Is Laser Hair Removal safe for Type 1 Diabetics?
Hi guys,

I have booked in for laser hair removal treatment on my back & shoulders this Friday.

But I want to double check if this procedure is recommended for Type 1 diabetics? I asked the woman about it at the clinic and she was adamant that it will be perfectly fine as she reckons that laser treatment does not pierce or break the skin. I am a little unsure though as I doubt she has any medical qualifications or knowledge on diabetes. My GP is away on holidays so I cannot ask him.

I know that waxing for example is not recommended. I have been taking a look on the web and have seen that some sources (albeit unreliable ones) suggest that it is a dangerous procedure for diabetics and should be avoided. I am guessing this is because the healing process can be much longer?

Can anyone give help or advice on this topic? Is it normal for diabetics to receive laser hair removal treatment without any problems or should I expect a bad reaction? Remember it is my back and shoulders, so a very large area!  

Any help or advice will be much appreciated.

Cheers
Andy
Hi, Andy.  I have had type 1 diabetes for 20 years now.  Two years ago I completed laser hair removal on my underarms and bikini without any problems whatsoever.  I am pretty well controlled, but anyway if you go to a good, reputable establishment for the procedure the worst you can expect is some redness.