Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Does Lantus Cause Weight Gain?

A community of people with Type 1 or Juvenile Diabetes to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Does Lantus Cause Weight Gain?

Our doctor recently suggested that our 9-year old start using Lantus in the evenings in addition to her Novolog bolus for meals.  She has gained 5 lbs in the past few weeks.  Has anyone else experienced anything similar?
Avatar n tn
Hello!  I'm not a medical professional, just the parent of a kid with diabetes.  So have you already switched to Lantus and are seeing the gain?  That isn't clear, but I presume that's the case.  

Yes, switching insulins can cause weight gain, as the body reacts differently to different insulins.  Insulins can stimulate the body into causing fat production, and when the body has to learn to deal with a new insulin, it may very well react that way.
Avatar n tn
I never really experienced this, but when I was switched to Lantus my Endo actually told me that there was a possibility of weight gain.
While my endocrinologist insist Lantus does not make you gain weight I have gained back the 30 pounds I lost prior to being put on insulin 6 years ago.

I even started power walking 4 nights a week and did not lose weight.

Very discouraging when weight gain for a diabetic is not healthy.

Good luck with you daughter...My dad became Type 1 at 18 months, my brother at 12 years and me at 33 during my pregnancy with my only child.  My dad and brother are doing great and have been diabetic for a LONG time.

Good luck.
I have noticed a 30 pound weight gain in the past 9 months. My doctor told me that as long as I take insulin I will gain weight. However the question is; Is it the Lantus or the Novolog. When my glucose levels were out of control and I went in to see the doctor on a Tuesday, by the Friday, I had gained 15 pounds and steadily gaining. I am at the point now where I am trying to cut 95% of the carbs out of my diet and increase my physical activity so that I can reduce the need for Novolog, loose weight and eventually loose my need for Lantus as well. Prayerfully this will work. The doctor said that loosing at least 15 pounds would take my insulin dependency level down.
I'm going thru the same thing. I'm going to get a secon opinion on the 8th.  I have gained 20lbs since Sept. when I started Lantus and Novalog. I am very upset.  I'm going to have to buy bigger clothes.  
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
MH Community Mgr is enjoying warm weather th... Comment
May 23
MH Community Mgr commented on Des_a_rae's status
May 23
MH Community Mgr commented on cast out
May 21