Diabetes - Type 2 Community
foods to avoid

A community of people with Type 2 Diabetes to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: nutrition, wellness, symptoms, and treatments.

foods to avoid

I am a 65 year old man.My height is 185cm and my weight is 97KG
My fasting blood glucose was found to be 122 and 2hours after food it was 154 and my AIC was 6.6%.My doctor prescribed for me GLUCOPHAGE 500 twice daily but the side effects of this medicine were terrible and so i stopped it. I tried to walk for 1/2 hour daily and to avoid sugars but my problem is that i eat alot of bread and rice. Please advise me what foods to avoid and if there is an alternative to GLUCOPHAG.

Regards
MOE100
  • What to do next? (4 replies):
    Was just newly diagnosed and was given a medication to t...[more]
  • food (4 replies):
    what kind of food will i eat as a diabetes patient
  • Mornig Blood Sugar (1 replies):
    Normaly my bedtime glucose level is 130 to 140, and morn...[more]
  • diet trouble (1 replies):
    I am a 57 yr old women and recently had to have 2/3 of m...[more]
  • DIABETES (3 replies):
    what type of food should you eat when your doctor tell y...[more]
Not everyone can tolerate medicine/drugs alike. Glucophage, or commonly known as Metformin, MUST be taken with foods or one will experience nausea/upset stomach. If irritation continues discuss with your doctor these other medications as I'm not aware of what is available to you in your country of residence. http://www.*************.com/diabetes/find-drug.html

"Please advise me what foods to avoid.... eat alot of bread and rice."
I've said this before in other posts and I'll pass it on to you as well; Besides watching sugar in your diet-- you also need to watch carbohydrates (starches) carefully too. For example, things like breads, potatoes, pasta, crackers, etc. can cause a drastic rise in your blood sugar if you aren't careful. (They are converted to sugar after you eat them.)

Other foods/drinks need care too (example; milk, fruit, fruit juice) can also cause blood sugar to rise (so serving sizes and moderation are important). With fruit it’s important to eat them with other foods to slow the absorption of fructose (fruit sugar). I'm NOT saying that these foods aren't allowed. What I AM saying is that you need to use care and follow the guidelines for diabetics. Google "diabetes nutrition" and "glycemic index" for recommendations.

If you have an Endocrinologist, a diabetes doctor, or a diabetes nurse, or a nutritionist they can help you a lot with nutritional guidelines. (Serving sizes, and how many servings of each type food that's safe for you.)

Well, that is silly to ******* censor a health link. The link name spelled out is health central (one word) *******.
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Track your weight
House passed the Dark Act H.R. 1599...
3 hrs ago by gymdandee
melimeli commented on melimeli's status
melimeli commented on spider6's status