Diabetes - Type 1 Community
what is the latest breakthrough for the treatment of Diabetes 1

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

My Son has been with Diabetes 1 since April 24th.  Till now his readings are some how about 130 - 200  from orning till night.  What can be done for him?  
Did you see ABC's World News tonight?  They are testing right now a artificial Pancreas.  My daughter was 7 when she was diagnosed, she did good for a long time, didn't go on the pump, but since she's been a teenager, she's been out of control.  She's 18 now and has been dka hospitalized 12 times in a year.  Very sad, we've tried to get her help, but she just refuses.  But back to the artificial pancreas, that will be a total life change for diabetics.  Let's hope it comes out soon.
hi ,
has artificial Pancreas.been succesfull, on anyone yet . what are the side effects on it .
is there any article on the net for the same  ?
It was on the teenager that they tried this on.  I don't know if there is any side effects except this girl didn't have to check her sugar, the pancreas just took care of it all.  I bet if you go to ABC website, they might have a video of this.  But it's amazing.  I hope it's out in the next couple of years.  I have not searched the net on this yet.
You ask about latest breakthroughs, but you don't mention what treatment your son is currently receiving. Is he being seen by an endo? Is he on a basal/bolus regimen of insulin shots? Do you feel you and he (you don't say how old he is) have sufficient understanding of how to figure dosages? Do you know how to count carbs, and do you have an insulin/carb ratio? Have you told your endo that hs numbers remain high? I'm sorry that is a lot of questions, but rather than focus on breakthroughs that might happen down the road...and let's all hope they do!...you might want to focus on his right here and now treatment.