Diabetes - Type 2 Community
Cellulitis - who to see?

A community of people with Type 2 Diabetes to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: nutrition, wellness, symptoms, and treatments.

Cellulitis - who to see?

My husband is 57, has Type II diabetes. He developed cellulitis approx. 7 years ago. Up to this time it has flared up only if or when he bumped his leg. he would run a very high fever, take a course of antibiotics and it would clear up. However, this time he takes the antibiotics and as soon as he quits taking the pills the infection starts back up. We are both at out wits end. I want him to go see another doctor that specializes in this area. Question is what sort of doctor do we look for? If anyone can help I would appreciate any thoughts. This condition is causing my husband to fall into a deep depression.

Tags: cellulitis, who, Infection, help
This is a diabetes forum. Cellitus is a bacterial skin infection normally treated by a the primary care physician. A Dermatologist is the specialist to see.

MedHelp has two forums on Dermatology:
Patient to patient: http://www.medhelp.org/forums/show/65
Ask a Doctor: http://www.medhelp.org/forum_disclaimers/show/115

Avatar n tn
My husband does have diabetes that's why I posted it here, the cellulitis is an added complication as a result of the diabetes. But thank you for the response. Didn't mean to be inappropriate just wanted help for my husband.
No, you weren't inappropriate, not at all. That's why I pointed you towards the skin infection forums. Age and diabetes do play a factor in one getting cellulitus but so does certain types of insect and spider bites. They can transmit bacteria and start an infection. Other causes for bacterial entry are dry, flaky skin, swollen skin, a recent cuts, puncture wounds, and even ulcers from what I've read. I though it was best for you and your husband to address the skin infection at this time rather than diabetes.

Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Track your weight
melimeli commented on renae176's status
Listeria Risk Triggers Huge Frozen ...
16 hrs ago by gymdandee
melimeli commented on mhv's status