My blood sugar is going up even with me walking more
I have been diagnosed for 2 years now and I was instructed to test only in the morning. A few months ago my morning blood sugar readings ranged 120-140 at the highest. My reading for the past six months is averaging 175-258. O informed my doctor and she said my A1C went down from 7.9 to 5.7 so she said I am fine, even though I only had one day of a reading of 124 in six months. I was told because my sugar is not out of control I do not need a nutritionist or a specialist
Your optimal BG s/b under 100. If your BG is high after walking, it's because exercise can release stress hormones which raise BG temporarily. Add strength training in the evening & your BG could see am improvement in the morning. Also adjust your diet based on your numbers. Remove refined sugars & high carb foods. Switch to lower carb options. I've been eating Tomaro low carb wraps for breakfast instead of bread.

Fasting numbers from 174 - 258 are certainly far from normal and a concern.

Hba1c of 5.7 still gives an average blood sugar of about 125, which is not normal.   [Was that a one off result, or it is several results at that level?  I would also want to see a repeat test to confirm these levels, considering your fasting levels are high].

You may need a new doctor, as your current doctor is not taking your health concerns seriously.  Diabetes is a very serious health concerns, and associated with many complications over time if it is not addressed.

Asking you to test only once a day, is preventing you from seeing what is happening and also not giving  you the tools to manage this yourself.

You can buy tester and strip quite cheaply.  Please do so, if your doctor won't prescribe.

In addition to fasting, you need to test your blood sugar levels 2 hours after eating.  Please let us know what you find out.

You can also use the after eating results as a feedback to adjust your diet (reducing carbs), until your sugars are in better target.  If you can't get your sugars in target with diet, then medications are recommended.

Ideally, fasting blood sugar is < 95.  (low to mid 80s is ideal).

Post eating is < 120, but close to fasting is idea.

Type 2 diabetes is a condition caused by insulin resistance.  The high blood sugars are a side effect of the insulin resistance.  Thus the treatment of type 2 should be to reduce the insulin resistance.

How to reduce insulin resistance?

1. Cut all added sugar.
2. Cut fructose (especially added to foods, though you may also find it necessary to cut sweet fruits).
3. Exercise daily.  
4. Lose weight, if overweight

Low carb or Ketogenic diet can be helpful for addressing type 2 diabetes and making it's management much easier.

Reiterate!  Please get a new doctor; one who cares about your health and understands the seriousness of your condition.

Hope this helps.  

Very helpful info