Diabetes - Type 1 Community
I AM SCARED ABOUT MY FASTING BLOOD SUGAR LEVEL

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

I didn't see a Topic Area of Pre-Diabetes. I think that's what I may have and I am scared. My reading is 102. I have always been around 97.

I don't know what to do, I don't know what to eat...I know I need to exercise...

I just need some words of wisdom.

Thank you,

SaltyTears
I believe that your concerns are about developing type 2 diabetes (type 1 has its origins in an autoimmune disorder whereby the body's immune system attacks and destroys its insulin-producing cells, while type 2 seems to be more of an insulin-resistance problem with roots often in obesity). There really is no way to prevent type 1 diabetes, but people CAN and DO prevent type 2 diabetes.

So if you are carrying extra pounds -- use this slight rise in glucose levels as incentive to get serious about shedding those pounds. Fat cells are insulin-resistant, and shedding unnecessary fat cells often solves the problem of diabetes and frees the person to live without medications. As for foods, the diet that diabetics are encouraged to eat is basically a healthy diet that ALL people should eat -- the only real dietary thing that may affect your glucose levels a great deal is to perhaps try to make sure that your carbohydrate intake is not overly huge, and that those carbs that you do eat are complex carbohydrates such as fruits and vegetables and whole grains rather than simple sugars.

In the case of pre-diabetes when talking about preventing type 2 diabetes, your incentive should be good overall health. You won't need to do more than take steps to live a healthy lifestyle, and years from now the good habits will pay off for you. I think the real key is for you to make doing this a priority in your life before your health is compromised. Too often, we don't prioritize our lifestyle choices until after we are ill, and this slight rise in fasting glucose may be a wonderful warning to you. At this point, your fasting glucose at 102 is still very comfortably normal, but if it continues to rise (normal ranges from somewhere near 70-126 according to most doctors), then you could eventually become a type 2 diabetic. This rise could have been due to a dinner the night before that was heavy in carbohydrates, so it may mean nothing. So keep trim and eat a healthy diet and your body will thank you. I wish you the best.
I thank you SO MUCH for your post! I can't tell you what it means to me.

I feel calmer just reading it and I was hoping someone would say I could control this with diet and exercise.

Thank you for taking the time to express your opinions and give me advice.

I will refer to your post often.

Gratefully Yours,

SaltyTears
Read the post for encouragement, and then get out there and take a walk!  :o)  I think that all diabetics (I am a type 1 diabetic since childhood) learn in time to live with amazing self-control as far as diet and exercise go, and years later, this can pay off.
My fastin glucose level is 97 but i have alat of burning in me feets and my hands iam concern.help
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
MH Community Mgr commented on 13 weeks 2 days scare...
Jun 30
dontworry_behappy1 commented on jules2551's status
Jun 29
dontworry_behappy1 commented on nan535's status
Jun 24