keytones in the urine
My 3 year old grandson has type 1 diabetes and recently has not been feeling well.  He has been very irritable and has had some high blood sugars lately.  Last night he tested positive for keytones in his urine.  According to the test strips he had moderate to large ketones.  Today he  continues to test positive but with definate large results.  I took him to see his pediatric doctor today and he actually call in an associate to look at him, also.  Although together the two doctors ran all kinds of test on my grandson all they could really find wrong with him was large levels of keytones, a fever, and general flu like symtoms.  The two doctors agreed he should be seen by his diabetes doctor tomorrow if his condition didn't improve.  However, after I left their office he began to throwup and I have no way to reach them after hours.  I am concerned and wonder if I need to take him to the hospital tonight.
I'm a mom of diabetic....get him to the hospital now if you haven't already.  At his age, his keytones will skyrocket with dehydration.  He'll probably need an IV for fluids and a suppository to stop the vomiting if you can't get fluids into him.  Get the on-call number of his Diabetes Dr. or clinic.  They should be able to talk you through treating symptoms before they require hospitalization.  If his diabetes doctor doesn't have an on-call number or clinic on-call, find a new doctor or clinic!  The JDRF website has a guideline sheet for sick-day management.  (when and how to treat - when to call the Dr.)
I totally agree with admom... a young child who is sick and who has large amounts of keytones should be taken to the hospital immediately if he is throwing up. It is much better to err on the side of caution, for keytones can mean real danger in a small child.

The website that admom refers to is www.jdrf.org