Diabetes - Type 2 Community
High glucose reading only first thing AM

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

53 yr old female, 5'5"  and 170 lbs on a muscular, large frame (I was until 3 yrs ago a size 10 and 140 lbs all my life). Routine blood work (in 2006) found a glucose reading of 120 and I was told I am pre-diabetic. I do not have any of the classic symptoms but I am more tired than I used to be - I attributed that to my inability to sleep well through the night the last few years. Although I do not engage in a formal form of exercise, I live an active life caring for two households (mine and my octogenarian parents)and do lots of gardening.
I have no high BP, cholesterol is 200, all other vitals are good.
Since diagnosis I have been counting carbs, eating 50 at each meal. This works well all through the day (readings between 98 before and 138 after, depending on meal content)- except I ALWAYS wake up with high morning readings, between 116 and 126. I can have a reading of 116 two hours after having dinner (around 8 or nine PM) and yet wake up with a reading of 126.  
Does anyone know WHY this is and if it can be controlled without medication?
Thank you -

morning sugars should be somewhere between 70 and 100.  Are you eating a snack before going to bed.  That could be it.  Also could be that you need medication just at night.  You should talk to your doctor.  Good Luck.
I, too, suffer from a high morning reading.  It's very frustrating, I know.  I have been told by my doctor that I may have what is called the Dawn Phenomenon.  It harkens back to the olden days when the body provided a little extra boost to help you hunt down that wildebeast for breakfast.  Nowadays, we don't need that extra boost, but the body doesn't know that.  It still gives you a little "extra" in the mornings sometimes.  I've been doing research into it, and so far, there's no real answer or cure.  Some people have benefitted by eating a protein snack late before bed.  Didn't work for me.  Some people eat carbs (complex) before bed or a Nite Bite bar.  I haven't tried that.  Some people swear by eating a granny smith apple (I hate those), or by taking Apple Cider Vinegar tablets.  I didn't want to pay the $9 for the tablets, so tried to take two tablespoons of actual cider vinegar.  Did a real funky hilarious dance all around the kitchen because of the taste.  Didn't seem to help much either.  So I went BACK to the doctor, who now tells me that I may have sleep apnea (apparently getting a good night's rest is important to keeping blood sugar level - who knew?), and is sending me for a sleep study in the next month.  Try any (or all) of these and hopefully one will work for you.  
I went to the Joslin Clinic when I first learned that I had type 2.  There we were told to only have 15 grams of carbs at each meal; try that and see what happens.
First thing I thought of was the Dawn Phenom, too.  Pretty common, and as long as everything else is ok, especially the A1C, I wouldn't worry about it too much.  If it is 'just' the Dawn Phenomenon, try taking your blood sugar when you wake up and then 30-to-60 minutes later (still before eating) and see if it's still high or if that morning spike really is just a spike and has settled down just by being awake for a while.  

If it stays high, you could try eating fewer carbs at your night meal and avoid sugar-alcohols (the ones the nutrition labels subtract out to get 'net carbs') because they still *are* carbs, and for me, they digest slowly but add up over the day and cause a blood sugar spike many hours later.

Let us know what you try and how it works out!