Diabetes - Type 2 Community
Hypoglycemia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to type 2 diabetes, celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, diabetes nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, gestational diabetes, and insulin pump therapy.

Hypoglycemia

Yesterday I went to the bathroom (just to pee) and when I sat down, I felt my blood sugar dropping.  Usually, by the tme I "feel" it, it's already in the 40's.  I thought I'd be okay for as long as I would be there.  That was NOT the case.  I found myself ON THE FLOOR calling for my fiance' to help me.  He brought crackers and peanut butter.  I ate one square (which was not enough, of course) and he was litterally feeding me as I laid there unable to get up.  He was asking me what he needed to do for me but before he could feed me a second one, I was not even able to think about what I needed to do.  I knew my blood sugar was low, I knew I was drenched in sweat, I was fully aware of my confusion as to what needed to be done to help me.  I asked him to call 911.  He wouldn't do that.  He got me sugar instead (a chocolate swirly thing of his that I normally do not eat).  Within minutes of eating that, I was able to get up and to the bed, with his help.  We were TRYING to go to sleep when SUDDENLY, for NO REASON AT ALL, my inner thighs got terrible crams, then ALL THE TOES on my left foot, and then the anterior side of my left lower leg.  It was HORRIFIC!  I was screaming in pain.  I was getting nauseated.  I was BEGGING him to call 911.  I got the phone and put the numbers in but could not stop screaming to call.  Again, he refused to call for me.  (I think he was embarassed to call and say I was having leg cramps).  I told him this was something more than just leg cramps.  The hypoglycemia episode followed by SEVERE leg cramps and then nausea concerns me.  I have hypoglycemia episodes once or twice a week but do try and control the with diet and excercise.  Sometimes I really do not know why they come, yesterday was one of those instances.  I have NEVER had any sort of cramps or nausea following an episode.  Is this normal?  Common?  Something more serious with my blood glucose?  Something that will effect my heart if it continues?  Please help me find answers.

Gale
Hey Gale!

Well, without a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. The cramps could be due to the hypoglycemia, while other possibilities such as electrolyte abnormalities, vascular issues etc may need to be considered as well. In episodes of acute hypoglycemia, finely grained sugar or candies work better than chocolate along with a little water. Since this was a single episode it may be ignored, however if it repeats you may consider a detailed evaluation by a primary care physician or an internist for suggestion for an appropriate management plan.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Sorry to hear you had such a scary and painful episode. I can't give advice about that specifically, but for your low blood sugar in general, even only having one or 2 a week, you can prevent those. I've had hypoglycemia symptoms since 7 years of age, I'm 37 now. A couple years ago I was extremely sick and tired of being hungry all the time and otherwise feeling terrible. You must remove all grains (they are just too high in carbohydrate) along with other simple sugars like potatoes and sweets. Focus on eating sources of protein like beef, chicken, fish (not beans, they are actually high in carbs), non-starchy vegetables, only a few fruits. For even better guidance, check out Mark Sisson's website, all info is free there. His book helped me so much with my hypoglycemia.