Diabetes - Type 1 Community
amnesia after a hypoglycemic reaction

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

amnesia after a hypoglycemic reaction

what can be expected.  6 days ago I experienced a hypoglycemic reaction and after recovering I have no memory of things that happened up to 2 weeks prior.  I have no recollection of people that I have known for both short and long amounts of time.  Will my memory eventually return?
The brain is a wondrously funny and mysterious organ.  Neural pathways and synaptic connections we re-build if forced to, and MAY rebuild naturally.  Any pastime or game that requires one to use logic, mathematics and creativity (chess, bridge, especially low stakes poker...unless you're rich...lol) all "force" the brain to activate the synaptic connections where the areas in which memory is stored, and forces new pathways to develop between the right and left sides of the brain itself.  When these electrochemical transmitters encounter resistance, they will find another "electrical connection" to use thereby activating new areas. The short answer is "yes," more than likely you will get at least most of your memory back.  
Have you spoken to a doctor about this? It is normal to not remember much about the incident itself if you become severely hypoglycemic, but that degree of memory loss is somewhat unusual. You should at least mention it to your endo if you haven't already.
thanks and yes CT scans have been done and multiple visits to the ENDO and dietician .  The next step is Neuroligist.  I have had diabetes for 28 years and never experienced this to this degree.  In the past the memory came back after the glucose stabilizes.
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
Control
May 23 by liltruck
dontworry_behappy1 commented on dontworry_behappy1's status
May 22
dontworry_behappy1 .....is rounding up the cows. Comment
May 21