Diabetes - Type 1 Community
fainting, dizziness, headaches in 13 year old

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

My 13 year old dauther passed out yesterday morning, she said couldn't see and lost her balance before passing out.  she later told me that she cannot see for a couple of minutes when she wakes in the morning and feels weak, she said this sometimes occurs during the day as well.  She said she is tired all the time, has headaches.  She has a slight rash on her neck.  I had her urine tested last November because type I diabetes runs on her father's side of the family.  The urine test at that time was normal.  She seems hungry and thristy all the time, but I'm not sure if it is excessive hunger and thirst.  Could this be diabetes?
Those are some symptoms of diabetes--the excessive thirst and hunger and when you say she cannot see do you mean blurred vision, because that could be a symptom of diabetes as well.  If she is frequently urinating, that is another symptom of diabetes.  I would take her to the doctor and get a fasting plasma glucose test.  Getting  blood work is much more accurate than getting her urine tested.  You will keep worrying and wondering until you take her to the doctor and get her checked out.
My daugther said that that when this happens, she cannot see at all for a couple of minutes then she discribes it as her eyes take some time to focus before she can again see clearly.
Headaches and fatigue, and also the vision problems could also be symptoms of hypoglycemia. You might also ask her doctor to do a glucose tolerance test to see if hypoglycemia is the problem. When my blood sugar drops too low, I do get a dry mouth, sort of like being thirsty, and hunger is often a signal that the body needs carbs. So if I were you I would make sure to check for both diabetes and hypoglycemia.
I have a 12 year old and I keep fainting. Frequently, her vision goes out, so she says she's  in complete darkness. My daughter's hearing goes out with it, but comes back minutes before my daughter's vision.
My 13 yr old just had her first episode of fainting yesterday. She had fainted 3 times, all 3 times were all sporadic. Took her to our family physcian and he did a finger ***** to check her blood sugar and it was normal. He also checked for anemia and it as well came back normal. She says before she faints she gets dizzy and her stomach hurts bad. She is scheduled for a CT scan , EEG and a halter monitor to check her heart rthymn. Then tonight she had another fainting spell and she had the same symptoms as the day before. DOes anyone have any suggestions as to what this may be?
My son is 13 yrs too and has had 3 eposides of fainting. One at church and he said he didnt feel good and fainted. 2nd after he got out of the shower he just fainted and then fainted at the drs office after gettin his imunization shots. They are going to give him an ultra sound on the heart to see but he has been checked out blood EKG and all came back normal???
im thirteen and i am always hungry and always thirsty, i have headaches all the time, and i have glasses but i still get kinda dizzy, i am also adopted so i dont know family history. i am concerned about having diabetes, i was told this by my friend, who has a sister with diabetes. she told me to keep an eye one it, but im still not sure, im am not loosing weight i dont think, but i need help, and i dont know what it could be. also im tired all the time, and i have been urinating more then usual. i have also had a cold for the past four months, and i know it is not allergies because i have given it to practically my whole school. does any one know what it could be?
I turned 13 in October(2013), last December(2012) I started to go dizzy, since August(2013) I've been dizzy more a less everyday( its December 2013 now) I recently just started my period- it could be this. I feel dizzy alot after late nights or no sleep- it could be tiredness. I went to the doctors in february(2013) they tested my blood pressure, my ears and my sight, it didn't reveal anything. My mum, grandma and great- grandma have diabetes- so I could have this. You should keep a special eye on it, if it worsens then go to a doctor or If she develops any symptoms of diabetes the go to a doctor
Hope I could help
My daughter had "black outs" on and off for a long time but the pediatrian just told her she needed to drink more water.  She was just diagnosed with type 1 diabletes over a week ago.  I really believe that was an early sign and we just didn't know.