Diabetes - Type 1 Community
job positions

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

job positions

Being a diabetic what jobs can I not hold.
I believe that jobs such as firefighter or police woman are jobs that you probably cannot hold, for they require physicals and excellent health. Also, any kind of military job is out of the question as far as active duty military, for the same reason, but you CAN work for the military as a civilian employee, oddly enough. Most other jobs have no restrictions on whether a person is diabetic or not. I personally have never had any trouble getting a job because of diabetes. It just isn't a factor most of the time.
Well, the only jobs I have not been able to get is active military.  I was a volunteer firefighter.  Now I am a Police Officer and on a SWAT team.  No one has told me I can't because I am diabetic, short of the military but that's fine in hind sight.  I get along fine with my Humalog/Lantus combo.  I keep glucose tabs with me and check my sugar often.  Also, everyone I work with knows that I have diabetes.  I don't try to hide it and that is best.  I would say no on active military and maybe commercial pilot.  But do what you want, don't let a little thing like diabetes stand in your way, it won't control me, I control it.
Would love to reenlist but I have diabetes. How can I do this??
Diabetes stands in front of my life everyday. I was a truck driver for 22 years and now have been fired because my body gave me a nice gift of the diabetes. I'm not overweight, I'm not in poor health, and I also excersize and control my diabetes. I was making great money and loved my job. All my education was committed to driving. It's all I know how to do. Now I'm on welfare, food stamps, and make no money at all. I'm taking money away from you because I can't do what I'm good at and only know how to do. This country is terrible and hate its discrimination towards diabetics. "The land of opportunity" what a crock.