Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Juvenile Diabetes Mellitus

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Juvenile Diabetes Mellitus

what is Juvenile Diabetes Mellitus-my son is fourtheen years old,had just been diagnose this type of disease.Mostly want to know everything about healthcare,nutritions,treatment,sports.etc...
Hi . I have diabetes mellitus
( Type 1 diabetes ) I'm 16 years. Old and got diagnosed just when I turned 13 years old so I have had it 3 years. I know how hard it is at this point especcially your son as we ar about the same age and same age at diagnosed. I'm on 5 injections a day most likley this will happen to your son .there are many things with diabetes like hypos low blood sugars and hyper high blood sugars . Just let me know on anything you want to know and ill let you know x hopw your son and you are okay . I remember feeling very upset and angry when I got it
It is Juvenile onset, most type 1 Diabetics are born with it so he got it at 14. I got mine at age 38 type 1 and it does not run in my family. You can learn so much if you go to the free site ADA american diabetic assosiation
www.ada.com  There are healthcare exports on there, meal planning etc..I learned allot on that site. Also how to count carbs, take insulin, etc...Let me no how it works.
Bettyann
Sorry I gave you the wrong site. You will find all kinds of info on Diabetes from what to eat, what causes it, how to manage it, lots and lots more. the site is  www.diabetes.org   I hope this helps. I no it is overwhelming at first that's how I felt at age 38 when I got type 1. Was scared and confused on how this happened since it does not run in my family. You learn allot there more then I learned from my Endocrnologist. Good luck, in time and patience you will better understand. Life does not stop just because we suffer with this Disease but we learn how to manage it and still enjoy life and do everything normal people do..God Bless

http://www.uniklinik-duesseldorf.de/englisch/institutes/germandiabetescenter/page.html

I don't know anything about the German health system but I found a link that might help. Its important that you at least email them so they can refer you to a local doctor because your son needs to see a pediatrician that specializes in endocrinology.  My daughter who is 10 was diagnosed recently with Type 1. There are many studies being done to improve the medicine that controls the blood sugar, but there is alot to learn and do especially at the beginning.
Thats why you should contact the above link. If there is anything I can help you with, email me. I will be happy to help. My husband is also a Type 1 Diabetic.