Diabetes - Type 1 Community
good to use insulin?

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

good to use insulin?

i am 11 years old. I have a very slim body. But the day before yesterday i was asked by the doctor to take a blood test, and it came 476 high blood sugar. now i am advised by the doctor to take insulin two times a day-- before breakfast and before dinner. and he also said to buy a glucose meter and test my sugar at times on my finger. but i'm worried thinking will it be good to take insulin or to see a new doctor and will confirm and also take medicine. will it be good to take insulin on my stomach? because it might happen when all the fat in my stomach will long no more. please give suggestions on my query.

From what you've just written you have diabetes, which means your body is not making it's own insulin.  You will need to take insulin by injection now.

This is very important to keep you healthy.  You will need to learn about insulin and testing your blood sugars, and what is normal blood sugar.  YOu will also need to learn to balance what you eat with the insulin that you take.

Will your parents be able to attend a diabetes education class with you.

If you are in the US there are also summer camps for children with diabetes.  These are often subsidised if money is an issue.  They can be an excellent place to learn about diabetes and how to manage it, and you'll meet heaps of other kids with exactly the same experience.

I am sorry that you have to go through this.  It is not fun, but over time you will learn more and managing it will become second nature.

Injecting the insulin on your stomach won't affect hte fat there.  What happens is that you will inject in a slightly different spot each time you inject (this is called rotating injection site) and it will be a very long time before you get back to the same site again.