Diabetes - Type 2 Community
AC1 Level of 11

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

AC1 Level of 11

My husbands new doctor ( endocrinologist) put him on the Novolog flex pin. He said that my husband AC1 level means he will end up blind or on dialysis. Does this mean this is for certain? My husband currently takes lisinopril, lipitor, metaformin, lantus injections 18mm, Novolog 5 unites ( before meals), and glyburide. He is only 39 years old and has gotten to the point where he will call off of work 4 out of 5 times a week from feeling ill. I am very worried but I dont tell him because he is the " tough guy." Do you think this is a medical disability at this point and how can I be supportive without making him feel uncomfortable?
I will attempt to offer some information to help you. First of all I would like to address your husbands A1c lab result.

The A1c test is used primarily to monitor the glucose control of diabetics over time. Depending on the type of diabetes that you have, how well your diabetes is controlled, and your doctor, your A1c may be measured 2 to 4 times each year. A 1% change in an A1c result reflects a change of about 30 mg/dL in average blood glucose. For instance, an A1c of 6% corresponds to an average glucose of 135 mg/dL, while an A1c of 9% corresponds to an average glucose of 240 mg/dL. With this information in mind your husbands A1c of 11% indicates an average glucose of 300 mg/dl which is extremely high and can result in damage to several organs in the human body.

The data presented indicates that you should approach your husband and encourage him to do anything he can to safely regulate his glucose levels and SEE HIS PHYSICIAN. In this case being a tough guy can result in very serious consequences. Please urge him to take this matter seriously. I hope I have helped and if you need any additional information please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,
JeepManDan
I was told my ac1 level was 7.5 , is this dangeriously high, my doctor increased my metformin 1500 mg at supper, i walk 4miles three times weekly do i need to increase?
"He said that my husband AC1 level means he will end up blind or on dialysis. Does this mean this is for certain?"
You may not like what I'm about to say but its my honest opinion. You post as if you don't believe his doctor, an Endocrinologist who has diabetes as a specialty. How long will you and your husband live in denial? No amount of medicine can prevent the deadly outcome of diabetes being ignored. So the answer is YES, if he continues to ignore his glucose [blood sugar] levels he will end up blind, on dialysis, and possibly have limbs amputated. The question is not how soon will these problems arise but how soon will he start to address his diabetes so that they don't arise.

"I am very worried but I dont tell him because he is the " tough guy." Do you think this is a medical disability at this point and how can I be supportive without making him feel uncomfortable?"
Someone has to convince him his "tough guy" attitude is causing his health to fail rapidly. He already is showing severe signs of failing health. You can be supportive and love him all you want but unless your husband makes lifestyle changes to control his diabetes, the uncomfortable feeling he will get is being in an hospital. If it takes making him "uncomfortable" to save his life then do so. You can Google Search for diabetes control methods. There's lots of advice, information, and methods out there on the Internet. Start now before its too late and you wished you had.
The reason he feels sick is because of how high the blood sugar is - with blood sugars averaging in the 300 range - one will feel exhausted - it just feels so yucky.  Mine went up there for a short time when my oral medication stopped working - once we adjusted everything is has been in the high 6 - to 7 range. I watched my boss lose 4 toes in a period of two years because of damaged caused before his diagnosis - because once he discovered it - he kept his AC-1 in the low 6's.   It is so easy to go through times of denial with Diabetes - but his doctor is being honest with him - hopefully changing insulin might help - watching what he eats and checking his sugar often - more often than even the doctors says - so he can learn how his body reacts to what foods - will help him to feel like he is in control.  I have never heard that out of control diabetes is considered a disability - you can help by making sure the food in the house is safe food - so he doesn't always have to say no to what everyone else is eating.  He is lucky to have you! Remember it is a marathon not a sprint!