Diabetes - Type 2 Community
Blood sugar levels

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

Blood sugar levels

I am also having trouble with low blood sugar. My blood sugar goes from 44 to 255. I know normal is 80-120 .
At the Diabetes clinic they said if mine dropped from 50-70 to take gluclose tabs, 8, but my body is reacting like a normal one. I take 4 at 44 which is life threatening low.
I also notice that lately it's dropping after I eat which I don't understand.

This discussion is related to Blood sugar drops after eating.
There really is a whole lot more information that would help your question make sense. I'm assuming you are diagnosed Type II diabetic? What regimen are you on? Diet and exercise? Oral meds? Insulin? You are right that 44 is much too low and 255 is much too high. Your diabetes is obviously not under control. That should be your key goal, making changes in diet, exercise and medication so that, at least most of time your glucose is in range. I'm not sure who told you to take 8 glucose tablets but that is way too much and will make you go high and the yo-yo is not a good thing. Four (or even less) is much more reasonable. 44 is not life threatening, but it is getting into the range of being difficult to treat on your own which is dangerous. You need to try and prevent your going that low on a regular basis. If you are low a lot of the time you are either taking too much medication (especially if you are on insulin) and/or not eating enough carbs or both. You need to talk to your doctor about changing your treatment regimen to get your blood sugar in target range.
Thank you for writing back to me.
I am diagnosed with "insulin resistance" . I have tried Metformin, Byetta, and nothing is working. No insulin. My endocrinologist is going to put in a gluclose monitor on Tues for a week, And probably going to put me in the hospital for three days and I think it's "fasting" to see what happens and when. I am frustrated as I seem to check my blood sugar all the time. I am going to pour water out of my fingertips.  Today I just ate well, and drank three sodas, not the right thing to do but I kept my blood sugar above 90. Otherwise it can go from 167 to 44 in a half hour. I have many other medical issues this is just one that is not under control. I have heart, asthma, adrenal failure, etc. This is getting to me. I am almost afraid to sleep at night.
Another concern, is the gluclose tabs. I am finding the 3-4 when its as low as 44 is ok and will bring it up. As starlix, my Dr. wanted me on a whole tablet three times a day if I am over 150 well that doesn't work either, because it drops it but way down into the 50's . Why is this not working for me and others do fine.
I'm sorry, queenred, it does sound very frustrating. I don't know much about insulin resistance that is not a part of Type 2 diabetes. It sounds like perhaps your other medical issues are making the management more difficult? It does sound like your endo is going to monitor and observe you in the hospital and that will really help them get a handle on what is going on. Good luck on getting it all straightened out. Let us know how you do.
Thank you once again.
How are you doing?
What are you areas of concern. My whole life has been a fight, and health problems. This month I will be 56 and it seems to young to feel so old and sick.
My parents are in their 80's. Gold Bless them.
Let me know if I can help you in any way.
Thank you, queenred. I'm doing good and after I got my Type clarified as LADA/Type 1.5 I became stable on insulin. I know what you mean about age. I am 60 and it's hard to accept being this age and seeing medical problems when inside we still feel young. Sometimes we need help and sometimes we are doing ok and can help others. It all works out. I hope you get some good information that helps you get stable. Hang in there.