard time right now and I dont know what to do. I think I am developong depression. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi there, I got diagnosed in high school and puberty wreaked havoc on my control.  Nothing I did seemed to work and it just felt like the harder I tried the worse it got.  I found long, challenging walks or hikes with friends to be very helpful, the long term, low impact cardio worked wonders...this might also help with the very understandable feelings of depression.  Unfortunately, testing a lot was my saving grace, I wound up testing 10 to 15 times a day and continue to do so 10 years later.  This is a total pain and sometimes embarrassing but really helped me get a sense of what was going on, when, and why.  Don't be too hard on yourself. Some days will be good and some will be bad but all the same type 1 diabetes can be insanely difficult and very disheartening. No matter what, don't forget, you are not at all alone.    
You are truly not alone in this. Many diabetics deal with depression, for we deal with a disease that never lets us take a break. It can be overwhelming at times. I understand fully. Been there, done that, STILL doing that, and will be doing that for as long as I live.  :o)

For you, as a girl, hormones are part of the issue at this stage of life. Hormonal changes make everything volatile, including diabetic control. Many girls find that their glucose levels rise uncontrollably at certain times of the month no matter what they do (because certain hormones that make you more insulin resistant are high just before your period starts). Then, wham, you can find that you are suddenly unexplanaibly low for several days because these hormones are dropping and the insulin suddenly is working stronger on you.

I know, 'cuz I am female. I have some suggestions for you:

1. Do talk to your parents. You may need some help from a counselor for the depression or at least the loving care of family members. Some doctors think that all of us type 1 folks should be cared for by a counselor, depression is really very common. You have lots of company in this issue.

2. Start writing down on a calendar your high days and low days so you can see if there is some sort of pattern that might be caused by hormonal swings. If you see a pattern, it helps you understand why it is happening and it isn't quite so worrisome. Also, it can help you maybe go a little lighter in your carbohydrates on days when you expect to run high and maybe to make sure you have some snacks with you at all times when you might expect to run low.

I hope that helps some.
Hey pump girl your a sweetheart I can tell. Type 1 for 30 years. Listen get busy go feed the homeless or something it's actually very rewarding believe it or not it's fun. I never thought after having depression most of my life that I could find something so great to do. Anything like that is great. When you give you receive and when you receive you get healthy. No depression no sadness just love. Totally Cool.  GOD BLESS YOU SWEETHEART!