Tbd
Causes of Type 2 Diabetes
2firstnamesExternal User
What are preventative measures?
Bob
Obesity?
To ward off diabetes you should maintain a healthy body weight (BMI 25 or less) and eat a diet rich in fruits and vegetables.
Tbd
molla56External User
I understand that eating a balanced diet of whole grains, proteins, and fruits and veggies helps.
Also exercising regularly.
Causes: High BMI, overweight eating foods high in cans & sugar, sedentary lifestyle. Preventative/corrective measures- lose weight, refuse your waist size, exercise at least 30 minutes & if you eat food with 11 grams of carbs or more definitely exercise & more if its higher. Get a glucose meter & target your fasting glucose to be under 100 consistently. If it is high ditch the sugar-it is like crack cocaine sooo addictive probably worse.
Reduce your waist line. Exercise is the key. Newly diagnosed. I'm 35 pounds over weight. I don't run but I did the treadmill yesterday before dinner. 3.25 miles in 1hr @ varied speeds. BG 98. Exercised less than 15 minutes about 2 hrs before bedtime ( crunches & a few other simple calisthenics) waking glucose 89. Without exercise my fasting glucose was ranging 104-115.
Stress, not enough sleep, your microbiome, notnenough vitamins, and diet among other things are causes of insulin resistance.

Insulin resistance causes diabetes.

Your liver makes insulin among other hormones and it can make as much glucose as your body needs. The pancreas stores the insulin until it is needed to move excess glucose out of your blood. Insulin unlocks the cells in the body to allow extra glucose into them for energy. Extra glucose that isn't used for energy is moved by insulin into fat cells for storage.

If you eat too many carbohydrates over the years, your cells become more and more resistant to insulin and it takes more and more to keep your blood level down. You gain weight, because you are eating more carbs than you can use for energy. Your body would rather use glucose from carbs you eat than burn the energy stored in your fat cells for energy, so it says "I'm hungry" and makes you eat more carbs. And then the pancreas has to pump and pump more insulin. Side note- high protein can also turn into glucose.  

Eventually your pancreas may stop working and your liver may not produce enough insulin anymore. This is when Type 2 can turn to Type 1; when your body doesn't produce insulin. (Of course there are those type 1s that were born this way as well.)

Type 1 can be reversed within months with diet. I have reversed pre diabetes (A1C 5.7 down to 4.9) and my brother has reversed insulin dependent Type 2 (A1C now 5.2) and no longer taking ANY medications for diabetes or high blood pressure.

It is controversial due to big pharma and the sugar and corn industries. But it works. If you want to learn more check out the 2ketodudes for starters.
Mistyped. Type 2 can be reversed within months. SORRY!!
Besides being overweight which is the most common reason, there's a lot of other reasons that may cause diabetes type 2. Another thing is age, the older you get, the chance are bigger you can get diabetes.  
I know it's already written, but I'll write it again, if you want to prevent it you should, of course, pay attention to nutrition and your eating habits in general. You can read more in the article below.
https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/diabetes-prevention/preventing-diabetes-full-story/

Exercise regularly and if you didn't check that already, you should see if you have genetic predispositions for it.

Another very important thing worth considering are your sleeping habits. Lack of sleep (or better to say chronic deprivation of sleep) can often lead to developing this type of diabetes. And, below is the article you should check out if you think you do have sleeping issues.
https://www.sleepadvisor.org/diabetes-and-sleep/

I hope it was useful. Greetings