Insulin shots
I know this is a lot of information but I am asking for a specialist to please, please help my family. My father passed away and my mother is totally depressed after 52 years of marriage. She is 69,   5' 5, and 201lbs. Her gall bladder has been removed, has thyroid issues, blood pressure issues, depression, low appetite, no energy and has lost some usage of her kidneys. I know most of this is her diabetes. She takes meds for these conditions. Her doctor has prescribed 2 types of insulin for her to take.

Novlin R U-100 - prescribed to take 17 - 19 units with meals - if her BS is >150 the shot is to be increased by 1unit per 10 of the BS reading over 150

Lantus U-100 10ml - prescribed to take 48 units subcontaneously at bedtime

Mom can only read numbers. She checks her BS, takes her shots (occasionally forgets), takes her meds but does not know how to make her shots. Therefore, she is very dependent me to make sure she gets the proper shot dosage. I have been tracking my mother's BS for the past week. I have averaged her shots out to 18 units after meals and 48 at bedtime. Here are apx. times and readings:

8:00 AM BS fasting avg. is 69 - has breakfast and takes 18 units insulin apx. 30 minutes later
Noon BS avg. is 148 - has small lunch and takes 18 units insulin apx. 30 minutes later
5:00 PM BS avg.is 126 - has dinner and takes 18 units insulin apx. 30 minutes later
10:00 PM BS avg. is 138 - she may have a snack before taking 48 units at bedtime

I understand a good fasting BS level is between 100 and 140. Mom's 7 day overall BS range has been from as low as 51 in the AM to 227 during the day. Questions:

Do the numbers I've recorded look OK?
Does mom need to take all of these shots?
Would a pump control her BS level without her being dependent on someone to make her shot?
Would Medicare cover the pump?
Could I make up some 18 unit shots for her to take?

I need to go back to work and am concerned about her not getting the proper shot dosage.

Thanks for any and all the information anyone can provide.  

There are no medical doctors on this "user" forum although on occasion one may stop in. Post this question on the Ask An Expert Forum - Diabetes Type II where Anita Ramsetty, M.D. moderates. Click on Forums at the top of this page and scroll down.

Good luck.
Sorry, I didn't see that you had already given this info in the prior post and that bmcdani posted to Dr Ramsetty today.
Thannkis for your help.
Chinese medicine have a good effect on Diabetes, when I travelled in Guilin, I bought The Chinese Medicine, I forgot the name of the web, just know "tcmadvisory"

Chinese Medicine helped me a lot.