Diabetes - Type 2 Community
Diabetes at age 20?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Diabetes at age 20?

Is it possible for a 20 year old to be diagnosed with type 2 diabetes? Or would it more likely be type 1? How late in a person's life is is possible to be diagnosed with type 1?
Related Discussions
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
It use to be rare but, yes it is possible for a 20 year old to have Type II diabetes. Unfortunately, the medical community has reported an increasing number of young adults with this form of diabetes. It is increasingly diagnosed in young adults and late teens that are sedentary, overweight/obese with very poor dietary habits.

Listen to your doctor and if the diagnoses is confirmed help this person control his or her disease.

troytroy
Blank
Type 1 diabetes is generally diagnosed in children, teenagers, or young adults.
People can develop type 2 diabetes at any age, even during childhood.
Blank
783159_tn?1236295418
Yes and a person much older say 50 or more can be dx'd with type one.  Type 1 isn't just for kids anymore.
There is
type 1
type 2
type 1.5
Mody types 1 thru 8
gestational
Blank
Yes it is greatly possible....I am also 20 and my doctor thought I had type 2 diabetes. Recently I found out that I have type 1.5 diabetes. I'm still trying to wrap my head around what is 1.5...lol. I know what is 1 and 2, but not 1.5. Believe me for a 20 year old I feel like I have way too many problems.
Blank
Yes, as everyone is saying, Type 2 can definitely be diagnosed in young people. However, do be sure you have the correct diagnosis, as LADA/1.5 is often misdiagnosed as Type 2 because people with LADA are able to maintain on oral meds for awhile.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Start Tracking Now
Blank
Weight Tracker
Track your weight
Start Tracking Now