Diabetes - Type 2 Community
diabetic with stomach pain and bowel movements with blood

A community of people with Type 2 Diabetes to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: nutrition, wellness, symptoms, and treatments.

hello,
this question is on behalf of my mother. she has type 2 diabetes. the day before yesterday she had a bad stomach ache and when she went to the bathroom, she had blood in her stool. Yesterday she ate fine and bowel movements were fine. Late this evening, her bowel movements had a little of blood more so when she wiped. Should she be going to the ER?
She has an apt with her doctor in 2 weeks, unfortunately that was the soonest since she has no health insurance.
thanks for your help!
Cat
I went to a similar set of problems a couple years ago.  Horrible pain, unable to stomach food,  followed by blood in the bowl after a bowel movement.  And then everything seemed to be find.  I went through this cycle for a few weeks thinking that it was normal since diabetics tend to process things differently (meds, foods and the such).  At one point the pain was bad enough that I went to the ER only to get referred back to my doctor after their tests and a shot of morphine.  What it comes down to is I have UC (ulcertive colitis) bad spelling.  So unless the pain is unbearable or a blood loss large, an appointment will probably be okay in a couple weeks.  Just make sure the doctors office is aware of what is going on before you get there in case they need to set up some tests.
On this forum we can offer more complete information when the subject matter pertains to diabetes. There are numerous causes for blood in stool. eg; hemorrhoids. Try Google search for symptoms, causes, and diagnosis then discuss with her doctor. ER would be the case if she was dumping lots of blood; eg hemorrhaging. Good luck -
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Track your weight
LindaTX commented on photo
May 24
bcmsmom is back Comment
May 24
Foam Rolling
May 23 by gymdandee